Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about Motor Mounts and Trans mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mojorisen914
I'm wanting/needing to replace the trans and motor mounts. Should I go with stock or after market? Suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Peeps!
914itis
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Apr 8 2011, 08:21 AM) *

I'm wanting/needing to replace the trans and motor mounts. Should I go with stock or after market? Suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Peeps!

I was told to use the 911 mounts as they are cheaper ans better. I think Pelicanparts.com and AutoAtlanta.com should carry them.
rick 918-S
Hey Rob, You have a 74 which means you likely will have the front mounts attached to the center of the cross bar linkage. The outer ends of the cross bar are solid mounts.

I just got a set of thefronts for the Ravenna car from Pelican. Service was very fast! I would use the 911 mounts on the rear that pelican lists also. They are cheaper than the 914 mounts. I think I read someplace that there is an issue with mounting them. Can't remember what it is though. Someone should chime in that has experience with them.
mojorisen914
Thanks, Paul.

Jwest's mounts are made of nylon and I'm thinking it would provide a stiffer/rigid support than the 911 mounts. Is that better?
plymouth37
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 8 2011, 07:34 AM) *

I would use the 911 mounts on the rear that pelican lists also. They are cheaper than the 914 mounts. I think I read someplace that there is an issue with mounting them. Can't remember what it is though. Someone should chime in that has experience with them.

Iirc you need to oval out the mounting holes a little bit to match the the 914, nothing too crazy though, I ran them on my car (pre-tube chassis) without problems.
RJMII
Can't you mount the 911 sport mounts on the front in place of the solid mounts? I was under the impression they'd bolt in. I have a 76 and have two more 911 sport mounts for the engine bar. I was just going to invert them and get longer bolts, or modify my engine mount bar to where the hollow tubes are that much shorter. sawzall-smiley.gif I have a couple of extras. (free to good home)
RJMII
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 8 2011, 07:42 AM) *

I would use the 911 mounts on the rear that pelican lists also. They are cheaper than the 914 mounts. I think I read someplace that there is an issue with mounting them. Can't remember what it is though. Someone should chime in that has experience with them.

Iirc you need to oval out the mounting holes a little bit to match the the 914, nothing too crazy though, I ran them on my car (pre-tube chassis) without problems.

Mine bolted in without needing ovaling. confused24.gif
mojorisen914
English people. You guys are making my head hurt.

av-943.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 8 2011, 06:55 AM) *

Can't you mount the 911 sport mounts on the front in place of the solid mounts? I was under the impression they'd bolt in. I have a 76 and have two more 911 sport mounts for the engine bar. I was just going to invert them and get longer bolts, or modify my engine mount bar to where the hollow tubes are that much shorter. sawzall-smiley.gif I have a couple of extras. (free to good home)

Look at the engine mount, over there in the middle. What do you see? I see 2 rubber mounts. Why would you mount the ends of the cross bar in rubber as well? Makes no sense to me, unless you want an even softer mounting. That would probably be even worse than a more solid mounting.

The Cap'n
RJMII
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 8 2011, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 8 2011, 06:55 AM) *

Look at the engine mount, over there in the middle. What do you see? I see 2 rubber mounts. Why would you mount the ends of the cross bar in rubber as well? Makes no sense to me, unless you want an even softer mounting. That would probably be even worse than a more solid mounting.

The Cap'n

I looked really close and I see the side of a turbo V6 that's mounted pretty friggin solid to the engine bar. It rattles my teeth when the boost kicks in. I didn't mean to hi-jack Rob's thread, but since we were already discussing the 911 motor mounts, I thought I'd ask. So, think they'll bolt in?
RJMII
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Apr 8 2011, 08:50 AM) *

av-943.gif

I tried posting some of my pics from facebook here, but they wanted to save as huge bmp files. :S I just tagged you in them instead. beerchug.gif
Black22
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 8 2011, 06:58 AM) *

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Apr 8 2011, 07:42 AM) *

Mine bolted in without needing ovaling. confused24.gif

agree.gif Mine too.
detoxcowboy
I also have a 74, stick with the stock motor mounts, you can use the 911 mounts on the tranny if you wish as the stock are HTF, I used the 911 mounts on the tranny and switched back to stock when I found a set.. why? hanging desighn of stock hangs lower but more evenly than the 911 style.. not a big deal.. I agree with Cap'N on that you do not need 4 rubber mounts on the motor, would be softer but may cause more movement and issues unforseen..
Cap'n Krusty
They'll bolt in. I suggest, in your application, you put a large, thick, washer above the mount. Probably about 3" in diameter so you're protected should the mount fail. Something along the line of the one used above the tranny mount or the early engine mount. I might even use the stock washers from a 911 application. Had I done the install, I would have tried to isolate the cross bar from the engine with some Volvo style mounts.

The Cap'n
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 8 2011, 11:04 AM) *

They'll bolt in. I suggest, in your application, you put a large, thick, washer above the mount. Probably about 3" in diameter so you're protected should the mount fail. Something along the line of the one used above the tranny mount or the early engine mount. I might even use the stock washers from a 911 application. Had I done the install, I would have tried to isolate the cross bar from the engine with some Volvo style mounts.

The Cap'n

Ah yes, I knew there was an issue with the transaxle end. Thanks Cap'n. I forgot you need to protect the car if the mount rubber fails. A large washer will save the transaxle from dropping on the ground if the mounts rip out. Anyone else ever have that happen? unsure.gif It's crazy dangerous and really scary when every rotation of the axle picks up the rear of the transaxle then slaps it back down while you try to who that bucker down! yikes.gif

I have solid mounts front and rear myself. I like them. I have about 15000 miles or so with them and have no issues except better shifting and a positive launch when you blip the loud peddle.
RJMII
I agree with Cap'N on that you do not need 4 rubber mounts on the motor, would be softer but may cause more movement and issues unforseen..

agree.gif

Thanks, Cap'n. smile.gif It makes sense to move the rubber pieces closer to the engine because of the increase in force on the vibration dampeners as their location moves farther away from the center of rotation.
mojorisen914
QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 8 2011, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ Apr 8 2011, 08:50 AM) *

av-943.gif

I tried posting some of my pics from facebook here, but they wanted to save as huge bmp files. :S I just tagged you in them instead. beerchug.gif

Thanks, Jim. I'll have to look at FB when I get home from work.
jim912928
I just directly bolted in 911 transmission mounts (not sure what years but mine would have fit an 84). No mods required. For all the reasons above (safety) I used a combination of parts in this order:

1. 914 transmission bolt (longer then the 911 one)
2. 914 upper washer...this has a large cupped piece attached to a rectangular metal bracket..this will stop the drop if the rubber fails
3. metal cupped washer that came with the 911 mount
4. transmission mount
5. metal cupped washer that came with the 911 mount
6. 914 cupped washer that goes over the transmission ears to stop the tranny from sliding out
7. 914 thick washer that protects the transmission ears from the nut
8. self locking nut

Works perfectly

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
I added the 911 sport mounts to front of my '72, the rears would be the same. See the info in the link below.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=101140&hl=
euro911
We checked all the 914 mounts we had here (existing and spares), and found they all had bad cracks.

We had several spare 911 mounts, so we used them to mount the trans with the OEM 914 hardware (upper and lower cupped-plates, bolt washers, etc.)

I fail to see how the trans would drop using 911 mounts with OEM 914 hardware. confused24.gif

Also, the difference in height between the OEM 914 and 911 mounts was less than .25"

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.