Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil fill level
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Checking car after weekend event, and here is dipstick. Car was just serviced, so this is a bit annoying. Can this do any damage?
seanery
it'll blow by and leak, but should be ok. but what do I know? I may have just ruined a motor.
davep
That is pretty high, but unless you have noticed some damage, correcting it now should be okay. Mostly, a high oil level will result in increased drag on the crank. Other than that, I'd be interested in what Jake has to say.
tat2dphreak
that looks WAY high!

I was worried last year when mine was about 1/2 quart too much...

there's is 1/2 quart in between the "low" line and the "full" line... any more than that distance (1/4" or so) I would think you need to drain some!
Demick
Actually, this is something I've wondered about on cars with external oil coolers. Those cars have oil capacities much higher than stock. What happens when you shut down the motor? Depending on the cooler location and other factors, can't the oil drain from the external cooler and lines back into the crankcase? If so, that would give very high oil level readings if the car is sitting. How do you check the oil in these cases?

Demick
brant
1/2 a quart over is actually a good thing....

I doubt that you actually caused any damage, I've seen and ran high on more occasions than I care to admit with out problems.... most common thing I've seen is blowing valve cover gaskets at start up when too high...

(p.s. this is what happens when you spin off track and kill the motor while having a 3 quart accusump, which by the way is really too big for a typeIV motor and should be saved for chevy's)...

b
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Demick @ May 4 2004, 02:37 PM)
Actually, this is something I've wondered about on cars with external oil coolers. Those cars have oil capacities much higher than stock. What happens when you shut down the motor? Depending on the cooler location and other factors, can't the oil drain from the external cooler and lines back into the crankcase? If so, that would give very high oil level readings if the car is sitting. How do you check the oil in these cases?

Demick

agree.gif

never thought of it, but that's a damn good point!
Howard
OK, but my external cooler is BELOW the sump.
Dave_Darling
Does it smell like gasoline? If so, bad news. If your mixture is really absurdly rich, you can wind up getting liquid gasoline past the rings and down into the crankcase. Oil diluted with gas does not lubricate nearly as well as you want it to....

--DD
SirAndy
if it's just oil it'll blow by the valve in the oil-filler cap and be sucked through the intake and come out your exhaust.

that's what mine does laugh.gif

i always overfill before an AX, about 1/2 quart or so.
makes for nice black sud out of the tailpipes and sometimes i get blow-by on the pushrod tubes (too much oil-pressure, i guess) ...

but the engine runs like a champ.
Andy
Howard
Passes the sniff test, nice black exhaust pipes, but no smoke. Curiouser and curiouser.
Howard
Bump! Bottom line, should I drain the oil and refill to proper level?
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Howard @ May 6 2004, 11:58 AM)
Bump! Bottom line, should I drain the oil and refill to proper level?

OMHO, yes... that is way more than 1/2 quart... more than even a full quart...

fill it to full or +1/2qt... I wouldn't go beyond that though...
nebreitling
yes. drain and refill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.