Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 axle & hub upgrade + Cup II's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
matthepcat
Found a set of Cup II wheels that are paint matched to my car on craigslist. (what are the chances?)

Arena Red from a 1997 993. (still might have them painted dark)

This weekend I am hunting for 944 axle parts and picking up some output shafts from a coarse splined 915 trans-axle.

I have a few questions:
  • Can I use 914-6 brake rotors on the rear with 914-4 calipers?
  • Running modern Porsche wheels will require spacers. 2" in the rear good enough?
Here are some shots of the wheels: shades.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Mike Bellis
It's way cheaper to re-drill the rear hubs and rotors. 914-6 rotors will cost you $$$$$$$... The front is easy bolt in if you can find a 911 suspension.
d914
still depends on backspace but the rough answer is yes.. I ran 54mm spacers with an et52 wheel.. cups and turbo twisties..
matthepcat
Well I have bus axles in the rear, with those old renegade hybrids adapter plates.

The axles & Cv's themselves are bullet proof, but I am not a big fan of the adapters. They are 4 small bolts and 2 pins.

The V8 sheared all of them once already, so I want to try 944.

I think this configuration would be fine with any other conversion, but the V8 just pounds it.

Matt

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 7 2011, 01:18 PM) *

It's way cheaper to re-drill the rear hubs and rotors. 914-6 rotors will cost you $$$$$$$... The front is easy bolt in if you can find a 911 suspension.
matthepcat
What size flairs does your car have? 10"?

Matt

QUOTE(d914 @ Apr 7 2011, 01:23 PM) *

still depends on backspace but the rough answer is yes.. I ran 54mm spacers with an et52 wheel.. cups and turbo twisties..

914junkie
I don't know how wide your rear flares are but I have those same 17" 993
Cup II's on my car right now with a Sheridan body (standard not wide body flares) and I'm running 3" spacers to push them out to the lip. The difference between early and late offset is 1". I can post a pic if ya want. ~ Paul
raw1298
I have the same wheels, 7.5 in front and 9's in the back. I have 2" of spacers on the rear, could go 3" but like the way it sits inside the fender.I will be putting 2.25" spacers on the front due to offset.
matthepcat
Paul please post pics!

I think my flairs are 10" or maybe 11" I need to measure them.

QUOTE(914junkie @ Apr 7 2011, 08:26 PM) *

I don't know how wide your rear flares are but I have those same 17" 993
Cup II's on my car right now with a Sheridan body (standard not wide body flares) and I'm running 3" spacers to push them out to the lip. The difference between early and late offset is 1". I can post a pic if ya want. ~ Paul

matthepcat
Looks good.

What size tires are you running? You look like you have the same size flairs as me...not sure.

I like the idea of the wheels pushed out far, but don't really like the idea of 3" of spacer.

Seems crazy.

QUOTE(raw1298 @ Apr 8 2011, 09:49 AM) *

I have the same wheels, 7.5 in front and 9's in the back. I have 2" of spacers on the rear, could go 3" but like the way it sits inside the fender.I will be putting 2.25" spacers on the front due to offset.

matthepcat

IPB Image

15x8 in the front 225/50/15

15x10 in the back 265/50/15

Not sure off offsets but they are old school chevy wheels running inside out.
raw1298
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Apr 8 2011, 02:15 PM) *

Looks good.

What size tires are you running? You look like you have the same size flairs as me...not sure.

I like the idea of the wheels pushed out far, but don't really like the idea of 3" of spacer.

Seems crazy.

QUOTE(raw1298 @ Apr 8 2011, 09:49 AM) *

I am running 205/40/17 in front and 215/45/17 in back. The flares are the ones from QRS.
Scott S
Those wheels are going to completely transform the look of that car - VERY cool.
914junkie
Those first two pics are the Cup's with 255/40/17 and 205/4017's with 3" spacers in the rear and 2.5" spacers in the front. That's on stock redrilled 914 rotors. The last pic is the 8.5X18 and 18X10 wheels with 245/40/18 and 275/40/18's with the same spacers. The 18's are going back on the car but with 225/40/18 and 285/30/18's to reduce the OD of the tire's. They were just too big and it slowed the car down. I agree that 3" spacers are kinda crazy and I'm looking to get rid of them and replace the wheels with a 3" deeper offset to eliminate them entirely.
I'm not sure what will be involved with the 944 hubs and how much spacing you will gain but the late 944 hubs are 1" further out so I would think that is what you would want. Your flares look very wide so I'm thinking you would need at least 3" spacers to run those Cup's. I can take some measurments if ya want. I have a friend up here who dismantles alot of 944's and has both early and late hubs. PM me and I can prolly get you the hubs for pretty cheap. Hope that helps. biggrin.gif ~ Paul
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
matthepcat
Paul,

Thanks for the photos! Yea I am thinking 2.5" might be the magic number. Waiting until I get the axles & hubs assembled to measure.

I found 87 944 axles,stubs and hubs at pick n pull yesterday.
I also found coarse spline 915 output shafts for my 901 that bolted right in.

Looks like the 944 axles are too long at this point. Not sure if it is the output shaft or the hub that is creating this issue... Or maybe how my trans is mounted.

QUOTE(914junkie @ Apr 8 2011, 09:25 PM) *

Those first two pics are the Cup's with 255/40/17 and 205/4017's with 3" spacers in the rear and 2.5" spacers in the front. That's on stock redrilled 914 rotors. The last pic is the 8.5X18 and 18X10 wheels with 245/40/18 and 275/40/18's with the same spacers. The 18's are going back on the car but with 225/40/18 and 285/30/18's to reduce the OD of the tire's. They were just too big and it slowed the car down. I agree that 3" spacers are kinda crazy and I'm looking to get rid of them and replace the wheels with a 3" deeper offset to eliminate them entirely.
I'm not sure what will be involved with the 944 hubs and how much spacing you will gain but the late 944 hubs are 1" further out so I would think that is what you would want. Your flares look very wide so I'm thinking you would need at least 3" spacers to run those Cup's. I can take some measurments if ya want. I have a friend up here who dismantles alot of 944's and has both early and late hubs. PM me and I can prolly get you the hubs for pretty cheap. Hope that helps. biggrin.gif ~ Paul
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

matthepcat
So here are the parts lined up in order that come off each side.

901 output shaft modified for bus axle adapter
RH adapter plate
Bus axle
RH adapter plate
Stub axle
914 hub drilled to accept 4 to 5 lug adapter/spacer
4x130 to 5 x 4.75 (chevy) wheel adapter/spacer

Feww. . . blink.gif

Anyone need this stuff?

IPB Image

pcar916
The 944 axles are definitely too long, Mod the 914 axles or go with SwayAway.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Apr 10 2011, 09:55 AM) *

The 944 axles are definitely too long, Mod the 914 axles or go with SwayAway.

There are a few threads about this. You really just use the 944 CVs with the 914 axle. You machine a little off the 914 axle to get the 944 CV to fit.
matthepcat
1987 Porsche 944 Hub installed:
IPB Image

915 coarse splined output shaft installed:
IPB Image

By the numbers it looks like I need about a 19" axle/cv length to be correct (+ or - a little)
matthepcat
UPDATE:

After 4 weeks of work travel & vacation, I am back on the project.

Today, I machined 4mm off 914 axles, striped & painted them. smash.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Turned out nice.
matthepcat
Also, a buddy at work helped me fabricate spacers for the 944 stub axles.

This took a bit of work to get the correct fit, and being steel also slows down the process. sawzall-smiley.gif

IPB Image

Spacer Seated

IPB Image

QUOTE(matthepcat @ May 7 2011, 04:44 PM) *

UPDATE:

After 4 weeks of work travel & vacation, I am back on the project.

Today, I machined 4mm off 914 axles, striped & painted them. smash.gif

Turned out nice.

Great progress.. I do have one question.. when you mentioned 'machine off' are you saying.. you machine off 4 mm off the ends, Then regrove the shaft?

Thanks
matthepcat

I took off 4mm from the inside of the splines. This allows fitment of the 100MM CV's.

See SirAndy's thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=80641&hl=
Mike Bellis
Awesome! Why do your axles look blue?
tradisrad
Matt,
nice job on the axles, they look great. I am glad that they seem to be working out for you.
-Rob
Britain Smith
I did the same set-up on the axles for my car...works great and is fairly lightweight compared to some of the alternative options.

-Britain
matthepcat
I think the metal looks blue because of the florescent lighting.

I glass blasted them, so they pick up more color from the light.

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 7 2011, 08:08 PM) *

Awesome! Why do your axles look blue?
matthepcat
Thanks for the axles Rob.

Good to meet a local 914 person.

QUOTE(tradisrad @ May 8 2011, 11:16 AM) *

Matt,
nice job on the axles, they look great. I am glad that they seem to be working out for you.
-Rob

QUOTE(matthepcat @ May 7 2011, 06:19 PM) *

I took off 4mm from the inside of the splines. This allows fitment of the 100MM CV's.

See SirAndy's thread here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=80641&hl=

Thanks for the clarification cheer.gif

Andy- THANK you too1
jaxdream
There's a fella on the club site that done the axle mod and using VW Mk 3 93-99 inner cvs that are coincidently 100mm dia. 33 inner spline and he claims they are 3mm thicker than 914 cvs. I searched evil bay for a price and they can be had under the Meyle label for around $70.00 . Personnaly I wouldn't be supprised that they turn out to be the same as the early 924/944 cv with 100mm / 33 spline count. He also bolted them up a 6 bolt / 100mm 911 stub axle. Some here may have access to the VW cv to compare .

Jack / Jaxdream
matthepcat
Hmm interesting.

I imagine that If I am snapping axles....I would be snapping transmissions first smile.gif

QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 8 2011, 09:22 PM) *

There's a fella on the club site that done the axle mod and using VW Mk 3 93-99 inner cvs that are coincidently 100mm dia. 33 inner spline and he claims they are 3mm thicker than 914 cvs. I searched evil bay for a price and they can be had under the Meyle label for around $70.00 . Personnaly I wouldn't be supprised that they turn out to be the same as the early 924/944 cv with 100mm / 33 spline count. He also bolted them up a 6 bolt / 100mm 911 stub axle. Some here may have access to the VW cv to compare .

Jack / Jaxdream

Mike Bellis
When I had my 914 Ford V8 5.0 narrow body, I used to snap CV joints every week. I lived 2 miles from Parts Heaven then, so it was only $50 a week for my habbit.

On my car now, I have the "500 HP Axles" wich are red with 930 CV's. They have billet adapters to go from the 914-4 tranny flange to the CV. 911 axles are shorter.

I do not snap CV's anymore. I also don't drive as stupid so I don't break tranny's either. 914 CV's are very weak when torque is applied. Your 944 or the Golf MK3 CV's should be great. Either way I think it is a 1mm difference in the CV. I am wondering what the price difference is?

You will have to grow up and stop doing burn outs... poke.gif
matthepcat
I wonder if your billet adapters are like the ones I had on my car (but for 930 instead of 100MM bus)

4 bolts and two steel pins? Make sure you have the bolts clean, locktite & torqued.

Mine would back out if not installed perfectly & then eventually I would shear the 4 grade 8 bolts (no launching).

I got the 944 CV's from the junk yard from an 87 for a bargain. They are in great shape (must have been replaced at some time)

Matt

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 10 2011, 06:25 PM) *

When I had my 914 Ford V8 5.0 narrow body, I used to snap CV joints every week. I lived 2 miles from Parts Heaven then, so it was only $50 a week for my habbit.

On my car now, I have the "500 HP Axles" wich are red with 930 CV's. They have billet adapters to go from the 914-4 tranny flange to the CV. 911 axles are shorter.

I do not snap CV's anymore. I also don't drive as stupid so I don't break tranny's either. 914 CV's are very weak when torque is applied. Your 944 or the Golf MK3 CV's should be great. Either way I think it is a 1mm difference in the CV. I am wondering what the price difference is?

You will have to grow up and stop doing burn outs... poke.gif

matthepcat
Getting closer to the ground.

Parts collected, and waiting installation.

Shooting to make it to Fremont breakfast meet.

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
That's a lot of parts to put on... They look way to clean.
matthepcat
Lots of progress tonight: smash.gif

Installed:

Turbo tie rods
911 struts with Bilsteins
Pressed in 100MM studs into front hubs
Installed hubs & rotors
Installed Porsche 944 Turbo calipers + bleed
Installed bearings
Installed rear hubs

Wife is out of town, so late night garage time For The Win!!

IPB Image

Thanks Eric for the shiny rear hubs.
IPB Image

Time for beer & sleep. beer.gif

Matt

P.S.--- Now if I could only find some dam dust caps that are not $60 each...I can button the front up.
PeeGreen 914
Holy cow those are long. Those are four times longer than my... uh... they look great smile.gif
matthepcat
Ha! lol-2.gif

Yes they are long. 100MM is the recommended stud length to run 54mm Turbo-Star wheel spacers.

Matt

QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ Aug 9 2011, 10:51 PM) *

Holy cow those are long. Those are four times longer than my... uh... they look great smile.gif

jaxdream
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 9 2011, 09:39 PM) *

Lots of progress tonight: smash.gif

Installed:

Turbo tie rods
911 struts with Bilsteins
Pressed in 100MM studs into front hubs
Installed hubs & rotors
Installed Porsche 944 Turbo calipers + bleed
Installed bearings
Installed rear hubs

Wife is out of town, so late night garage time For The Win!!

IPB Image

Thanks Eric for the shiny rear hubs.
IPB Image

Time for beer & sleep. beer.gif

Matt

P.S.--- Now if I could only find some dam dust caps that are not $60 each...I can button the front up.

What mods did you do to the calipers ?? BTW , I hate to step on your cloud , but that caliper in the pic needs to be the on other side as in mounted on the other side with the BLEEDERS pointing up not the cross over lines headbang.gif , otherwise you will never get those puppys bled.
Good Luck , looks great so far.

Jack
Andyrew
Great progress!

Let me know if you want to sell those rennegade CV's and adapters. smile.gif

Also I agree with Jack! sad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Aug 10 2011, 08:33 AM) *
BTW , I hate to step on your cloud , but that caliper in the pic needs to be the on other side as in mounted on the other side with the BLEEDERS pointing up not the cross over lines headbang.gif , otherwise you will never get those puppys bled.

agree.gif

Bleeders need to be UP. That caliper is on the wrong side ...
smash.gif
matthepcat
Calipers have arrows on them that show the direction of forward motion. (they are installed on the correct side).

The seller however installed the crossover tube on the wrong side.

You mod the calipers by machining the mounting holes ever so slightly to accept 3.5" bolt spacing.

Matt
SirAndy
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 10 2011, 01:28 PM) *
Calipers have arrows on them that show the direction of forward motion. (they are installed on the correct side).

Bleeders still need to be on the top. Good luck trying to get the air out of them when they're upside down ...
popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
Now I see what you did with the spacers... those are on the wrong item.

Have him turn some spacers for the hubs and you'll be good. Another bearing leaving tomorrow.
matthepcat
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 10 2011, 06:10 PM) *

Now I see what you did with the spacers... those are on the wrong item.

Have him turn some spacers for the hubs and you'll be good. Another bearing leaving tomorrow.

So the spacers you see in earlier posts are to use the 944 stub axles.

They just so happen to fit on the 911 hubs you sold me, and are about 5mm.

Just need to run them on the outside of the bearing on the hub, rather than the inside of the bearing on the stub.

Matt
matthepcat
Well it was alot more work that I thought...but I think it turned out nice! driving.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

The front tires are a little "pizza cutter" compared to the chevy ones that came out and I need more spacer.......or maybe different wheels with lower offset.

Matt
Mike Bellis
Looks nice! You do not want to push the front wheels too far out. It will rub and affect your scrub radius too much. Leave it alone...

Now you can come to the final 914 family reunion! We are meeting the gang in Antioch and taking the river hwy to Sacramento. If you are in, we can meet in San Ramon and caravan to Antioch.
matthepcat
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 18 2011, 06:45 PM) *

Looks nice! You do not want to push the front wheels too far out. It will rub and affect your scrub radius too much. Leave it alone...

Now you can come to the final 914 family reunion! We are meeting the gang in Antioch and taking the river hwy to Sacramento. If you are in, we can meet in San Ramon and caravan to Antioch.

Thanks Mike.

Dang! 268 miles for the break in drive. I guess I better do a bunch of driving around this weekend to expose any weaknesses. idea.gif

Ohh yea...I think that weekend I promised my buddy that I would caravan with him the the good guys car show.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 18 2011, 07:13 PM) *

Thanks Mike.

Dang! 268 miles for the break in drive. I guess I better do a bunch of driving around this weekend to expose any weaknesses. idea.gif

Make sure you put a torque wrench on your lugs. 80 Ft lbs...
matthepcat
Roger....

I put on some Anti-Seize and did 90lbs just for good measure.

Funny you should say that, as one of my previous chevy wheels lost all the lug nuts but 1 on the freeway.

I was lucky that day.

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 18 2011, 07:19 PM) *

Thanks Mike.

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 18 2011, 07:29 PM) *

Roger....

I put on some Anti-Seize and did 90lbs just for good measure.

Funny you should say that, as one of my previous chevy wheels lost all the lug nuts but 1 on the freeway.

I was lucky that day.

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Aug 18 2011, 07:19 PM) *

Thanks Mike.

Hondas recomend 80ft lbs. I am pretty sure Porsche is 100ft lbs confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.