Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falconfp2001
I just got my FI back up and running but now I have a problem with the Throttle Body. My Butterfly has to much play now that I cleaned it and it sticks open just enough to make the idle surge.

I'm thinking I should get a stronger return spring but don't really know if that will solve the problem?

Any ideas?

thanks
NJ914Guy
How are the throttle cable and the pedal bushings? Just replaced mine and made a world of difference.
falconfp2001
Forgot to mention, 1971 1.7L Stock FI.

Thanks
detoxcowboy
at your flaps, there is a doubled throttle spring for ford that works and fits perfect, it will be hanging in the emergeny fix it isle, that might help you get it to fully close and after a while it may work itself out.. plus you have that extra spring if ever one breaks.. it was working before you cleaned it, sometimes when things are clean they tend to grab easy.. just 2 cents.. mine was the other way around it tended to stick closed after refurb. and now its fine.. I chose the double throttle spring when mine tired out and failed on the freeway, i like the throttle feel better with the extra tension..
underthetire
First, did you disassemble the throttle body? If you did, you must make sure you put the butterfly plate on the correct direction. They had a slight taper around the edge to allow them to close all the way. If you flip it, the sharp edge will hang up a little in the bore.
falconfp2001
Found a Spring, that seems to have that extra umph.

Idles fine now but may need to replace the TS.

Doesn't accelerate smnooth from a stop and staying at steady speed tends to jerk instead of staying at a steady speed.

Anyone have this issue before?

I think it's the TS.

I have another one that I can refurbish or swap out to see if there is a difference.

thansk
windforfun
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Mar 29 2011, 12:11 PM) *

Found a Spring, that seems to have that extra umph.

Idles fine now but may need to replace the TS.

Doesn't accelerate smnooth from a stop and staying at steady speed tends to jerk instead of staying at a steady speed.

Anyone have this issue before?

I think it's the TS.

I have another one that I can refurbish or swap out to see if there is a difference.

thansk

Yep. BTDT.

How's the TPS (TS)? Is it positioned correctly? Is it worn out? Pop it's cover & look at the wiper(s) & copper traces.
r_towle
did you disassemble it to clean it?

Rich
falconfp2001
No disassembly.

Just cleaned out the Air bleed inlet, advance and retard connections and the inside of the throat. tried to cleaned the edge of the butterfly as best I can. One Seems to have a small groove in the throat where the butterfly rests. Going to try and polish that out a little but if I can get a Throttle that works fine with just a little cleaning then I'm golden.

zonedoubt
If you're so inclined take it apart to clean it. It's not too complicated and will let you check the condition of the shaft and bearing surfaces.

I just did mine, read here.
falconfp2001
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Mar 29 2011, 03:55 PM) *

If you're so inclined take it apart to clean it. It's not too complicated and will let you check the condition of the shaft and bearing surfaces.

I just did mine, read here.

Small problem with the 1.7L, shaft does not disassemble like a 1.8 or 2.0. The return spring is attached to the rear Engine tin. They look close.

I don't think they are interchangeable though.
falconfp2001
Does anyone know if the Throttle body is different from a 1971 1.7L to a 1975 1.7L? it would be great if they improved the Return Spring Setup.
dlee6204
Does anyone know if the Throttle body is different from a 1971 1.7L to a 1975 1.7L

'75 cars didn't come with 1.7L engines.
zonedoubt
The 1.8 also has the return spring fitted to rear tin.

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Mar 29 2011, 04:24 PM) *

Small problem with the 1.7L, shaft does not disassemble like a 1.8 or 2.0. The return spring is attached to the rear Engine tin. They look close.

I don't think they are interchangeable though.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.