Well... it's coming on Spring and I've had a few calls about pads squealing and the pedal on a rebuild not as firm as it should be.

Instead of selling some new pads on a wing and a prayer, my usual first line of defense is to offer up our bedding procedure. If you haven't bedded in your pads, you can and should do so at any time.

The same goes for a low pedal after a rebuild. Many times people will complain about a low pedal after getting new calipers. The new seals are pulling the pistons back in further than a old seal that is broken in. It's best to break in the pads and the caliper seals at the same time. After that, the pedal will come up further with regular driving. There's a page describing this in the 911 factory manuals but not the 914 manuals... not sure why it's not in the 914 manuals. confused24.gif

Here's a link to the bedding process:

http://www.pmbperformance.com/page/page/1492423.htm

and here's an email that made me think it would be a good idea to post this here:

Dear Eric

Well you were right. I did need to break them in. The problem was I had to find an area that was long enough and keeping the traffic out of my way. I dropped down the north side of Big Bear into Lucerne and headed east on hwy 247. I warmed the brakes up doing the 60 to 45 and then cut into the 60 to 10 as you said to do. About the third time into the 60 to 10 traffic caught with me and they were not really sure what I was doing but I did not care and waved them around but they were afraid to jump past me.

I ended up driving about 93 miles to complete the program believe it or not. Not because I needed to but the road had no where to turn around easily since all the side roads are dirt and I was not taking the 914 into rocks and dust. As you stated they turned the nice blue and smelled lots. Well, they don’t squeak anymore.