Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Case Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914four
I'm having some trouble cleaning the engine case and would like to know the best way to clean the engine case without disassembling the engine. I have used degreaser with some success but it is not as clean as some engines I have seen on the forum. As you can see in the picture I have cleaned the front part of the case only. Is there a better way?

Click to view attachment
luskesq
QUOTE(PH1 @ Mar 27 2011, 05:10 PM) *

I'm having some trouble cleaning the engine case and would like to know the best way to clean the engine case without disassembling the engine. I have used degreaser with some success but it is not as clean as some engines I have seen on the forum. As you can see in the picture I have cleaned the front part of the case only. Is there a better way?
Oven cleaner works pretty good. Been a while since I used it and I don't recall if it affects paint. Does take care of the baked on grime however.

Keith

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
Oven cleaner is lye & other harsh stuff, which will eat into the aluminum & magnesium alloys on the engine & transaxle cases, heads, etc. - in addition to stripping the paint off the engine tins, etc. Save it for cleaning your porcelainized oven (note that they usually warn to keep it off the stainless steel & other painted parts of your fancy ovens, but who read directions anymore).

WD40 can work well if you let it sit for awhile, but may take some time & several tries.

McMark & others have soda blasted cases when out of the car & properly protected & sealed, or completely disassembled - but then you need to get all the soda out in either case.
r_towle
I use more citric based cleaners...super purple and those sorts.
I think Simply green also.

It takes time, a good cleaner and brushes....just like you have.
Get a better cleaning product that will remove mor grease.

Rich
PanelBilly
HF was some cheep wire tooth brushes that i used to touch up some spots. Then I vacumed the dust out
Scott S
agree.gif
There are these sets of three brushes I see for sale at nealry every FLAPS. Two wire and one stiff plastic. I went through probably 20 sets cleaning my current motor - and it was pretty clean to begin with. They are about twice the size of a tooth brush. I used them first with simple green and an air jet fitting on the compressor. Then used new clean sets after the motor was dry. I was really pleased with the results.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.