Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alignment in San Diego?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
warpig
I was changing the front brake pads yesterday and just look at that nasty wear pattern. mad.gif
This is in about 6 months of daily driving on new tires. The car pulls slightly to the right, and shakes a little bit around 65 mph when driving straight but not when going around a curve. WTF.gif
Both sides look about the same and the excess wear is on the inside edge. I have 2 questions. What causes this unsightly wear, and who can fix it right the first time for little cash in the SD area? Any info as always, is greatly appreciated.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Too much negative camber for a street car will cause that. Easy fix.
Eric_Shea
Could be a toe issue as well. Which side of the tire is that on?

Edit: Sorry, appearantly I need to learn how to read! 051103-stupid4.gif

-camber or toed "out"
CG-914
normally it an easy fix.
but you sad 'it pulls to the right..'

You may need to rebuilt your front break calipers!
Did you had an uneven wear at the front break pads?
warpig
QUOTE(CG-914 @ Mar 27 2011, 12:10 PM) *

normally it an easy fix.
but you sad 'it pulls to the right..'

You may need to rebuilt your front break calipers!
Did you had an uneven wear at the front break pads?

No, the wear was even left and right but both sides seemed a little more worn on the outside pad. Don't really want to try and fix it myself. I would rather take it to a pro preferably one familiar with 914 issues in general.
mwyatt
I'd also like to know who is the best person to go to for a 914 alignment in San Diego.
73Euro911S
I would recommend Wayne Baker's shop, Personalized Autohaus 858-586-7772. They have worked on air-cooled cars for over 30 years and do things right the first time. I've been using them on my cars for years. They currently support several 914's for race customer's and understand how to set a car up for street or track.

Nick
wobbletop
Toe usually causes more tire wear than camber.

You can check toe yourself using strings. Might be a good idea to check it both before and after you get your alignment. Would give you a good reference for the future if you need to change your suspension setup.
sean_v8_914
Mirage International, Jae Lee does my 914 customers.
Black Forest, owner John Rickard has owned and raced a 914 fro 30 years.
RSR Motorsports, Ryan Calvert is Porsche factory trained

fix for little cash...I dont know anyone but the above guys will do it correctly which will save you cash, tires and your time
DonTraver
Jae Lee at Mirage International. He installed the PSS 10 system on my RS America, aligned and corner balance it. I made the final adjustments on the Nurburgring. Now she just has a touch of understeer. Sweet.
Drums66
......Could also be caused by repetitive under inflation idea.gif
bye1.gif (check that first)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.