Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clear Bra
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Just picked up the car from having a clear bra installed smilie_pokal.gif . Looks great, or should I say, can't even tell untill 5 feet and your are pointed to it. I also had them do the first 3inches of the rockers to prevent chipping.

pics to come soon...

Anybody else have this done and if so how is it holding up over time?

Ferg.
brant
ferg,

not that you wanted to hear from me....
but I've done it to 3 cars now and it holds up well so far 3+ years.......

It'll be on the orange teener after the paint work is done.

bump
brant
Jeffs9146
not that you wanted to hear from me....
but I've done it to 3 cars now and it holds up well so far 3+ years.......

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Jeff
Ferg
Not to go off topic but it's about time you get a avatar my man wink.gif
Gint
Hey Mike, Where'd you have it done? How much $$$?
Mark Henry
Is this the stick on molded clear plastic film?

I saw a Jetta with it and you barely see a line, only if were looking for it.
morph
I wanna see a pic
Bleyseng
Brant is using a clear avatar!

Maybe someone can take a pic of a model wearing a clear bra?
Ferg
Sorry I don't have pic's yet, the car came home on a flat bed last night ohmy.gif

Out of Gas... rolleyes.gif

Gauge read a 1/4 and it would go to empty before, so now I have a new project before WCC

Anyhow, the cost was 200, It goes a couple of inches above the headlights. They also did some fancy custom area's around the turn signals to get 100% coverage up front. I also had them do the rockers about 4 inches back from each wheel.

It's the clear stick on film, and yet only at the right angle do you see the line.

I promise to take pic's tonight. but it may be friday before I get them up here.
brant
I do need an avatar... but don't own a digi camera or even a computer.....

Ferg, If I get my black car running can you take a picture of my hood as an avatar?

I should of clarified and I apologize.. I have used the clear bra on three NON 914's.. so those wouldn't be very exciting pictures actually.....

but its good stuff, and at the driving school last month I even got rubber skid marks (from tire throw offs) on the clear bra hood of my ford focus... worked good for that also.....

brant
seanery
cool_shades.gif
brant
I LIKE it..... lol...
b
TimB
How does washing, polishing, and waing work with the clear bra? It seems there would be a texture difference. This is probably in an FAQ on a website, but I thought I'd ask.
Rusty
Geez... some of you guys are becoming old fogeys. I'll go there.. k?

OH YEAH! A clear bra works for me! w00t.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Levi
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 5 2004, 08:53 PM)
Geez... some of you guys are becoming old fogeys. I'll go there.. k?

OH YEAH! A clear bra works for me! w00t.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

agree.gif
Thanks, I didn't want to start..glad you did....
seanery
Eric_Shea
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeez... here's a clear bra pic. You can't see much because "It's Clear!":
You can wash and wax it, actually if you wax it they say it will last even longer.

I bought a roll of this stuff a while back and haven't used it yet, But I'm planning on cutting a piece for the hood and fenders. A roll of 12 feet (12in wide) cost about $30.00. I forget where I got it, but if you google 3m paint film I bet a few places show up.
seanery
is it just helicopter tape?
Ferg
is it just helicopter tape?

Yup, that's what they shop owner told me, He still does some avaition work.

Ferg
Its the same stuff that all the high end car dealers offer at their shops as a service. For pricey cars, people pay 500-900.00 to have it done. there are a bunch of specialty shops all over that basically have a computer set up with a printer that prints and cuts out sets of this film for each specific car. it's a pretty good idea, I'm told that after 7+ years or so the film will yellow, but all you can remove it by heating the surface, hot water and then peel.
Ferg
I know some of you wanted pic's of how it looks on the car. Well I took 10 shots last night and you could not make out the edges in any of the pic's. That gives you an idea of the "clearness". Anyhow I will try again in better light, but it still may not turn out. Those of you at the WCC will get to see it first hand.

Ferg.
ben*james
It's holding up rather well, I thought it had very recently been installed. Yellowing a bit, but you can't even notice the bra until you are close to the car. sunglasses.gif
carr914
QUOTE(7391420 @ May 6 2004, 03:10 PM) *

I'm told that after 7+ years or so the film will yellow, but all you can remove it by heating the surface, hot water and then peel.

I've seen them yellow & develope cracks (looks kinda like a shattered window). I saw one car that needed to be painted as the Film had chemically bonded the paint and when they tried to remove it, the Paint came with it - this was on a "Paint to Sample" 911
rhodyguy
the cruiser came with a package installed. bad idea on a white or light car to me. it collected dirt/road grime that left a dark line on every edge and was impossible to clean. then it started to haze and lift on the edges. i had it removed. your results may vary.

k
ben*james
I guess I'll report only slight yellowing out of that list. I'll take a picture when I get back to it and post. It's really quite impressive for such a time. sunglasses.gif

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 13 2013, 04:38 AM) *

QUOTE(7391420 @ May 6 2004, 03:10 PM) *

I'm told that after 7+ years or so the film will yellow, but all you can remove it by heating the surface, hot water and then peel.

I've seen them yellow & develope cracks (looks kinda like a shattered window). I saw one car that needed to be painted as the Film had chemically bonded the paint and when they tried to remove it, the Paint came with it - this was on a "Paint to Sample" 911

bandjoey
3M is selling this in a spray can now. Anyone try that ?
rhodyguy
how would you remove the spray on? hair dryer/heat gun was required to remove the sheet style. prob a better app for darker cars.

k
URY914
Here's a see thru bra. Don't know how well it would on the front of a 914..........

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
that would be period correct for 73s and 74s.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.