Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 CD box mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IronHillRestorations
Replacement aftermarket CD box on a factory stock mounting bracket, which is bolted to the front edge of the battery tray.
Gint
That's where I put my MSD box.
kconway
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 29 2011, 04:51 AM) *

That's where I put my MSD box.

Does the MSD box use the factory CDI bracket? Otherwise, how does it attach to the battery tray?
Kev
IronHillRestorations
It's an easy bracket to fabricate.
Scott S
I have heard about mounting the MSD to the factory bracket on many occasions, but I never really understood or researched what that meant (my car has always been carbed and never had that bracket). That looks far better to me than how I currently have my MSD attached to the firewall.
Thanks for the pics - I need to hunt down one of those brackets!
IronHillRestorations
I'm far from a shill for AA, but their website shows a reproduction for $45. I'll make a disclaimer and say that I've never had one in hand, and the description is confusing.

A link: http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/p...arts/901-05.php
kconway
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Mar 29 2011, 08:05 AM) *

I have heard about mounting the MSD to the factory bracket on many occasions, but I never really understood or researched what that meant (my car has always been carbed and never had that bracket). That looks far better to me than how I currently have my MSD attached to the firewall.
Thanks for the pics - I need to hunt down one of those brackets!

I don't think that CDI bracket is large enough for the MSD box. I think Perry was alluding to a fabbing a custom bracket to mount the MSD to the battery tray. Hopefully I'm wrong cuz I have no fabrication skills! sad.gif

Scott, btw...you were attempting to post some photos of your Vellios tank install weeks back. Any chance you are able to post those?

Kev
Scott S
QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 29 2011, 07:45 AM) *

I don't think that CDI bracket is large enough for the MSD box. I think Perry was alluding to a fabbing a custom bracket to mount the MSD to the battery tray. Hopefully I'm wrong cuz I have no fabrication skills! sad.gif

Hmmm. yep - I see what you mean.
Hey Gint, how did you mount your box to that bracket?

I love the look of the factory part. I would love to use it.

Kev, I am running the factory -6 tank. If I get a "kitchen pass" this week and get down to the shop, I will take some better/decent pics. I have really been slacking on that part of the conversion.
Gint
QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 29 2011, 08:45 AM) *
I don't think that CDI bracket is large enough for the MSD box.
I beg to differ, since I've done it.

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Mar 29 2011, 08:52 AM) *
Hey Gint, how did you mount your box to that bracket?
I don't remember. That was, what... 7 years ago? And I haven't seen it in over 5. laugh.gif I think I drilled it. I doubt that I used the factory holes which is probably what Kevin was referring to. But it did get done and worked fine.
kconway
I bought a CDI bracket and will try it. That bracket does not look long enough for the MSD box but I'm pretty sure I can mount an aluminum plate to it with the MSD box on it and pick up the three fastener holes with some rubber shock mounts.

Perry, consider my MSD in the location of the photo you posted for my harness.

Kev
kconway
So...here is a replica CDI bracket and a MSD 6ALN ignition module. It clearly does not fit on the bracket without some sort of butch plate, at least mine will not, perhaps mine is larger than the 6A or 6AL. Butch plate should be easy to fab.

Kev

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Scott, I have an original bracket for you.

I'm hopefully having a twin mount braket made off the Brumos GT I saw last December.
moparrob
It seems like it would be just as easy to fab a new single mount out of 3/16 or 1/4 plate, locate the three holes, and weld on three 6mm nuts. You could even weld on a stabilizing leg that would run from the bottom edge of the plate, farthest from the battery tray, and run that back to the middle of the battery tray to stabilize and remove vibration.
confused24.gif
kconway
QUOTE(moparrob @ Apr 1 2011, 08:57 AM) *

It seems like it would be just as easy to fab a new single mount out of 3/16 or 1/4 plate, locate the three holes, and weld on three 6mm nuts. You could even weld on a stabilizing leg that would run from the bottom edge of the plate, farthest from the battery tray, and run that back to the middle of the battery tray to stabilize and remove vibration.
confused24.gif

Just as easy perhaps if I had a welder, and new how to weld. What's so confusing about that?
Eric_Shea
Kevin,

It looks like you would have to paint both regardless. I would head to Home Depot (or a local metal yard) and grab a piece of 14 gauge. Cut and drill it to fit your ignition. Then drill and mount it to fit that factory style mount. You may want to open it up some like the factory piece which I imagine is for cooling.

A few coats of gloss black and some SS fasteners and you have a clean install that is reversable.
kconway
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 1 2011, 11:38 AM) *

Kevin,

It looks like you would have to paint both regardless. I would head to Home Depot (or a local metal yard) and grab a piece of 14 gauge. Cut and drill it to fit your ignition. Then drill and mount it to fit that factory style mount. You may want to open it up some like the factory piece which I imagine is for cooling.

A few coats of gloss black and some SS fasteners and you have a clean install that is reversable.

Yup, that's what I was thinking. The bottom of the MSD is a piece of plexiglass, not a heat sink so not sure I'll need to open holes in the plate but I just might since I gotta burr I bought to open the oil tank holes.
moparrob
Just as easy perhaps if I had a welder, and new how to weld. What's so confusing about that?

That's OK. Everyone in this hobby starts out not owning a welder or knowing how to use one. A relatively inexpensive 110 volt Lincoln or Miller welder and a little practice will provide you with a useful tool and skill that will quickly pay for itself.

I've had my Lincoln since 1993 and, although not a skilled welder by any means I can run a penetrating bead on most fabrications like engine stands and brackets.

Something to think about.

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.