Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ever have points cam edge break off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
So I am driving home from the February OCR AX, and had new points in the car.

Going 85 on the way home on the Toll Road and the car completely dies and will not restart. Knew fuel was being delivered, but nothing.

Let it cool for 10 minutes. Took off the rotor and cover and the little ell that rides on the lubricated cam in the dizzy, and it was hanging by a thread.

Correct points adjusted to .017 were just a few weeks old.

Hanging by a thread.

Had a new spare in the car, but I went and bought the Pertronix. Have yet to put it in, but knowing the car is currently timed perfectly, it won't really need anything but for me to install it correctly, correct? Dwell and timing for a 2.0L early engine was done by a pro, as I watched him,

So -

I know the 2 things to do right are to get the right leads to the positive and negative sides of the coil, and to never turn the car to on and let it sit, because it burns up the pertronix, right?

So how does one turn on the car to check and see if lights are working? Only with the car running?

Anything else on doing a Pertronix conversion?

Thanks!

John
underthetire
Re set timing. It will change more likely than not.
Lennies914
Same thing happened to me. Before installing your pertronix you might pull the dizzy and check the bushings. Too much wobble is what possibly broke your points.
Eric_Shea
Barry H told that some new ones were junk and did just that. There were different colors to look for and I don't remember what they were. (grey? brown?)
TheCabinetmaker
I've seen the same from recent bosch points. I bought three for three different cars, and all three crapped within two weeks. Three new ones have been good for over three months.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.