Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump not running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914coop
On a 76 2.0 D-jet, FI harness just replaced.

What I have done/checked.
* all FI harness connections
* Power to coil to make sure I was getting power to engine compartment
* disconnected FI harness from relay board and did Sir Andy's carb connection set up
* took out the tank a tested the pump by attaching it to anorher battery....Worked

So is it the relay(s) or should I also check something else?

Thanks Irv
GeorgeRud
Check the round fuel pump relay in the engine compartment. You can swap it for another round relay to test it.
luskesq
Agree with relay switch or you can remove the fuel pump relay and with a wire, jumper between pin s 30 & 87. Pump should run when jumped and if so, the relay is bad.

keith
JRust
Is it getting power from the ignition? Does it click or anything when you turn the key? How about the fuse on the relay board?
Bartlett 914
It could also be a bad relay board. Happened to me.
914coop
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 6 2011, 09:00 PM) *

Is it getting power from the ignition? Does it click or anything when you turn the key? How about the fuse on the relay board?

Ignition has power coil and the Crane ignition all have power.
Hear a click when turning the ignition off.
Did not check the fuse on the relay board thoroughly, just gave it a quick look and it seemed to be good. I will pull that out and give it a good look.

Thanks Irv

sww914
A bad ground at the multiple ground point on top of the engine case can do it too.
SUNAB914
Irv, is the ground wire connection at fuel pump clean. Double check. Good luck!
JeffBowlsby
Go through this testing procedure to be sure yuor bases are covered Irv.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/FPChecklist_frame.htm

rick 918-S
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 7 2011, 02:05 PM) *

That's nice! I book marked that one!
914coop
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 7 2011, 11:05 AM) *

Thanks Jeff, that is great information. I now know what I am doing tonight..... biggrin.gif

Irv
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 7 2011, 03:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 7 2011, 02:05 PM) *

That's nice! I book marked that one!

read the whole site....more than once.

Rich
jasons
When my car sits for more than a few weeks, my pump sticks. I tap it with a wrench and it starts working.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 7 2011, 04:58 PM) *

When my car sits for more than a few weeks, my pump sticks. I tap it with a wrench and it starts working.

I am trying to get my 914 started after is sat and got real wet and ripe this winter, and have narrowed it down to the fuel pump as one item not making its normal sound.
I will to give it a tap and a smack!

Paul's site on troubleshooting is not working on my internet. BUMMER! I am using Firefox, maybe try IE?? It looks like a slide show or something and I can't get past the intro page sad.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 10 2011, 06:26 PM) *
Paul's site on troubleshooting is not working on my internet. BUMMER! I am using Firefox, maybe try IE?? It looks like a slide show or something and I can't get past the intro page sad.gif

Yes, try it in IE. Didn't work for me in FF or Chrome.

driving.gif
914coop
Thanks guys,
Mine is running again, However I do not know why????
Just went through the problem isolation steps in the flow chart and everything tested out okay and when I got to the end fuel pump ran. WTF.gif

Well I am not going to complain, guessing it is a relay ready to go so I have extras with me.

Now on to the other spring things to get it ready for the road.

Thanks Again Irv.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914coop @ Apr 14 2011, 09:06 AM) *

Thanks guys,
Mine is running again, However I do not know why????
Just went through the problem isolation steps in the flow chart and everything tested out okay and when I got to the end fuel pump ran. WTF.gif

Well I am not going to complain, guessing it is a relay ready to go so I have extras with me.

Now on to the other spring things to get it ready for the road.

Thanks Again Irv.

aktion035.gif WTG!
jasons
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 10 2011, 03:26 PM) *

I jump the relay, then tap the pump and it starts whirring. Sometimes it starts but runs slow and the car stumbles. Same thing, tap the pump and that familiar whirring comes back. BTW mine is relocated to the front so its easy access.
Bartlett 914
You are living on borrowed time my friend. Sounds like the brushes are worn.

QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 15 2011, 12:26 AM) *

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Apr 10 2011, 03:26 PM) *

I jump the relay, then tap the pump and it starts whirring. Sometimes it starts but runs slow and the car stumbles. Same thing, tap the pump and that familiar whirring comes back. BTW mine is relocated to the front so its easy access.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.