Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Blue is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racerbvd
What Blue is this??? Paint is all coming off, the "Six" is going back to the "correct" color, a blue. What is the Name of this Blue and anyone have a picture of a Teener in this color??
Click to view attachment
Ferg
Gemini Blue, or Metallic Blue would be the only two available on a real six, Metallic blue being only available on a 70 only unless a special order ect?

What else you have to go on?

Update: 84 is Metallic Blue from the colors page

Rusty
My car was originally Metallic Blue. It had about four paint jobs on it before I took it to bare metal and repainted.

The underside of the engine lid was (is) still original. The original Metallic Blue paint was almost a sea blue.
Tom_T
IIRC the Porsche number codes (i.e.: 84 in this case) were dropped in favor of the VW color codes in 71 or 72 MY, so this is the 70 MY Metallic Blue, as shown it the pic above. p914.com also has good color codes & sample cars under paint section.

more of the same 914-6 in Metallic Blue as posted above ......
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

and another 914-6 in same 84 if you prefer the Fuchs wheels to Mahles .....
Click to view attachment

IMHO - it's a "Bitchen color"! drooley.gif wub.gif smile.gif
racerbvd
Thanks guys, I lucked out on it being a nice color, and I too am set up to run both Fuchs & Mahles biggrin.gif
This is what it looked like when we got it..
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
And now looks like this biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment

More pix on my FB page, trying to completely document this, as the goal is to enter it in the PCA Parade concours screwy.gif
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2534...id=186854959512
Gustl
why does the stripped one has 4-lug-rims blink.gif
Valy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 3 2011, 09:24 PM) *

agree.gif
Here goes the "Going back to original" screwy.gif
racerbvd
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 3 2011, 08:24 PM) *

Because we had Brad remove all the susp, and it is at Powder Tech Plus,
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1941...id=186854959512
and will be refinished, rebuilt then reinstalled on the "Six" piratenanner.gif
Why would I send a car on Fuch or Mahles to a paint shop, this way, all susp & brakes can be rebuilt and the tub is still a roller..
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 3 2011, 09:24 PM) *

Because while you're working on the car, it doesn't really matter how you get it to roll around.

Especially if you are redoing your original 5-lug suspension and you still want to be able to roll the car around the shop.

shades.gif
Scott S
QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 3 2011, 06:09 PM) *

Gemini Blue, or Metallic Blue would be the only two available on a real six, Metallic blue being only available on a 70 only unless a special order ect?

What else you have to go on?

Update: 84 is Metallic Blue from the colors page

As you know, I very much prefer flared cars to stock fendered cars. I dont think I have ever seen a 914 that I would hesitate to cut up and flare. But wow, that blue car is beautiful. Great color, perfect wheels. Very classy. beerchug.gif
racerbvd
I'm just happy that it is a nice color, and not the typical red or silver, can't wait to get this finished and have ordered the COA so I will know which wheels are correct for it, but we still need a early dash..
racerbvd
Here is how she is coming...
These were taken today..

racerbvd
piratenanner.gif The Factory "Six" is getting closer!!! piratenanner.gif
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
piratenanner.gif
racerbvd
Can you believe that we are having trouble finding the correct paint WTF.gif
car is ready to spray but need paint to spay it. PPG doesn't have it
effutuo101
beautiful work. good luck on the paint!
racerbvd
Looks like the painter can't find the correct paint headbang.gif
He bought the wrong color Blue when he sprayed the bottom, so now that has to be done again, and I have to supply the paint.. Now, the car is completely stripped and no paint chips left chair.gif chair.gif .. Not the way I wanted to start the week..
SirAndy
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Sep 17 2012, 12:30 PM) *
Looks like the painter can't find the correct paint headbang.gif

Try Porsche!

I bought my paint directly from Porsche in Germany and handed it to the paint shop.

Not the cheapest way, but i wanted to be sure i get the "right" stuff ...
shades.gif
Cap'n Krusty
..............and they sent some kid down the street to the paint store to get it .............

The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 17 2012, 02:15 PM) *
..............and they sent some kid down the street to the paint store to get it .............

You talking to me? biggrin.gif

If so, i really hope the guys at Porsche Classic didn't bullshit me, because i asked that exact same question when i talked to them about getting the paint and was assured they wouldn't just grab a bucket from the shelf at their local flaps ...
popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
PPG 2252
tod914
The Glassurit site should have the formula listed as well.
racerbvd
Thanks guys, sent the info down..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.