Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery going dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
Lately if I let my car sit for more than a day or two the battery will be dead when I try to crank it. I've noticed that for about the same amount of time that this has been happening that occasionally while I'm driving the temperature gauge will jump around, it usually dosen't work at all, so I'm guessing that may point to something that is causing the drain.

I just need to know where to start, or maybe some of you have had a similar set of conditions and can tell me what had gone wrong.
r_towle
Start with getting a load test done on the battery.
That can be done at AutoZone or Sears for free.
See if the battery can hold a charge properly.

Even if its just a year old, and I know you let it sit for a while, if the battery ever froze or became totally discharged, you may have ruined the battery.

First, get it tested to ensure it can hold a full charge and deliver that charge...that is the load test.

Second,
Stereo....unplug it all..memory etc.

From there, we have som few circuits in the car...its really simple to remove the red wires from the postivie terminal and remove all the circuits.

You can get all fancy with an amp meter, but removing the fuses is faster....

Unless you are leaving your lights on, or leaving your blinker on....nothing draws from the battery except the modern stereo and amp.

So, this is why I suggest you look at the battery first...it may be the cause.

Rich
PRS914-6
If Rich's suggestions don't fix it here is how I chase down electrical problems with a known good battery......

Disconnect the positive battery lead and clip a Fluke meter "in line" on the amp setting between the battery and cable. Pull fuses one at a time until you see the current drop. When it does, you know the circuit to examine.

Pretty simple really
Root_Werks
I did a search:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...111442&st=0

ripper911
Thanks all! I'll try disconnecting the stereo and having the battery checked first.
904svo
If you need help just PM me. I live in Woodstock, GA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.