Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saving the Sticker (DOT)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Strudelwagon
Hi,
Has anyone ever had any success saving (removing) the drivers door sticker? Not really sure what the value is other than for resale. I see george has repro blanks.
Just wondering
tx
Tom_T
I had some success in removing 4 successive over-sprays from mine with acetone & Q-tips, so that I could actually read it! dry.gif

Most folks tape them over, then remove the tape before it cures hard IIRC (it was on another topic here a while back), with cutting while paint is still somewhat soft in order to avoid rips & tears & cracking of fully hardened/cured paint as you remove the protective tape.

Hopefully ScottyB, McMark or one of the other painting gurus will speak up as to that technique & relative advantages/disadvantages.

The advantage to saving is it's original & you don't have to track down a bank check punch machine that George recco's to punch in your VIN & build date.

The disadvantage is you have to work around it on any strip, prime/repaint work & it's the 35+ year old sticker.

IMHO - I'd try to preserve the original one, as I'm doing with my resto - but I got a new repro from AA just in case & have photos of my original sticker for proof/record. I wish the prior painters had used the above simple technique on mine back in the 70s-80s when the resprays were done! sad.gif

MINE - BEFORE/IN PROGRESS WITH PAINT OVER-SPRAYS:
Click to view attachment

AND AFTER REMOVING 4 OVER-SPRAYS (Tan, Gold, Copper, Grey Metallic over OE L80E Light Ivory):
Click to view attachment

Hope this helps some. smile.gif
GeorgeRud
Nice job on saving the original sticker!

Has anyone found a bank check stamp machine to imprint the reproduction stickers? I bought one years ago to try to reinstall the one that was destroyed when my -6 was repainted (many years ago), but have never found a place to have it restamped.

I'd have no problem getting the PCNA VIN sticker with the bar code to keep the feds happy, but I'd like to have the original appearance as well.
Tom_T
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 1 2011, 01:20 PM) *

Nice job on saving the original sticker!

Has anyone found a bank check stamp machine to imprint the reproduction stickers? I bought one years ago to try to reinstall the one that was destroyed when my -6 was repainted (many years ago), but have never found a place to have it restamped.

I'd have no problem getting the PCNA VIN sticker with the bar code to keep the feds happy, but I'd like to have the original appearance as well.

agree.gif

... that's why I tried to save it, but I lost some bits & still have more cleaning in the "dot holes" with remnants of gold paint.

Also, I'm not sure the banks even use those anymore George, in the modern day of computerized item processing!? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.