jimkelly
first they paint

then they fix frame damage

then they decide to try to start engine

seems back-ass-wards to me ; )
messix
yeah.... real pro's shades.gif
jasons
I have my doubts about the "reality" of that show. Or any "reality" show for that matter. They're all scripted and edited to maximize drama.

scotty b
Don't get me started dry.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 3 2011, 12:24 PM) *

Don't get me started dry.gif

The biggest joke is they say that they "RESTORE" cars, sorry, pulling a questionable engine out of a junk yard is not restoring, scarey thing is they don't even rebuild the engines or any of the other stuff barf.gif
bandjoey
It's a fun show with old cars but no way real. "With only 24 hours before the auction we still have to paint the car, shorten the drive shaft, and install the interior. It'll be tough but we can get it done for Dad!"

popcorn[1].gif
scotty b
The only episode of desert car kings I made it through was one where the dipshit was crying about what an impossible task it would be to convert a 59 Caddy to 12 volt huh.gif REALLY ?? blink.gif

I watched Speeds latest attempt today. " CAR WARRIORS "

What a joke. 72 hour build time. A group of " pros " vs a hometown shop. Freaking " pros " couldn't get a 350 to slide into a Caddy dry.gif Hometown guys dropped a 454 right in. Hometown guy shot satin black for the FIRST TIME IN HIS LIFE on the show. ( FYI Satin black is almost as hard to shoot as candy is. ) The guy couldn't get it to lay out properly. Me, I'm thinking " try some retarded retard " Nope. He presents the car with dry spots all over it. headbang.gif

What I would give for a NORMAL build show without the drama, competition, clip splicing,and scripting with competent mechanics/bodymen. hissyfit.gif I still say Build or Bust was the only REAL reality show that was worth a damn welder.gif

Oh and FYI the Car Warriors show is doing a 66 Beetle next week. Should be interesting what a bunch of SoCal hotrodders do to it..........
jasons
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 3 2011, 02:32 PM) *

I watched Speeds latest attempt today. " CAR WARRIORS "

There was an article on Jalopnik about that caddy episode. The hometown team was suing the show due to producers manipulation of the outcome. Something like that anyway. Apparently the Pros threw a hissy fit about losing so they edited the show such that the pros win. IDK I've never watched that show. The build competition theme is played out.

Its just entertainment, same as pro wrestling.
Dr Evil
That show reminds me of how Ron Light in Hershey does 914, 912, 911 and any other car he does. Fast, shiny, thats it.

This show is interesting, but crap. It fails to address the important things, everything is always a rush, and its all about shine vs quality. Too bad that is what sells.
rick 918-S
No brake jobs, no new ball joints, tie rods, crappy old junkyard engines, WTF.gif The auction prices in the early shows reflected the build style but the owners were not pleased with the sell prices. The good part is they are showing how nice and rust free the cars have been coming from their yard. I wonder if they have any 914's?
Mike Bellis
As a former Muscle Car guy, DVAP has some great low rust parts. They are famous for parts.

Them building a car and calling it "restored" is a joke! A paint job and new uphostery is not restoring a car. They pulled an unknown Ford V8 and put it in a truck and called it restored; Unbelievable! Some poor guy bought that truck thinking the engine is good. They are selling shiny junk and are upset because the auction in the JUNK YARD does not command top dollar??? WTF.gif

The old man is a train wreck, the kid is stupid. The guys in the shop are just above useless... But for some stupid reason, I keep watching... and bitching to my wife about these hacks as I make her watch it with me... Life is grand... smile.gif
Lou W
agree.gif with everything said, pretty pathetic. I wonder if they sell them with a Salvage Title? blink.gif
kphimself
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 3 2011, 09:53 PM) *

No brake jobs, no new ball joints, tie rods, crappy old junkyard engines, WTF.gif The auction prices in the early shows reflected the build style but the owners were not pleased with the sell prices. The good part is they are showing how nice and rust free the cars have been coming from their yard. I wonder if they have any 914's?

On the first show in the fathers lot he had a red 914 in there. I only noticed it becouse it had wheels on it, i got use to seeing my on jack stands...
dwillouby
These shows are crap. Its obvious the producers and writers are clueless when it comes to cars.
I still watch anyway biggrin.gif

David
Cheapsnake
I think they ought to spice the show up with a little friction between the son and dad and have it escalate to the point that they go separate ways and the son starts his own shop and becomes the star of the show then the old man sues him and...oh wait, have you heard this one? barf.gif

jimkelly
at least holmes on homes added some sweeties recently - made a good show, more gooder : ))
malaga_red75
anyone watch overhaulin?

Id like to think that the show is "real"

I know I enjoy watching it, and Chip Foose is no amateur.

not sure if they really build it in 7 days or whatever, but still a cool show.

-peter
bembry
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Apr 4 2011, 10:59 PM) *

anyone watch overhaulin?

-peter

I'd rather see the redneck specials from DVAP than Chip Foose slapping ugly ass 20" billet rims on what were cool old cars. . .only thing worse than him was Cod Boydington, same big rims as Foose, but much less personality (unless you count shitty personality!).
By the way, DVAP is a fun yard, show or not. I used to run around there when I lived in Phoenix 12 years ago. piratenanner.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Apr 4 2011, 09:59 PM) *

anyone watch overhaulin?

-peter

7 days yes, but there are close to 60 people working on the cars during that time. I have met 2 people that were on the builds and both said they put in well over 100 hours in that week themselves.
E-Man 1313
chip foose does some of the worst paint schemes to some of the nicest cars if my car ended up there i would end up having to repaint it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.