*** it is half-past April and it's fricken' SNOWING! ***

i should be outside pulling the engine and transmission from the 914.6
to get it ready for loading and shipment but i'm not gonna go out into
the mud and snow to do it ... i need to be dismantling and stripping
the ur-GTI so i can scrap the shell but i can't go out in weather like
this!! GACK! i have only just so many 'snow days' built into my
schedule ...
jonwatts
Scraping the WonderBunny's shell? Do you expect to find a better one when you get to the rust belt?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 13 2003, 12:33 PM)
Scrap[p]ing the WonderBunny's shell? Do you expect to find a better one when you get to the rust belt?

probably not. but i think the Cabrio through '89 used the Mk-I suspension and i might be able to find on of those somewhere. maybe not the 'immediate area' of the Northeast, but i may be willing to transport a good shell at some future time. i don't have the room for the GTI, nor am i willing to spend what it'd cost to move a whole dead car - i'm already moving two dead Porsches, i can't push my luck -that- far.

so some day, i may have a chance to build up a Cabrio project car 'for fun and profit' using all the uprated suspension parts i paid so much for when i built up the GTI. or i'll be in a position to sell one shipset of really nice Mk-I suspension parts on Ebay to someone else with a project car somewhere.

i can't take the time to deal with that right now, and the GTI's shell isn't in that great shape. i can pull off and ship all the expensive lo-time hard parts and store them for a while until some other opportunity presents itself. it's not like they'll be the only things in storage until we're in a position to buy another house...
djm914-6
A Truck!!!
I have always wanted to buy a VW Pick Up and install all of the GTIs goodies. The suspension, seats, dash etc are a direct fit. Makes for a nice sleeper that can also haul Porsche parts. At the waterfest in NY a few years ago, some nut installed a VR6 enging in one of these things.
markb
Gee Dave, too bad we're on opposite Coasts, we've got a vw pickup that's been sitting at the shop for a couple years now. Needs a motor transplant. Also have a cabrio that would work for Rich's project, but it has some rust at the back of the top.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Apr 13 2003, 03:03 PM)
A Truck!!!
I have always wanted to buy a VW Pick Up and install all of the GTIs goodies. The suspension, seats, dash etc are a direct fit.

i do have the original seats - the pax is still installed, the driver's got relocated to storage when i installed the MoMo Rookie for autocross. the front suspension may be a bolt-over but the last time i saw a VW truck i thought it had leaf rear springs. been a while tho and i never really followed the trucks that closely. donno if it could take advantage of the 4-wheel disks i worked so hard to make work on the GTi...

but i'll have all the GTI 'stuff' in storage in PA, you find the right truck candidate before i find my Cabrio and we'l ltalk package deal ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.