Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lock re-key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
abnrdo
Well, PO never sent all the keys. All I have I believe is the Valet key. It only works on the ingnition. Maybe a new ignition lock was replaced? How hard is it to have the car re-keyed? Find a good locksmith? Do I have to buy all new locks?
What a pain.
-Jim
abnrdo
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...09&hl=rekey

Answered my own question.

Still, what if I only have a Valet?

markb
The cut of the key won't change between valet & normal key. There's an extra groove on the length of the valet that makes them different.
pcar916
Sticky wicket that. What a way to start off with a new car. Decide how you want to key all of your locks, stock or otherwise. Lots of folks here know how they came for a particular year. Then...

The quick way: Buy all new/used matched lock and key assemblies. Almost none of us would actually do that. These locks are fairly simple to rekey.

You can buy a matched door lock(s) and key from someone here or from the usual salvage yards, or Rich Bontempi at High Performance House (Redwood City CA).

The slower way:
Leave your ignition key as the only one it will operate the... ignition. I'd get at least one matched lock to do your doors. Then match the other locks i.e. trunk / glove-box / front hood latch, etc in whatever combination you want, back to stock or otherwise.

To do that you'll likely need more tumblers: You'll have some of them already in your current locks but the same sources you already know will have more.

I see you found a thread on how to rekey these locks. It's kind of a neat process actually, and you'll be able to lubricate your door hardware at the same time. That's a necessity on these cars to keep the door handles, locks, and windows working smoothly.

Good luck!
Tom_T
QUOTE(markb @ Apr 3 2011, 04:28 AM) *

The cut of the key won't change between valet & normal key. There's an extra groove on the length of the valet that makes them different.

agree.gif

Take your pick of aftermarket or genuine Porsche lettered black plastic head key common to 914s & 911/912/930 of that era & you have all the keys you need - unless the PO changed locks on one or more cylinders. Have locksmith cut it from the red valet key & try in all locks, if it works then you're set to go. smile.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 3 2011, 12:23 PM) *

Sticky wicket that. What a way to start off with a new car. Decide how you want to key all of your locks, stock or otherwise. Lots of folks here know how they came for a particular year. Then...

The quick way: Buy all new/used matched lock and key assemblies. Almost none of us would actually do that. These locks are fairly simple to rekey.

You can buy a matched door lock(s) and key from someone here or from the usual salvage yards, or Rich Bontempi at High Performance House (Redwood City CA).

The slower way:
Leave your ignition key as the only one it will operate the... ignition. I'd get at least one matched lock to do your doors. Then match the other locks i.e. trunk / glove-box / front hood latch, etc in whatever combination you want, back to stock or otherwise.

To do that you'll likely need more tumblers: You'll have some of them already in your current locks but the same sources you already know will have more.

I see you found a thread on how to rekey these locks. It's kind of a neat process actually, and you'll be able to lubricate your door hardware at the same time. That's a necessity on these cars to keep the door handles, locks, and windows working smoothly.

Good luck!

Hold on, wait a minute before you get someone spending time & money they probably do NOT need to do! He said he's got a valet key, so all he needs to do is cut a full use or all locks black key from it.

Only if that doesn't work on one or more locks, does he need to get a locksmith to rekey the offending tumblers only to fit the existing key.
pcar916
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 3 2011, 04:27 PM) *

Hold on, wait a minute before you get someone spending time & money they probably do NOT need to do! He said he's got a valet key, so all he needs to do is cut a full use or all locks black key from it.

Only if that doesn't work on one or more locks, does he need to get a locksmith to rekey the offending tumblers only to fit the existing key.

Ok, lets see if I understand. The valet key cut into a black key blank will open all of the other locks?
Dave_Darling
Yup. If the locks haven't been changed.

--DD
biggy72
I don't know if I have something wrong with my locks or not, but my key looks like the red one (two slots), but it's just an old generic key, and it works in all locks. I only have one and am going to go try to find someone to cut a new key tomorrow, so should I be looking for a blank like either one? Or just the black one?
abnrdo
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 3 2011, 08:25 PM) *

Ok, lets see if I understand. The valet key cut into a black key blank will open all of the other locks?

Now that I have had a nights sleep.... (BTW I am in Afghanistan)
I have a round headed black key. Looks like the PO had the key made for the ignition only. The doors do not work with this key. Doors meaning every door. Trunks, and glove box do not work.
So....I will probably try to find a key from someone.
Thanks guys!! type.gif
mepstein
I have a complete lockset if you need it with 1 or 2 black keys. I'll put it a side with yoiur name on it for now. smile.gif
pcar916
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 3 2011, 06:55 PM) *

Yup. If the locks haven't been changed.
--DD

Wow. I had 4 different keys when I bought my car. There was a logic (read symmetry) to it so I never questioned it but pared it down to three, with of course MY idea of function. Of course mine wasn't really stock when I bought it.

Excellent, thanks guys!
r_towle
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Apr 4 2011, 04:49 AM) *

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 3 2011, 08:25 PM) *

Now that I have had a nights sleep.... (BTW I am in Afghanistan)
I have a round headed black key. Looks like the PO had the key made for the ignition only. The doors do not work with this key. Doors meaning every door. Trunks, and glove box do not work.
So....I will probably try to find a key from someone.
Thanks guys!! type.gif

You have the ignition working...so you can start the car.
The rest of the tumblers (considering your location) as easy to fix.
Pull out a tumbler, put your key in that tumbler and see which of the tangs stands proud of the circular tumbler portion.
You can, with the key in the tumbler, take a file or dremel to ensure that all the tabs are flush...then the key works in that tumbler.

You can also easily flip the tabs around to make it alot closer so your not filing as much and you get a decent bite on the mechanism when there is no key in there.

do them all...done.

Rich
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 4 2011, 08:56 AM) *

Wow. I had 4 different keys when I bought my car.

Heh, me too. The keys were even numbered! I had all of the locks re-keyed to fit the #1 (ignition only) lock. This was before I learned how easy it was to do yourself; I paid Kens SporTech something like $15 per lock, when I brought the lock cylinders to them.

--DD
biggy72
Well I figured out why my valet key works all of the locks. They are all so gunked up that the first wafer is stuck down... Well at least I know I need to go through all of them and clean them all up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.