Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel gauge resistance - a definitive answer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hoghead
I have searched and see various answers to the question "what is the resistance of the 914 fuel sender". There are several answers ranging from 0 - 90, 10 - 180 ohms and several in between
Compounding my conundrum, is that the discussion encompasses both the combo and 50mm stand alone gauge

At the expense of being pedantic, but what is the resistance of the standard 100 mm combo fuel gauge sensor?

Mike Bellis
0-70 ohms. 0=full, 70=empty. Same as VDO. I use an Autometer Programmable gauge. It will work with any sender. You need a VDO sender with a VDO gauge.

Click to view attachment
Hoghead
But there several VDO senders with resistances at 8-80, 0-90, and 10-180 Ohms

I have not seen a 0-70
Mike Bellis
What are you trying to do? Fuel sending units are still available to replace yours. I think the exact rating of the factory sending unit is 7-67 ohms.
quadracerx
Just a quick related question...

Im planning on using this fuel cell....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RCI-2161A

It can come with a 0-90 ohm sender, will that work with the stock gauge?

Thanks,

Steve
pcar916
The gauge and sending unit have to match. When you buy a fuel cell and a sending unit you'll tell the cell manufacturer what the spec of your gauge is or buy a new gauge to match what you're buying.

My 1974 VDO fuel gauge has a 70 ohm range sending unit. For example, My Centroid sending unit is marked 76/6 ohms and it works perfectly. I found that by measuring the stock sending unit from the tank I removed.

When you cut off the sending unit shaft inside the cell It comes too long when you buy them separately, you have to use two screws on the top to tune in empty and full to your gauge.

Good luck
quadracerx
I assume that since Im going to have my gauges redone I can specifiy the 0-90 ohm fuel gauge? Its for the V8 Converison car, so at minimum I need a water temp gauge, recalibrated Tach and Fuel...Hopefully all that can be done at the time of the gauge panel rebuild....

Thanks you guys are awesome....

Steve
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Apr 3 2011, 09:16 AM) *

I assume that since Im going to have my gauges redone I can specifiy the 0-90 ohm fuel gauge? Its for the V8 Converison car, so at minimum I need a water temp gauge, recalibrated Tach and Fuel...Hopefully all that can be done at the time of the gauge panel rebuild....

Thanks you guys are awesome....

Steve

Autometer makes an 11 inch tube sender 0-90 ohms. It is the same bolt patern as the 914 sender, fits in the hole and works perfectly. You will loose the low fuel light function. I did a thread here about using the Autometer sender. You just need longer 6mm screws to mount it.
Hoghead
0-90 is a common GM range and also seen on some UK cars.

Do I understand correctly that this close enough to use for the 914 combo gauge, but one loses the low light function?

Sounds like a simple Beetle 8-80 one would be closer to 6-76 referenced here, if in fact that is the correct range

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...ode=VDO-221-012
Mike Bellis
This is what it looks like. I dont think the swing type will clear the inside of the tank. The GM will work backwards and not be very accurate unless you have the gauge re-callibrated for it...

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.