Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: P-car Content - in a day before widespread seatbelt use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cupomeat
Nurburgring Nordschleife 70 Adenauer Forst Crashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8

914 sighting at 3:35.

I am not a fan of crash videos, but with all this vintage steel, I was unable to stop watching. blink.gif

iamchappy
The convertible bug save full of passengers is insane....
ConeDodger
Always a good one... This is already posted on the site though. Johannes posted this to Youtube.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 30 2011, 11:03 AM) *

Always a good one... This is already posted on the site though. Johannes posted this to Youtube.

Sorry, I did a quick search, but I guess I used the wrong criteria.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Mar 30 2011, 07:51 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 30 2011, 11:03 AM) *

Sorry, I did a quick search, but I guess I used the wrong criteria.

As I said, always a good one... I am not sure where Johannes found it. Hard to believe that some judicial authority wouldn't have shut them down with all that carnage. I saw a couple that could have been fatal. The one with the collapsed roof and fully engulfed in flames, and the one where the person partially ejects and then smacks their head against the roof as they are propelled back toward the car.

Nurburgring is a public road with a toll so... Any idiot... blink.gif
biosurfer1
Obviously the 2nd 914 hadn't seen prior crashes because he pulls off the road to almost exactly where every other crash happened
thelogo
who were these drivers , evil kenevil 's in training ?

but you got to give it to the 914's , they kept smoothest of all with no rollovers

911's forget about it , tails came right around . they guys who just spun were the lucky one's !!! popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Cupomeat
Yes, crazy that SOMETHING wasn't done to prevent all the crashes, but I have little knowledge of the situation.

The 2 914s did well without spinning, and only one of the 911s might have suffered damage as it went over the hill. You are right about pulling off the road in the exact WRONG place.

The VW beetles (T1) were the worst of the lot. As most were swing axles (as it was 1970 and they went to IRS in 69), they had little chance to recover from such a slide/spin. I didn't expect so many roll overs on the beetles, however.

Now, the ejections and partial ejections made my stomach turn each time. The one girl who popped out of the window, then back in before the car came around and would have crushed her was SO lucky. GO SEATBELTS!
914Mike
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Mar 30 2011, 11:42 AM) *

The 2 914s did well without spinning, and only one of the 911s might have suffered damage as it went over the hill. You are right about pulling off the road in the exact WRONG place.

The VW beetles (T1) were the worst of the lot. As most were swing axles (as it was 1970 and they went to IRS in 69), they had little chance to recover from such a slide/spin. I didn't expect so many roll overs on the beetles, however.

... GO SEATBELTS!

My fave is the 914 taking the racing line, right across the dirt, and just right on back to the road.

The Type 1's are really bad, but the Type 3's did OK.

It's Click it or Ticket around here...
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 30 2011, 10:30 AM) *
Nurbergring is a public road with a toll so...

Not exactly ... shades.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring

And while i'm busting your chops, it's called "Nürburgring".

Note the "Burg" which translates into "castle". "Berg" translates into "hill". Not quite the same ...

Just FYI, that video is NOT from a race. Nothing you know about racing applies here.

Anyone with €20 can take their car for a spin. AT YOUR OWN RISK.

stirthepot.gif
biosurfer1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 30 2011, 03:08 PM) *

Anyone with €20 can take their car for a spin.
stirthepot.gif

And it seems that is EXACTLY what a lot of them did...I figured it was any yahoo in most of those clips because usually when a race car flips, luggage and groceries dont come flying out with the driver biggrin.gif
johannes
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 30 2011, 09:30 AM) *

... I am not sure where Johannes found it.

Unfold and read the video description ... poke.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 30 2011, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Mar 30 2011, 10:30 AM) *
Nurbergring is a public road with a toll so...

Not exactly ... shades.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring

And while i'm busting your chops, it's called "Nürburgring".

Note the "Burg" which translates into "castle". "Berg" translates into "hill". Not quite the same ...

Just FYI, that video is NOT from a race. Nothing you know about racing applies here.

Anyone with €20 can take their car for a spin. AT YOUR OWN RISK.

stirthepot.gif

Ooops. I corrected the spelling for you. I said it badly but that is what I meant. Not that it was a public thoroughfare but that it was open to the public for a toll. sad.gif
veltror
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Mar 30 2011, 07:42 PM) *

Err no they did not go IRS, it was made with swing axles untilit stopped production Automatics and US cars together with 1302 1303 models were IRS the rest stayed swing axle...
Cupomeat
QUOTE(veltror @ Mar 31 2011, 11:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Mar 30 2011, 07:42 PM) *

Err no they did not go IRS, it was made with swing axles untilit stopped production Automatics and US cars together with 1302 1303 models were IRS the rest stayed swing axle...

Wow, thanks for that correction. I guess Ralph Nader forced the IRS in the US while Europe got the old stuff?

I know the 80s mexican beetles were IRS, but that doesn't apply here.
veltror
Sorry wrong again, mexican chassis was swing axle till the end of production...
Cupomeat
I'll just say nothing but, My error...

unless I am wrong about that! happy11.gif
veltror
:0
underthetire
Uh? i'm lost now. My 69 T1 was IRS for sure. Here is even an article on our forum about the CV joints.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;pid=1387182
Eric_Shea
Hey Eric...

WRONG!
bigkensteele
Thanks for posting. Now, I can scratch a 2002 off my bucket list.
veltror
QUOTE(underthetire @ Apr 1 2011, 12:25 AM) *

Uh? i'm lost now. My 69 T1 was IRS for sure. Here is even an article on our forum about the CV joints.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...amp;pid=1387182

Err, there is a big difference in what the US had and what the rest of the world had. Beetles had IRS on automatics, 1302, and 1303 models everything else was swing axle even mexican and Brasillian cars. The US had IRS after the Nader safety nazi fiasco...

therefore the majority of the world had swing axle...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.