Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burling Aluminum trim pieces
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I might give this a shot on this '73 that I'm hacking on. I've got a console that I wanted to get creative with so I grabbed some .032 aluminum and cut a few pieces to play with for gages or maybe an engine monitoring system? Dash? The idea is to do this on the home bench press and to K.I.S.S. I've realized that 5/8" circles aren't my choice. I'll probably use 1.5" or 1.25. The final blank will be polished before the circles are set, to maintain uniformity. I might play with a black die to tinge it before a clear coat as an after thought. In two of the pics I think you can see that I staggered the spacing. It makes a neat visual effect where the two meet. BTW, this was free hand on one plane. Currently at the "Farting around in the garage, again" stage. smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif Or maybe my cam will come early and I'll say "Screw this nonsense; I'm putting my engine together." lol-2.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jmill
Sweet! aktion035.gif

Brings back some 70's Trans Am memories.
Cairo94507
You took the words out of my mouth. Metal shop in HS in the early 70's.
jasons
Looks good! What did you use for a tool?
majkos
smoke.gif That simply ROCK aktion035.gif
I've a couple of old aftermarkets ones that could use some "freshing up"
914.SBC
I used the same thing recenlty on my dash, center console and radiator shroud. It gives it a different look. I will get used to the interior but I may change to polish aluminum.
Mikey914
You should at least wax these while they are shinny, otherwise you'll wind up polishing again.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(jmill @ Mar 24 2011, 08:49 PM) *

Sweet! aktion035.gif

Hahahaa, 1978 Trans Am! Used to cruise the Boulevard (El Camino) in San Jose 1980's. Sweet stoney memories!!!
rick 918-S
Hard to see but I did that to my adapter plate
McMark
I think it's an interesting look. Very aircraft....

If it were me, I would order a sheet or two of professionally done aluminum. On those plates all the circles are evenly spaced.
76-914
QUOTE(jasons @ Mar 25 2011, 06:37 AM) *

Looks good! What did you use for a tool?

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=201 You can purchase these pieces individually. OT: If you hate cheap drill bits, buy some of Avery's cobalts bits. They stay sharp longer than any bit I've ever used. But then again I'm not a machinist and privy to the best. This is a very professional small Mom & Pop company.
914.SBC
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 25 2011, 02:53 PM) *

If it were me, I would order a sheet or two of professionally done aluminum. On those plates all the circles are evenly spaced.

Yeah, I can see it on the adapter plate. I love it!! Are those aluminum heads?
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 25 2011, 02:53 PM) *

agree.gif It's absolutely imperative that the spacing be exact. I noticed that early on. I'll probably use something like a set of dominoe's or leggo's to use a guaging blocks. If I end up with something that I feel is presentable and doable I'll do a quick threead or video on it. BTW Mark, I didn't know how to source this material, either. Who sells it?
76-914
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Mar 25 2011, 08:05 AM) *

I used the same thing recenlty on my dash, center console and radiator shroud. It gives it a different look. I will get used to the interior but I may change to polish aluminum.

Yes, I responded to your thread when I read it. Your post and me being at the scrap yard, got me off my arse. Did you ever post any close ups?
SLITS
Damn Kent ... you're dizzy enough without staring at all those circles going down the road.

unsure.gif
jmill
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Mar 25 2011, 02:50 PM) *

QUOTE(jmill @ Mar 24 2011, 08:49 PM) *

Sweet! aktion035.gif

Hahahaa, 1978 Trans Am! Used to cruise the Boulevard (El Camino) in San Jose 1980's. Sweet stoney memories!!!

aktion035.gif I would always cruise El Camino in the 80's and early 90's. I'd stop off at Carosi Burger (sp). Then the cops threw down the gauntlet with the no cruising laws. headbang.gif
VaccaRabite
I have always loved that look but would want it is a matt black or some matt color to stop the glare issue.

Zach
sixnotfour

here is all the patterns you will ever want;
http://www.fpmmetals.com/color%20pg..htm
76-914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 26 2011, 04:19 AM) *

here is all the patterns you will ever want;
http://www.fpmmetals.com/color%20pg..htm

I think I'll pass. BTW, this is a plastic overlay. I would need neon lights shinning from beneath my car to compliment these works of art. tooth.gif
sixnotfour
you missed this page, your work is great .

http://www.fpmmetals.com/architectural_pricing.htm
underthetire
Boy does this bring back terrible memories. When I was younger, my father set up a shop in the garage to re-make the tri 5 tbird dash and panel trim. Each engine turn stamp was done in a jig by hand with a hardened die. Talking about manual labor.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5085/532265...831111348_z.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.