Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The count down has begun (30 days and counting)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
1st step:
Kick the 911 out of the garage.....
Mueller
2nd step, bring the 914 into the garage and clean off the bird cr@p.....
drew365
A thousand mile journey begins with one step, Grasshopper.
Lets hope step 3 isn't "Clean the bird crap off 911"
Good luck.
Mueller
now, this is one ugly mess of a motor, hope I can find all the parts to this...just a few weeks ago it was a complete running engine, then i bought it smile.gif
Mueller
i think i made a slight mistake in not marking a single wire here !!!!! smile.gif
rick 918-S
You guys get over there and help him! That's a butt load of work! Remember, There are 24 hours in a day! smilie_pokal.gif Post progress pics everyday!
Andyrew
I would! I know how hard it was for me to try and get mine ready for school..

Good luck Mike, If there is anything we can do, just holler.

Andrew
mightyohm
Holy crap, that's a lot of wires!!!
Joe Bob
I can save ya a LOT of time on an engine..... rocking nana.gif
Gint
Go Mikey! driving.gif
Bleyseng
I should have flown down when Monique was out of town for a month. Now, its all up to you! Looks like fun!
I think you need to take your DWD medicine tonight! and until you finish getting this car running.

Geoff wacko.gif
415PB
Damn that looks like alot of work. Good luck and may the teener gods be with you.
PatW
Mike.

Looks like most of the parts are there.

Assemble a team..
rick 918-S
One thing at a time. If you hit a wall on something, move over to another part and keep working until you get what you need to move on your first task. Maybe "Z"s motor will help solve one issue...
ablose58
Go dude go! you can do it smilie_pokal.gif Don't lose heart!! smile.gif AL
EdwardBlume
I'm in. I have a spare engine here if you need to borrow it.
Jenny
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ May 3 2004, 11:36 PM)
I'm in. I have a spare engine here if you need to borrow it.

Rob, you need to stop offering parts! I still have your passenger side mirror on my driver's side. Will return it ASAP, I promise. rolleyes.gif

Jen
EdwardBlume
No big deal unless you paint it pink like the rest of the car. biggrin.gif

BTW- the spare engine would need some attention to run (but not much).
Jenny
QUOTE(cavwpguy @ May 3 2004, 11:49 PM)
No big deal unless you paint it pink like the rest of the car. biggrin.gif

Thanks. I was just looking for a nice segway into hijacking this thread... Sorry Mike. wink.gif

http://www.914world.com/members/markd/jens4/jens4.html
Mueller
Progress report:

put the car on jackstands (that's was "interesting",the car moved instead of the floor jack, when I lowered the floorjack the jackstands kicked out and I almost got squished by my front spoiler)

took apart my front calipers and broke a piston in the process (used a screwdriver on the ridge and obviously used too much force, piston would not budge using compressed air, the other pistons came out without a problem)

tonight I hope to clean and rebuild the calipers, install them along with new SS hoses in the front and swap out my torsion bars for some new 22mm units I've had sitting around for 8 months.

I've decided to work from the front of the car to the back.......stay focused Mueller !!!!!
TheCabinetmaker
clap56.gif
peridotian
MIke,
I know some dude that sells these really cool needle bearing kits..........
Sammy
I realize this advise is a little late, but here goes:

Whenever I play with automotive wiring I try to mark them but the labels usually fall of. Then I came up with an idea.
I have a set of 1000 zip ties I bought from harbor freight tools for about $6. There and many different colors and sizes, so I started using the zip ties to color code the wires. One blue one on the wire and one on the plug, no way I can screw that up.
When I get to the point where I've used up all the colors i start using combinations, lie a red and blue, or two reds, etc. makes life easier and they won't fall off.

Also, whe trying to remove a stuck piston in a caliper I've had some luck using a grease gun. They will build up a shit load of pressure (around 2500 psi at least) and that is enough to get any psiton free.
Caution is required to make sure the piston doesn't hit you in the head or go through the wall but it can be done safely. You just have to make sure you get every bit of grease out afterwards, or load up the grease gun with brake fluid.
Mueller
wow, finally something being assembled on/in the car smile.gif

dash frame...i wanted to do a custom dash similar to the 356 cars, I just don't have the time (or skill??) to do it right now, so back to the factory dash
Mueller
with my mill broken (both of them, now I've got a few grand worth of large paperweights taking up space and soon money sad.gif )

i had to drill out the broken head stud on my drill press, not the most accurate, but better than nothing...

Hey Jake, if you see this, do you the correct angle that the exhaust studs are relitive to the bottom of the head??
I put 'em at 5° which looks pretty good.
Mueller
welcome to my engineering nightmare....i should have listened to Brad the first time...now i know why this is one of the most least popular conversions: going from 4x130 bolt pattern to 4x100 bolt pattern

it's a PITA, plain and simple

I'm about thiiiiiiiissssss close to throwing my rims and tires on eBay and going back to the standard bolt pattern...

so here is my rear rotor that i drilled yesterday, the center bore diameter is too big which causes the new holes to break thru. I don't like that at all...it's probebly okay for mild street use (and it is the rear brakes which don't see as much forces), but I plan on beating on the car (with love of course) so I cannot put these to use with a clear conscious
nebreitling
my 2cents: cut your losses and toss the 4x100 setup! safety first!
jonwatts
Well that does it right there. You can no longer consider using the new name we came up with for your company in good conscience (URP: Un-original Racing Products); because that, my friend, is very original.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(nebreitling @ May 9 2004, 12:18 PM)
my 2cents: cut your losses and toss the 4x100 setup! safety first!

You guys worry too much. The tapered bolts are the point of force on the rotors not the studs, If you shear a tapered bolt the rotors will clunk. and your lugs will loosen before anything else happens.
neo914-6
Mike,

I admire your penchant for innovation!

Wouldn't you have seen the broken hole pattern in ProE?? huh.gif

Felix
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 9 2004, 12:46 PM)
so I cannot put these to use with a clear conscious

i wouldn't run 'em ...

better ways to kill yourself! wink.gif
Andy
McMark
Why aren't we painting that car right now for the WCC? You could be pimpin'. I'll even figure out the wiring for you.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.