Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling all 3.2 and 3.6 guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I'm in the wiring planning stages and trying to figure out the best place to bring the DME harness through the firewall. Interested in where others have brought theirs through?? Got any pics??

I'm thinking about bringing it through behind passenger seat just towards center of the factory battery lcoation, above the sheetmetal.
Steve
I'm running a Euro 3.2 with DME.
I was paranoid about the heat of Southern, Cal. so I opted to put my DME brain behind the drivers seat instead of the rear trunk.
I am 5'10" and I still have plenty of seat travel.
There is an indentation on each side of the firewall next to the heater tubes.
I drilled roughly a 2" hole in the middle of this indentation and ran the cable through.
You will end up drilling through two pieces of metal since the firewall is sandwiched.
I replaced the back pad screw on the drivers side with a slightly longer screw and screwed the dme brain into it.
I have not had any problems with the DME bouncing around or coming loose with just one screw holding it in place.

I don't have any pictures but I could take some this weekend if you want some.

regards,

Steve
East coaster
Thanks Steve!

I considered bringing it through that same spot, but that would require bringing it through the sheetmetal also to get down to that spot. Not really a problem, but I looked at coming through the firewall above the engine tray and it seems like it would be OK and only require the one big grommet that's already on the harness.

It looks like there's enough room underneath the passenger seat where the old seat belt relays were for the DME , although I haven't actually done a trial fitting yet. If it fits, I'll probably put it there. I'm 6' and need the seats all the way back. If you have pics of your install, that would be great!
Steve
I ran the DME cable through the right rain tray hole.
You have to remove the rain tray anyway for six installs.
So I only had to drill one hole through the firewall.
If you drill above the firewall the cable might be to high??
The cable is pretty thick and does not bend very well.
I don't think it will fit under the seat but I never tried it.
I just remember someone saying it wouldn't fit so I didn't try it.
I should have time this saturday to take some pictures so I can post them.
I'm happy with my installation the cable lays perfectly behind the center compartment and the cable is just the right length to mount to the drivers side backpad.
If you put it on the passenger side you will probably have to cut the cable or figure out what to do with the excess.
The 3.2 is priceless in a 914.
If you go with a 3.6 you will probably be stuck with a 915 or 930 trans for longevity.
I have had no problems running the stock 901 with the 3.2
I have 1996 993 cabriolet and the 914 is much faster and it corners better.
Even though the 993 definetly has better brakes.
I have 914-6 rear calipers with aluminum S calipers in the front.
I need to get some 4 piston brembos for the front.

Ahwell a project is never done!!!

Steve
iiibdsiil
Mine is mounted in the rear trunk. Just screwed in along the part that goes up and down.

Yeah, you asked for firewall, I know.

- Brett Smith
East coaster
Doesn't have to be firewall. I'm interested in any cool ideas! I was just concerned that if I put it behind drivers seat I'll lose my leg room. I like to run the seat all the way back.

Steve........I'm missing what you mean by "rain tray" hole. If you have pics that would be great!

Thanks, JD
buck toenges
Here is what I did for my 3.2 dme conversion. Cut a hole thru the firewall toward the passenger side and about 1" above of the central tunnel. There are two sheet metal areas for the firewall. Took original 911 dme harness and ran it along the center tunnel to the center console. The dme box is hung up verticle from the dash inside the center console. Really nice set up.
I have a maf with Steve w. chip. This thing is a blast. I have a '95 c4 cab and a '89 944 turbo and my 71 914-6 is the most fun. The Brakes could be better though. I have '88 911 carrera front end but it still doesn't have the stopping power of my other Porsches.
Had a fellow teener stop by last night to drive my 914-6. He said he would have a hard time sleeping after driving it.
Rusty
Buck,

Thank for posting your first post! clap56.gif I would say welcome, but you've been around a while! Hope to see more from you!

-Rusty smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.