Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
memon
Hello World,

Seek your advise.

The Battery pack will increase weight. How much does a 1973 1.8L engine weigh with exaust and all??

I'm guessing the front battery pack will add about 200lbs to the front, and the back battery pack will add about 300 lbs to the back. So...

Suggestions please for springs / shocks or other to beef up the car for the extra weight?

Should I consider replacing the chrome bumpers with fiberglass? How much weight does that save?

In advance I sppreciate the advice.
Tom_T
QUOTE(memon @ Mar 31 2011, 05:29 PM) *

Hello World,

Seek your advise.

The Battery pack will increase weight. How much does a 1973 1.8L engine weigh with exaust and all??

I'm guessing the front battery pack will add about 200lbs to the front, and the back battery pack will add about 300 lbs to the back. So...

Suggestions please for springs / shocks or other to beef up the car for the extra weight?

Should I consider replacing the chrome bumpers with fiberglass? How much weight does that save?

You need to post this in the Garage Forum, as this is to sell, trade or buy parts.

I'm assuming you're doing a 914-EV & there's losta info on them online if you Google for it & follow the link trails.

IIRC when I shipped a `71 914 F chrome/steel bumper a few months ago, it was <20# & FG should be just a few #'s.

The fuel tank up front is 16 gals x about 7.1# per gal = 114# +/- plus the tank itself, fuel pump, lines, etc., etc. - so your're probably just offsetting that weight, & would be best to put that battery pack into the fuel cell area to keep the weight balance close to stock, plus preserve trunk space.

The various motor, tins, exhaust/HEs, EFI & bits etc. are probably close to 300# (IIRC a number of 281# sticks in my mind, but then I have half-zymers blink.gif ), and then you're adding an electric motor of ??# & maybe a different transaxle. The closer you can keep the weight in the engine bay & forward area of the R trunk, the better the weight balance will stay.

Repost in the Garage & you'll get more & better answers, as well as maybe some who've done an EV conversion. They're pricy, but I must say it intrigued me for around town running myself here in SoCal.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif

....and.... welcome.png
memon
,Thanks Tom_T

Good information. I posted in the garage.

Best,

Mark beerchug.gif

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 31 2011, 09:54 PM) *

QUOTE(memon @ Mar 31 2011, 05:29 PM) *

Hello World,

Seek your advise.

You need to post this in the Garage Forum, as this is to sell, trade or buy parts.

I'm assuming you're doing a 914-EV & there's losta info on them online if you Google for it & follow the link trails.

IIRC when I shipped a `71 914 F chrome/steel bumper a few months ago, it was <20# & FG should be just a few #'s.

The fuel tank up front is 16 gals x about 7.1# per gal = 114# +/- plus the tank itself, fuel pump, lines, etc., etc. - so your're probably just offsetting that weight, & would be best to put that battery pack into the fuel cell area to keep the weight balance close to stock, plus preserve trunk space.

The various motor, tins, exhaust/HEs, EFI & bits etc. are probably close to 300# (IIRC a number of 281# sticks in my mind, but then I have half-zymers blink.gif ), and then you're adding an electric motor of ??# & maybe a different transaxle. The closer you can keep the weight in the engine bay & forward area of the R trunk, the better the weight balance will stay.

Repost in the Garage & you'll get more & better answers, as well as maybe some who've done an EV conversion. They're pricy, but I must say it intrigued me for around town running myself here in SoCal.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif

....and.... welcome.png

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.