Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: competition tires question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
the recent threads about tires got me thinking ...

idea.gif

i will continue to drive my car on the street, so for now i'm
looking for DOT-approved tires only.

1) Kuhmo's
+ the ECSTA V710 have a UTQG of 30 C/A
+ they only weight 18 lbs each
- they do NOT come in 225 size, only 205

2) Yokohama's
+ the A032R comes in 225 size
- they have a UTQG of 60 A/A
- they weight 22.84 lbs each

sooo, the question is, should i go smaller (205) but have a better UTQG or should i go wider (225) with a lower UTQG ???

or should i consider a completely different brand?

anyone?
confused24.gif Andy
boxstr
The Kumho ECSTA V710 has been banned by the ORPCA, for solo and racing use, and I am sure it may banned in other regions.
I don't know if this will have any bearing on your selections???
CCLINTIRERACK
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxstr @ May 4 2004, 10:12 PM)
The Kumho ECSTA V710 has been banned by the ORPCA, for solo and racing use, and I am sure it may banned in other regions.

i know, but they're replacing them with a new model (same name/number). the stats that i posted are for the new tires that will be available soon ...

sooo, what about my question ????

Andy
SirAndy
is wider with less gripp better than smaller with more grip?

confused24.gif
Mueller
I'd say the 205/50 sized tire is going to be your best bang for the buck right now.

I'm like you I think, I want darn near the biggest tire that I can run, but the logical side rules that the added weight and rolling resistance and the gearing change of the 225/50 tire are too much to overcome with the current motor and driving skill.

IMHO, you'll be faster/quicker with the 205-50's than the bigger tires.
GWN7
surface area X the stickeyness = ?

You would have to research how they came up with the UTQG rating

What's the difference in $

and one is 20% lighter
SirAndy
QUOTE(GWN7 @ May 4 2004, 10:38 PM)
What's the difference in $

they're both on the expensive side of things ... sad.gif
L8Apex
A032R's suck. super loud and not that sticky. I'd get some Toyo RA1's. they have 205/50/15's.
J P Stein
Last I heard, the 710 were gonna come out in late summer in the 225 size........that has prolly been put off till they get their problems solved.

You have 3 choices, IMO, Vracers and 2 kinds of Hoosiers (S03 & S04). 4 ea 225 Hoosiers are groana (pun) run ya
over 800 bucks.... The Kuhmos, around 600-650.

Vracers are good tires that wear well (for an AX tire),but they like negative camber....and lots of it, as do the Hoosiers.

The AX experts say the order of importance is:

1) driver
2) tires
3) alignment
4) suspension
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

If I had a vote, i'd say buy another set of cookies for $50 each, and buy the 225 kumho's. You can then put the auto-x tires on for the event, drive there and back, and still be "sticky". I liked the Kumho's when we ran them....

I like the wider tires.... laugh.gif

Bill P.
ChrisReale
Or you could try the Falken Azien sport. A bit harder (200) but it will keep you from getting points added for "racing" tiars.
Rusty
QUOTE(boxstr @ May 5 2004, 09:12 AM)

Uhhh.. why? Are they unsafe?
Joseph Mills
I echo what Bill said. Pick up some inexpensive wheels and go with the Kumhos.

That said, the Falken Aziens that Chris recommended are a good street performance tire and are very inexpensive (350.00 set?).
seanery
I would get the Falken's. I'm considering (well, I was til I broke the motor) doing this as well as a good compromise for street/track.
joea9146
Check here for the safety issues

http://kumhousa.com/V710.asp
Dave_Darling
You can't get the 710s any more, so it's a moot point. They've been recalled by Kumho.

Don't use competition tires on the street. They're way too spendy to waste like that. The exception would be the A032R, which is not a very sticky competition tire.

I'm with the others--get yourself a cheap-ass set of cookie cutters and get real competition tires. The older V700s are fine, Hoosiers are better but more $$ and don't last. Or A032Rs if you want them to last for a while.

--DD
brant
Andy,

here is my $.02
I've been running victoracers and yoko A032R's since they each came out...

I switch back and forth at events depending upon qualifying/ practice/ how clean the track is/ if its early in an event weekend/ and wear of course.....

A032R's don't work for our light cars..
buy the victoracers....

regarding 205 versus 225.....(both are available in the victoracer)....

a friend of mine would beat me on a long track running 205's on the front and 225's on his back...
(I run 225's at all 4 corners)..

It was a big track with lots of top speed and I'm pretty sure he was getting an aero advantage out of his front 205's on a 6inch rim... (versus my 225/7inch)

but I think your talking autox..
so just go with the 225's and buy some spare cookies.

(oh.. I need another set of $50/each 7-cookies, so when you find them get me some too...)

b
Jeroen
Ok, how about the Toyo RA-1
I've read very good reports on the racinglist @ rennlist

cheers,

Jeroen
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 5 2004, 06:21 PM)
Ok, how about the Toyo RA-1
I've read very good reports on the racinglist @ rennlist

cheers,

Jeroen

I have a Grassroots Motorsports issue that did a comparison between The Toyo RA-1, the new Hancook Dot-R tire and the Yoko AO32R's. Basically best was Yoko, then Toyo, then the Hancook IIRC
J P Stein
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ May 5 2004, 06:28 PM)

I have a Grassroots Motorsports issue that did a comparison between The Toyo RA-1, the new Hancook Dot-R tire and the Yoko AO32R's. Basically best was Yoko, then Toyo, then the Hancook IIRC

Yeah, but take note of what they were NOT compared against..
On a 40-50 sec course, the Hoosier and Kumho AX tiars are worth 2 sec.....give or take a bit....over
all other non-slicks.
Brad Roberts
Run the 205. You dont have enough motor to push around 225's. Buy a second set of rims and haul them around or store them with me and I'll drag them to the events for you.

I think the Kuhmo's work great... I also drove the Falkins this past weekend.. They are AWESOME for a cheap tire with a 200 wear rating.

The "quick" guy in class BX was running Kuhmo's and 46's towards the end of the day. I ran Jason's car 3 times after the event and ran 48's. I got out of the car (I didnt run at all during the event) and told Jason the car had 46's in it.. Darren says he wants to drive it and jumps in it. I tell him it has 46's in it and tell him to back off his braking pressure by half compared to the car he was used to running.. he clicks off a 46 first time out in the car !! on the Falkens.

B
ChrisReale
I am getting a set of these to stick on my fuchs

IPB Image

http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_t.htm
brant
In my experience with the Yoko's.....
our cars don't weigh enought to make them work.
I've run kumho's and yokos on a heavy 944 turbo that I used to help run... In that situation the yoko was superior....

on my teener I wasn't getting enough tire temp into the yoko's until after I put the locked rear end in and started slidding the crap out of it.. that when I noticed an improvement in the yoko.....

but I still prefer the kumho

brant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.