Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This years tire question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
So,
For years I have run 205/50 tires on my car, on Fuchs.

This year I have decided that I would like to run the tallest (close to stock) and fattest tire I can get in there.

I like the width of the 205/50, but I want the taller tire for ride comfort, fill out the wheel well better, and for highway cruising without over revving my motor...which the short tires do very well, thank you.

So, is my choice just 195/60 15, or can I get fatter tall tires?

Stock pulled fenders, lips rolled over already...
Happy to pull them out a bit more if needed...I am not shy about that.
No hammer/dolly work will happen on this round.

Rich
mepstein
I had Yoko A008 in 205x60x15 size on 2.0 Fuchs. Fit fine on stock fenders. Would have still liked something a little less buzzy on the highway.
messix
i have bfg 205 65 traction ta, rolled and slightly pulled fenders.

the problem isn't the rear but the front, the tires hit the front edge on the valence or spoiler on turning, all though i'm using cheepo empie type 8 spokes.
detoxcowboy
Rolling on 205/60's on 2.0 FUCH 's. You will like the ride better than the 50's and retain the width.. on top of that they fill out the fender holes all around very nicely so you will loose the "Japanese" or "Hot Wheel's" look of the 50's as well// plus you do not have to roll or pul your fenders..

Rich sersiosly though 205/60's is the way to go..
r_towle
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 27 2011, 03:36 PM) *

i have bfg 205 65 traction ta, rolled and slightly pulled fenders.

the problem isn't the rear but the front, the tires hit the front edge on the valence or spoiler on turning, all though i'm using cheepo empie type 8 spokes.

Empi, or any of the other non-914 wheels will move the wheel farther away from the centerline of the car by about 1/4 inch or so...cant remember the exact amount.

That might be interesting....
How close to stock diameter are the 205/65?

do you have a pic you could post?

Rich
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 27 2011, 12:35 PM) *

I had Yoko A008 in 205x60x15 size on 2.0 Fuchs. Fit fine on stock fenders. Would have still liked something a little less buzzy on the highway.

The "buzzy" is tire tread desighn / manufacture ect.. not size of course?/ if thats what you meant forgive me please..
r_towle
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Mar 27 2011, 03:39 PM) *

Rolling on 205/60's on 2.0 FUCH 's. You will like the ride better than the 50's and retain the width.. on top of that they fill out the fender holes all around very nicely so you will loose the "Japanese" or "Hot Wheel's" look of the 50's as well// plus you do not have to roll or pul your fenders..

Rich sersiosly though 205/60's is the way to go..

I hear yah, I just raced it for years with hoosiers and these 205/50's for street use.
I am way to cheap to replace tires till they are done.
These are now done..to old and to worn out.

Now I seek the softer ride.

I will see what I can get in 205/60
The typical challenge is what is available on the market today...always a pain to find decent tires for this car.

Rich
messix
they look kinda like i'm running 4x4 tires.
mepstein
I meant from the rpm but I think the tire was sort of noisy too depending on the road surface. My front tires would touch the wheelwells under full lock but only brush lightly. I don't think it even wore off the undercoating.

Our PA roads will kill the low pro tires and alloy wheels that some people run. I just drove up to northern VT and the roads looked like they were carpet bombed. Worse than usual this year. Glad I had big truck tires.
r_towle
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 27 2011, 03:49 PM) *

they look kinda like i'm runninf 4x4 tires.

Those certainly "fill out" the wheel wells.
I think 205/60 might be the ticket.

Now...what tire...hmmmm

Last set was Yokohama ES100 that I got after a guy here told me he liked them.
Well, that was a CA warm weather suggestion.
Those tires suck at any temp under 50 degrees....slippery and no traction till super warm.
Great summer tire, but where I live, 50 degrees in the morning happens till June.

So, I need something a bit more smooth...and alot less of a summer compound.

Rich
Als914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2011, 12:28 PM) *

So,

This year I have decided that I would like to run the tallest (close to stock) and fattest tire I can get in there.

I like the width of the 205/50, but I want the taller tire for ride comfort, fill out the wheel well better, and for highway cruising without over revving my motor...which the short tires do very well, thank you.

Rich

I run P205/65/R15 Bridgestone, Potenza on 2.0 Fuchs on the rear of my stock, non-rolled fenders with a little room to spare...Does not rub at all.
r_towle
So, I like the price and V rating of these two.

Goodyear Eagle GT (V) at $292.00 for four
Khumo Ecsta LX Platinum ,also $292 for four.

I may try the Goodyears for a change of pace.
I have had Yoko, Khumo, and Pirrelli....not a super fan of any of them.

Michelins have two tires that might also be nice, but it may also be overkill for the car...price and requirement.

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S H rated, $416 for four
Michelin Primacy MXV4 H rated $416 for four.

What to do...
Any thoughts?

Rich
r_towle
looks like 25.25 is what the OEM diameter might be...at least according to Coker.

The ones I listed above are 24.7 ish...some are smaller.
Goodyear is the largest of the pack.

Just for fun I looked at the most recent Yokohama 205/50 15
23" diameter.
So that is over 2 inches smaller diameter than stock.....lol

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(Als914 @ Mar 27 2011, 04:05 PM) *

So,

Rich

I run P205/65/R15 Bridgestone, Potenza on 2.0 Fuchs on the rear of my stock, non-rolled fenders with a little room to spare...Does not rub at all.

Interesting...
Those are 25.5 in diameter...a .25 larger than stock.
Do you happen to have a picture?

Rich
dlkawashima
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2011, 01:10 PM) *

Any thoughts?

If you're looking to lower RPM's 205/65R15 would be closer to the stock size.
rick 918-S
205/60/15= 24.7/8.1/15 847 revolutions per mile

205/50/15= 23.1/8.1/15 817 revolutions per mile

1.6" taller is a nice bump This will fill up the wheel well giving a closer to stock retro look and keep the contact patch you would loose by going to a 65 series tire.
r_towle
Probably gonna go with the Goodyear GT this time...just cause I never tried them.

Now
205 60 or 205 65?
New question on another thread...
215/60.... not sure if those will fit.

Rich
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2011, 04:39 PM) *

Probably gonna go with the Goodyear GT this time...just cause I never tried them.

Now
205 60 or 205 65?

Rich

Not sure if you can even get that size in many popular brands. Not saying you can't but try searching your favorite/any online tire stores for that size and see if it still is available. Many tire brands are phasing out the odd 15" sizes.
r_towle
Tire Rack has them.....seems like it would be a stretch and I dont like the way tires handle when on a rim to skinny...they roll alot.
My son will mount them...so whatever I bring him, we will make fit...he hates my hoosiers...those are a real PITA to mount on stock fuchs...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2011, 03:39 PM) *

Now
205 60 or 205 65?

Rich

215/60/15 = 25.2/8.1/15 Your not changing the tire width. Your putting 205/50 and 205/60's on 5.5's

I like the 215 size. I don't think it will be seat of the pants noticable. Discount tire is listing that size on Ebay with free shipping
r_towle
ummm,
I thought the first number was width?
Shows the 205 fits on a 5.5 wheel.
Shows the 215 fits on a 6 inch wheel.
Not that some internet spec will stop me...lol

Stock size appears to be 25.25
So, the 215 seems to be right on the money...or as close as it will get.

Rich
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2011, 03:55 PM) *

ummm,
I thought the first number was width?
Shows the 205 fits on a 5.5 wheel.
Shows the 215 fits on a 6 inch wheel.
Not that some internet spec will stop me...lol

Stock size appears to be 25.25
So, the 215 seems to be right on the money...or as close as it will get.

Rich

Here's the two calculators I was using. confused24.gif

http://www.redrock4x4.com/tireconversionca...nName=Calculate

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

I may go with 215's too. I have a nice set of Enkie 92's 15 X 5.5
r_towle
truck guys and miata freaks....can you really trust them?
I was reading the specs on tirerack...

Rich
sixnotfour
215/60-15 what the section width ? I am guessing 8.4 thats wide for a 5.5 wheel

check out the 195/65-15 , a touch shorter but a 7.9 section a good compromise I think.
r_towle
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 27 2011, 05:12 PM) *

215/60-15 what the section width ? I am guessing 8.4 thats wide for a 5.5 wheel

check out the 195/65-15 , a touch shorter but a 7.9 section a good compromise I think.

Hoosiers 205/50/15 autox tires are 8.7 section width.
They are cantelivered though...so that may be how it fits.
Still a beotch to mount...two guys and long bars.

Rich
sixnotfour
your looking for street tires ?
Tom_T
IIRC stock offset was 40 cm (per letter below), diagrams above show 35.

Stock offset - e.g. 2L Fuchs, Mahles, Pedrinis - IMHO best fit, looks & performance within factory spec RPM & speedo/odo for driving street are 185/70R15 or 195/65R15, or even the original 165(/80)R15 if you want max. mpg.

195/65R15s are all over (not 195/60 as that has an even bigger error), and very few & expensive options for the 185/70R15 (Michilin XWX VR are $407 each from Lucas, Coker, etc. last I looked). Factory recco'd those 2 sizes when then 165s went scarce, but Bridgestone makes a nice TR speed rated 165, which is better than the Vredesteins, Kumho makes a nice SR rated 165. Speed ratings are SR or better for 1.7/1.8, HR (or TR) or better for 2.0, VR for hot big 2+Ls & -6s.

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
Valy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 27 2011, 10:32 PM) *

Stock offset - e.g. 2L Fuchs, Mahles, Pedrinis - IMHO best fit, looks & performance within factory spec RPM & speedo/odo for driving street are 185/70R15 or 195/65R15, or even the original 165(/80)R15 if you want max. mpg.

Original tires were 165R15 or 155R15. Not well know is the fact that those were 165/82R15 or 155/82R15

The speedometer calibrated for 155R15 works well with 195/65R15 (I ride a set of Goodyear GT in this size)

I couldn't find a cheap equivalent size for 165R15. 205/65R15 are close but not so popular so are more expensive. I was also afraid that they will not fit my stock fenders.

Check the attached XLS to compare tires and speedo deviation.
Click to view attachment
jimkelly
i'm running 195x60x15 and like the look on my car.

i was peeking at the goodyear gt v's the other day too.

i like the treadpattern and the specs seem good.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/goodyear-eagle-gt
sfrenck
It would be great if people added pics of their cars with the various tire sizes like "messix" did.

All the theoretical stuff is great - but I'd like to see how they all look.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Mar 28 2011, 06:18 AM) *

It would be great if people added pics of their cars with the various tire sizes like "messix" did.

All the theoretical stuff is great - but I'd like to see how they all look.

agree.gif
jimkelly
pic

for my taste - 195x60x15 look right on 4 lug fuchs

dlkawashima
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 28 2011, 04:12 AM) *

I like that it comes in 205/65R15 ...

BTW for Rich considering a 215 vs 205 tire, somewhere I read that a rim should ideally be 70 to 90 percent the width of a tire. So it seems a 205 tire is already pushing the limit on a 5.5" rim. A 215 tire would be, in theory anyway, too wide for Fuchs.
r_towle
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 28 2011, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 28 2011, 04:12 AM) *

I like that it comes in 205/65R15 ...

BTW for Rich considering a 215 vs 205 tire, somewhere I read that a rim should ideally be 70 to 90 percent the width of a tire. So it seems a 205 tire is already pushing the limit on a 5.5" rim. A 215 tire would be, in theory anyway, too wide for Fuchs.

I will call my tire guy and see if he has either size in stock.
That is what always ends up driving the decision...what can I get that will fit...not what would I like to get.

There is only one place around here that has the correct balancing equipment for the fuchs...so I like to bring him my business and let him make money on the rubber also.

Rich
detoxcowboy
Rich, I bought these and like them very much.. they blew away all simular tires in the spider charts of pro tests for wet traction, handling and braking. and were #2 in the pack for everything else but really shinned in crap weather testes, i mean really blew away the others in that area. I have had them in protland wa in snow and rain, they gave me confidence when I needed it most, as you said not just a sunny so cal day doing a turn chrip onto the frewway but ion crap weahtere mountain roads with a cliff down to the river on one side and a shear wall with waterfalls on the other..

they are hihg performance all season. noteabley V rated to 150 miles an hour.. fit the 914 pefect and the assymetrical tread gives an agressive performance appearnce.. hell they are cheaper than the tires they blew away in the pro tests.. I do not use the personal opinon section for much other than tire wear.. conditions,driver and car make a differnece in handling..

I am talking about the Goodyear GT V rated.... linky below.. I love them and will buy them again if they are still available.. I had then shipped to a local shop but when I called the shop the shop offered me an even lower price installed so I would buy from them.. win win plus they have a $40 special rebate cash for these right now..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

the entire 205/60/15 selection at tire rack..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...mp;x=42&y=9

spider chart, good year hihg performance all season in blue.. if you put your cursor over the goodyear gt on the right it will highlight in yellow its section of performance to stand out and see better the results..

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=113

side note the on center drive feel comment will dissapate after 100 miles. I do not notice it, or noise they stated. noise? 914? whihc one?
detoxcowboy
I have well over 5,000 miles on these tires, they are about 7 months used ... pics for your persusal..
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=254
261]Click to view attachment
sfrenck
195/65/R15..... maybe I need to lower the front end
Click to view attachment

I really don't like how the front tires look like they need to be sitting on 1" spacers either

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Als914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 27 2011, 01:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Als914 @ Mar 27 2011, 04:05 PM) *

So,

Rich

Interesting...
Those are 25.5 in diameter...a .25 larger than stock.
Do you happen to have a picture?

Rich

Hey Rich, had a chance to take some pics of my P205/65's today. They do fit nice and fill out the fender well.

Al

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Als914
More and BTW I run 205/60/R15 on the front.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tod914
Here's some 195 65 15's. Fatter than stock but about the same height. Just slightly smaller.

Click to view attachment
tod914
Here's a 3/4 view. Really happy with the tires, but suspect your looking for more of a performance tire than these Rich. They don't grip as good as the Yoko 100s (when warmed up). Abit more predictable though when they start to break.

Click to view attachment
DanT
ooopsy....sorry...double post. biggrin.gif
DanT
165sr15s my 1970 1.7L
195x65x15s my '74 2056
205x50x15s biggrin.gif my '70 1.7L in track dress
DanT
and a few better shots of 205x50x15s smile.gif my '75 2.0L
sixnotfour
205-55-16 on 7.5 fuchs
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.