Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS 914 V8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
marks914
Well, the time has finally come. I will probably kick myself in a few years, but its time to do this. I have decides to sell my 72 914 V8. Its been a great car, the best, most fun, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Why am I getting rid of it? I have been driving it for 8 years and almost 50,000 miles. My family and business have grown, and we really need something we can enjoy together. The car is about ready to be gone through again, as it has been 8 years so with the lack of time, its probably best to pass the torch and let someone else enjoy it.

This car also won the best Dare to be Different 2008 in the Reader’s Rides magazine in Hot Rod, Feb 2008, so its somewhat of a significant car.

I have to say that this car drives like a Porsche more than any other 914 V8 that I have ever driven. The 302 winds up freely and the gearing is perfect, so its not like driving around a camaro or mucslecar.

How much? I am asking $10K but would consider a trade for a Studebaker Lark wagon, Avanti or Avanti II, maybe a boat.

The details:
The car started out life as a 72 914 with no engine and the trans in the trunk. It was a project, decently solid, but needed to be completely redone. We purchased the car in 2001 and was on the road in 2002, we have been using it ever since.
Details:

IPB Image
IPB Image

Body:
Monochromatic 2001 VW cybergreen paint
Body lines modified, bumper cuts redone, all to line up
916 bumpers modified, front chin and grill e added
Aluminum accents and custom clear lenses

IPB Image

Chassis:
Front suspension and brakes are from an 82 911 SC, has through-body sway bar.
Rear has re-drilled hubs and rotors, rebuilt calipers, parking brake works too
Wheels are Boxter S 17x7 fronts all the way around, with very nice Pirelli P7 205-50/17 tires
Brad Mayeur 914 LTD chassis kit (wheel to wheel)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Engine:
Professionally built in 2009, with only 5000 miles on it.
Chevy 302, 1971 350 hi nickel block, with 1969 1174 crank
11:1 pistons
High-lift (.56) hydraulic roller cam and full roller rockers, cam drive
New HEI distributor
Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads
Edelbrock Performer intake
Edelbrock 500 CFM carb
Stainless headers
Desert Hybrids engine mount, water pump and alternator mount.
Kennedy Engineering adapter plate and clutch, stage 3, no slipping and very easy on the clutch foot, not heavy like some cars.
New exhaust, tucked up so it is not visible, each side has 02 sender ports
Had it on the dyno in 2009 at a event at work, 380 RWHP, which means about 425-435 HP at the wheels
Cooling is is a custom dual pass radiator with custom hard line wherever we could use it. Car has never been over 195 F, even in 100F heat.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Transmission
Rebuilt and re-geared by 914 LTD, has gear swap and taller, flipped “H” gear now is a 4- speed

Interior:
Pretty much stock with the addition of the aluminum trim on the dash and custom center armrest. Its in decent shape, but the rear panel and door panels could use some work, seats are nice and newer carpet
Gauges are the first set we ever built, white face quad, tach and speedo
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The good: This is a great driving car with no mechanical or electrical issues. I would trust this car driving across the country. It is very nice to drive, even with the 17” wheels. The Chevy 302 is perfectly suited to the 914 a it is high-winding like a Porsche engine. I have been getting 20-22 MPG, so its pretty good on gas, it does require premium fuel with 11:1 pistons. It definitely makes a lot of people mad here in Detroit, the hot rod guys hate it because it’s a Porsche, the Porsche guys hate it because it a 914, and the engine, and the guys with 930s, vipers and vettes hate it when I go right past them at the track
The car is very nice as is, you can enjoy it for many years to come in its current condition. I am a bit picky, so to bring it to the next level, the car would need:

The car was built back in 2002 and does have some miles on it, its really about tome to re-do the car. It needs:
Paint. The body work that was done was minimal, but I am not a body guy do it does need to be redone at some point. There was a small amount of rust behind the pass side door handle, it was cut out and patched, the filler is starting to pop, not bad but its starting.
There was some rust on the pass side fender top. It was patched, but the filler popped right after paint, and had been like that since 2002
The paint job was never that great in the first place, so it could be re-done.

Hell-hole and such:
The hell-hole was poorly repaired by a previous owner. I started cleaning things up and just painted over it. That was back in 2001, and it still looks the same, so it must be fine structurally.
Pass side floor. Yes, there was rust in the hell-hole at some point, so the floor on the pass side was rusted. Most of it was patched and then we laid fiberglass over it all from the inside. Was this the best way to go? Of course not, but my experience at the time was limited, if I had to do it all over again, I would have done things differently.
The trunk: Pretty solid, there was some swiss cheese where the floor meets the rear panel, threw some glass over it and painted the trunk floor.

Yes, these things could have been done better, and in hindsight, I should have done some things different, if I were doing this today, my skill set is much better and I want to be very open about the car.

That’s about it, if you are looking for a car that looks and drives great, that you can puts around with and improve as time goes on, this is for you.
Best way to contact is through email:
mark@newvintageusa.com
Do not send a PM as my email does not respond to the PMs
Or call: 248-259-4964

Morepics here:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/164674476qdhwkN
Ottoman
Mark,

I just wanted to say that the article that ran in Hot Rod magazine renewed my desire to own a 914. Thank you for building a wonderful car. In my opinion your car carries celebrity status.

Best Regards,
Cairo94507
Congratulations on building and driving a nice car. The 302 is an excellent choice for a 914. My '69 Z-28 was a 302 (original DZ motor) and it would spin 8K all day long and ran great. Good luck with the sale.
moparrob
Great car, someone will enjoy it.

That reminds me, though, I need to order a quad gauge....
jimkelly
curious - do you have to pass emissions in your state with this car each year?

jim
Slick914
Michigan does not have emissions testing.
ewdysar
PM sent.

Eric
enderw88
Still available?
enderw88
QUOTE(enderw88 @ Jun 5 2011, 07:40 PM) *

Still available?

SOLD.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.