Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plugged injectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clow
I have a 1973 1.7 with original injectors. I am coming right along and got the fuel hooked up. I tested the injectors and have 3 that aren't spraying, the other is. So just to be sure its not the harness I tried them all in the socket which was firing and nothing. I used an ohm meter to see what I got through them and they ALL ran 2.5. So if they were all the same, including the spraying injector I am thinking just plugged!?
Any thoughts on my assumption?

Now there is nothing coming out, so I wouldn't think fuel additives would help. Any idea how to clean them. I would like to try it myself but do shops have a secret and/or a machine to clean them? Maybe its time for some new ones, but just to see if I can get the engine going it would be nice to have these cleaned up for the time being. Any parts ordered take a minimum a week and a bit to get in. (Canada)

Thanks in advance,

Clow
r_towle
What I have used is Tektron FI cleaner.
Put it in a glass jar and leave the injectors in there for a few days.
Hook them up and try them again.

the other thing to use is a ultrasonic cleaner...Harbor Frieght sells a small one.

Rich
Mark Henry
More likely the pintle is seized, take a dull pin or something like it and press on it (the hole in the plastic tip) you should feel a click. Try the good one for a reference. If it's sized and soaking them like Rich suggests doesn't help they might be done.
If they have been out in a shed check that a mud dauber (type of wasp) hasn't built a nest in the injector fuel inlet, fuel rail or the fuel hose.

I may have a few hanging around, if not Mike's 914 in Colbourne may have some good used ones.
luskesq
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 24 2011, 08:32 PM) *

More likely the pintle is seized, take a dull pin or something like it and press on it (the hole in the plastic tip) you should feel a click. Try the good one for a reference. If it's sized and soaking them like Rich suggests doesn't help they might be done.
If they have been out in a shed check that a mud dauber (type of wasp) hasn't built a nest in the injector fuel inlet, fuel rail or the fuel hose.

I may have a few hanging around, if not Mike's 914 in Colbourne may have some good used ones.

What I've done is tested the injector by using a 9v battery touching the inector pins to make sure the pintle isn't seized. On the inlet port use something like a wood screw (find the right size) and screw it gently into the inlet until it bites. Pull straight out and you pull the filter. Make sure it isn't plugged. Then as suggested above, soak for hrs-days in f.i. cleaner and I also found the Techtron (sic?) worked the best. I also used a cheaper jewelry sonic cleaner for an hr or so in the Tech solution. Before putting back in I turned the injector upside down, filled with injector and touched the battery (spurts) to the pins to make sure that fluid was flowing through it. 9v didn't cause a spray though, voltage too low I guess.

Good luck.

keith
sfrenck
You could mess with them for a week and then send them to be cleaned and tested.... or just send them to be cleaned and tested. Rich @ cruzinperformance.com does excellent work.
Mark Henry
Ever come to Port Hope?
I have 3 (out of about 20) yellow tops that the pintle moves.
I'm 10km north of the 401.
clow
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 25 2011, 11:01 AM) *

Ever come to Port Hope?
I have 3 (out of about 20) yellow tops that the pintle moves.
I'm 10km north of the 401.

I will be close for school next year (Oshawa) But not to often I make it up, only a couple times a year. Maybe I will have to try to plan to stop in next time I am passing through?

So I took some advice and gave the pintle a small press, which got them spraying! The spray isn't the best yet but I have them soaking in cleaner right now. Maybe I can get the car to run this weekend! I bought a battery today so no more killing the Civic every time I wanted to turn the 914 over. <_<It will be the first time in 27 years this thing has seen combustion, well 1 month since a fresh rebuild. Oh and the first 914 I will have ever heard running.
Mark Henry
Going to Durham college?
Stop by when you do, I'm about a half hour away, near Brimacombe ski hill.

Make sure you cut the old hose ends off of those injectors and use proper FI hose clamps. Don't use regular worm screw hose clamps unless you like fires.

clow
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Mar 25 2011, 12:32 PM) *

Going to Durham college?
Stop by when you do, I'm about a half hour away, near Brimacombe ski hill.

Make sure you cut the old hose ends off of those injectors and use proper FI hose clamps. Don't use regular worm screw hose clamps unless you like fires.

University of Institute of Technology (UOIT) and accepted for mechanical engineering. I am considering automotive engineering but I can wait for the first year to finish to decide if I want the switch. Its all the same(ish) first year.

Clow
Mark Henry
QUOTE(clow @ Mar 26 2011, 01:18 AM) *

University of Institute of Technology (UOIT) and accepted for mechanical engineering. I am considering automotive engineering but I can wait for the first year to finish to decide if I want the switch. Its all the same(ish) first year.

Clow

Ohhhh.... you're young so here's the FYI, you are going to Durham college rebadged with a fancy new name to charge you more money.
shades.gif

BTW it's University of Ontario Institute of Technology, many moons ago I worked there. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.