Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Porsche Cayanne
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
I do valet parking on the weekend to support myself through college and I had the honor to drive a new Porsche Cayanne S this weekend. Although I turned just about every head in downtown Austin, it did feel like a true Porsche. It was pretty quick however, as I drove it the long way around to the parking lot.

I want to know how else has been following the new Porsche Cayanne and what you feel about it...
Aaron Cox
V-8 POWER! turbo? of course!
The most powerful SUV on the planet!
what did you expect? - It's a porsche!
Britain Smith
Yea...the turbo is a nice option for an SUV.

The "S" isn't turbo charged I thought.

-Britain
tryan
i would like to take one 4 wheeling just to see how it compares to the g-class or rover.

i like electrical gizmos, but not on the drivetrain. just can't trust that stuff. i would rather have an extra lever on the floor than a switch on the dashboard.

buy one and have to deal with the local dealer. no way. bunch of snotty pricks. buy one used in five years. well maybe.
Russ K
Com'mon guys lets get serious. a porsche SUV!?!? what a waste of a v8! Thats a hundred or so german engineers that COULD have been busy designing a ground-hugger for the past 5years...

.. the doctor's rollin in his grave right now, kickin to get out and slap some sense into porsche management!
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(Russ K @ Apr 13 2003, 10:37 AM)
Com'mon guys lets get serious. a porsche SUV!?!? what a waste of a v8! Thats a hundred or so german engineers that COULD have been busy designing a ground-hugger for the past 5years...

.. the doctor's rollin in his grave right now, kickin to get out and slap some sense into porsche management!

Those are my sentiments too! Speaking of German engineers, check out these links

http://www.jdpower.com/auto/search/winners...yID=674&CatID=1

http://www.jdpower.com/auto/search/winners...yID=692&CatID=1

http://www.jdpower.com/auto/search/winners...yID=625&CatID=1

How the mighty have fallen!
seanery
The doctor already made an SUV, don't forget about the VW Thing, and whatever the German military called. I don't think this should be that controversial.

If it helps Porsche to survive and even thrive, then it should be embraced.
need4speed
Forgive this newbee for speaking boldly;

I saw a TV commercial for the Porsche Cayenne yesterday. A TV commercial. From the company which formerly had a policy against advertising. A company which formerly lived by the philosophy that their superior products and engineering were the best advertising money can buy.

It's an ill trend.

Obviously they've made a mistake. The engine's on the wrong end. And they're dead last to market too.
This is what happens when a company lets bean-counters make engineering decisions.

barf.gif barf.gif
Mark Henry
Porsche makes sports cars and should stick with that.

What’s next? Porsche aircraft engines!

Oh yeh, they tried that! We all know what a huge success that was! rolleyes.gif
L8Apex
Hey, Rolls Royce has Airplane engines.

I have driven a G-Wagen, and a Blown Rover. G-Wagens have more punch and feel more solid.

Schmuck69: where do you work at? I really need a job too and was thinking of Valet parking while going to school. Hook it up!
tahoward
More power, more leather and more gizmos!!!!! They're selling and making Porsche some bucks so I'm now ok with it, but when I first heard about I thought it was a horrible mistake. Time will tell. confused24.gif
Sammy
CAUTION, MAJOR RANT AHEAD. DON'T READ IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED BY PRO-CAYENNE TALK!

Cayennes are cool. If I were rich I would have one and I would spank Porsches at Willow Springs all day long driven by people who talk bad about the SUV.

lots of folks hate the cayenne. The same ones usually dis the 996, if fact some of them dis everything that isn't exactly like their car. I doan get it.
996s are fast and smoke most other 911s and almost all 914s except for very the highly modified cars.
The Boxsters get shit on all day long but they too will spank most older Porsches on the road. Yet they are bad because they have water cooling. Different must mean bad.

I guess Porsche should still be making 73 911RS's and nothing else. How long would they stay in business? About two weeks. remember a car like that would not be legal for sale in today's world.
If they tried to build a legal copy of a 911RS it would weight 3000 lbs. and have about 100 horsepower.

The cayenne turbo did the Nurburbring faster than the Boxster S. In fact it did the ring faster than almost every street legal Porsche ever made except TTs and purpose built low production cars like the RS, GT-2, GT-3, etc. These SUV things kick ass.

Seems to me an SUV that is quicker than a sports car and handles better than a sports car and is faster on the track than a sports car shouldn't be ridiculed for not being a sports car.

It's an SUV, but if you want to beat it you almost need a race car. Hmmmm.........
Britain Smith
This is a very heated discussion...not bad. I think that the choice to make SUV's will help the company in the long run. Who knows, maybe we will see the turbo V-8 motor show up in the next generation GT-1 or something.

For the guy looking for a valet job, I live in Austin right now and go to The University of Texas at Austin. I am actually moving to the bay area in June to start full-time employment at Intel.

-Britain
L8Apex
DOH! Must find job......................... mad.gif
seanery
I've seen and heard rumors that there may be a 928ish type car that this particular motor could fit into.
anthony
The Cayenne sounded pretty awesome in the Panorama article of a few months ago. The sad thing is that hardly anyone will ever take this car off-road. A bunch of rich guys will have one as their daily driver or as their mommy wagon. I hope Porsche races it in the Paris-Dakar.
914-8
suv's are teh ghey.
TROJANMAN
Mrs. Soprano has one. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.