Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maine914
It hit 50 degrees in Maine, so I started in on the car. Put the
carbs back in, and she fired right up. Yahoo! Of course, I
couldn't drive it anywhere because it has no brakes.
When I removed the leaky 17mm master cylinder, the brake line to the
front driver's side broke. Any recommnedations on a replacement:
OEM, stainless steel, etc.
Thanks
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Maine914 @ Apr 13 2003, 09:50 AM)
...the brake line to the
front driver's side broke. Any recommnedations on a replacement: OEM, stainless steel, etc.

the hard line ? no-brainer - just about every FLAPS has the appropriate EURO METRIC 1,0mm x 10,0mm 'bubble' flare hardline. measure the length you need, get the appropriate replacement line. and a tubing bender and appropriate flare-fitting wrenches, if you don't have them already.

if it's the flex line, that's a fire storm. "everybody" knows someone who had a failure in a steel-braided flex hose 30 years ago. the braided-steel-sheathed Teflon hoses may or may not provide a performance difference. opinions vary on that, too. once upon a time all braided-steel Teflon flex hoses were marked 'offroad use' or 'racing use' only. that was then. today there are DOT-rated flex hoses (with rubber sheaths so if you're doing it for the look, don't bother, they don't look that much different...).

factory flex hoses are 'the safe' choice although they too have a failure mode (but it'll probably take a lot of years for it to manifest...). i don't think i'd run a non-DOT hose now that the DOT-rated stuff is available -- even though i've done exactly that before they were and not (yet - some would say...) experienced a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.