Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: racing numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
Told Darren at GGR@GGF a/x today about my idea.

Whatta you think?

Take a magnetic sign kit and a 6" vinyl number kit and make several number combos.

The magnetic material is very easy to cut with a sharp razor blade.

I'll make a complete number kit with 2 of each number so I can produce any number I want regardless of what has already been chosen.

I want to run 07.

Look for me in Reno. You can borrow some numbers if you want to try it out.

It seems very practical, esp. for multi driver cars.

Total cost is around $40 at any office store.
SirAndy
magnetic numbers are know to fly off during spirited driving ... wink.gif

some people tape the edges to reduce the drag,
Andy
Trekkor
I'll experiment on the back roads wacko.gif

My mag signs on my truck never come off.
Even at ** mph wink.gif

BTW, mags dunna sticka to tha bondo. lol2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 2 2004, 10:59 PM)
BTW, mags dunna sticka to tha bondo. lol2.gif

yeah, you might wanna try that first, most teeners came with bondo in the doors from the factory ... wink.gif

Andy
Trekkor
I guess so . My car looks pretty straight.
I was looking for a good spot to stick my WWW.WILLSTILE.COM mag and found a spot on the door where it just kept peeling off at 0 mph. headbang.gif

bondo bummer
Martin Baker
J P Stein
Had a whole set made up. Haven't had any problem with em' comming off.
lmcchesney
Like the idea trekkor. What is a source of the magnetic pad?
Is the magnet enough to wrap the oil filter for removal of filings?
L. McC
Bruce Allert
Mine haven't come off yet either. Forgot to take them off after AX once & even was on the freeway at 70+

......b
Trekkor
Looks good on your cars, guys.

L Mc C, I found a kit a Office Depot.
I don't believe these will do your oil filter though.

Obviously, this is no new idea.
They want $60 to make one set.
I like the idea of being versatile, any number for any event.

My wife found a little plastic containter to hold all 20 pieces.
It's kinda like refridgerator numbers for BIG KIDS. cool_shades.gif

I saw one peel off last week at Marina.
The guy had his over the top of his body moulding, so it never really laid flat to begin with.

pics coming...
seanery
My PCA region uses magnets at DEs. I had mine on all weekend, even drove home with 'em on. No problems.
Brad Roberts
I watched two different Boxsters lose their numbers yesterday at the GGR AutoX. We use really thick vinyl numbers that can be reused over and over as long as you wax the area prior to install.

B
Demick
You can by magnetic sheet at Tap plastics (buy it on a roll by the foot), as well as adhesive vinyl in any color you want. Total cost for my numbers was $10 I think. Never lost them at speeds up to 90mph.

Demick
Randal
Mr. T.

When I was up in Napa last week that sign place down on Jefferson (by Taco Bell) made a "InTouchDigital.com" sign for me that I'm going to put on my back spoiler.

They put it on trade show lexan, so when you put it on the car it'll look the same color.

Now to figure out how to attach it??

BTW it was only $24.00 and looks great.

Randal
djm914-6
For the Bondo challanged cars...

When I was AXing, I used shelf paper. This can be bought at Target or Wal-ly World for about $6 a roll and last an entire season. I used cardboard stock for templates and cut out the 12" numbers I needed that day.
Trekkor
Here's 07
Trekkor
07 (Euro lights now)
Porsche Rescue
Went to TAP Plastics today and got 12"x24" magnetic vinyl in white for $5.95. Been looking for a less costly method for a while. Can't make myself spring for $60-$80 numbers. Thanks for the tip Demick. Now to find some #'s. So far best I can do is 5" black at Home Depot. I cut two 12" gumballs (probably should have bought more vinyl to go 16-18")
so I want to see if I can fit 6-8" numbers. So far best I can do is $15 for a pair of 6" 10's at Signs Now. Anybody got a better (cheaper) idea.
Bruce Allert
Hey Jim, I got my 6" numbers at Ace hardware. Black plastic & used them to trace on the magnetic sheet. Used a box cutter & they weren't too bad....

......b
Trekkor
I found a 6" number kit at office depot.
Something like $5

They have black, red and blue.
Porsche Rescue
Final report: 12" x 24" of magnetic white vinyl from TAP Plastics ($5.95), set of 6" black vinyl stick-on numbers from Office Depot ($7.28). Thanks Demick and Trekkor. Draw two 12" circles with a compass, ask wife (better with scissors than me) to cut out the circles, do some measuring and stick on the numbers (0 not quite straight, she said, "who will notice, you'll be going real fast"). Not quite ready for LeMans, but ought'a do for PCA autocross. No more shoe polish!!
Bruce Allert
That looks great Jim and a clap56.gif to yer wife beer.gif

.....b
Trekkor
Very Nice boldblue.gif

Mine seems to get the best "bite" on the sail panel.
ppickerell
At the Marina AX smilie_pokal.gif I taped my numbers on, and as soon as I turned around my son ripped them off and re-did them with racing tilt finger.gif . Aerodynamique, no? I'm off to Tap and Home depot.
Porsche Rescue
Patrick, Office Depot, I struck out at Home Depot. They only had 5".
campbellcj
I too had mag numbers fly off at high speed...actually not that high, maybe 85. Usually they are OK up to about 100 so fine for autox but not the best choice for track use. Mine were several years old and really shot - they were actually taped and still flew off.

Sooo...now I went with semipermanent vinyl numbers that I just leave on all the time. Of course I only drive maybe 100 miles/month on the street so it works OK for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.