Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing a tailshift tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelt55
anyone know the easiest way to remove just the tranny with one person?

Remember the one person is old and weak!!! dry.gif

I want to replace it with my side shifter....I dont want to remove the V8 unless I have to..

Michael
Spoke
Jack the car up or put on ramps so you have room to work.

Prop the back of the engine up so the weight is off the rear trans mounts.

Disconnect battery.

Remove necessary items like half-shafts, reverse switch, starter, clutch cable, speedo cable, etc.

With a jack in the center of the trans, remove/disconnect trans mounts, remove bolts from trans to engine.

Slide trans back and out.

Others may have more tips or different methods.

Dave_Darling
Use one of your many many spare jack stands (hey, you're a 914 owner, so you should have lots, right?) to support the rear of the engine, right next to the flywheel. You can set the stand up so that it is just below the current position of the engine, then use a jack on the middle of the transmission to support the trans when you unbolt the rear trans mounts. Then you can lower the whole deal until the engine is resting on the jack stand.

Balancing the trans (itself) on the jack can be a challenge. It can be a good idea to make some sort of cradle that keeps it from tilting and sliding off the jack saddle.

An alternative would be to find someone younger and stronger and dumber to pull the trans off the back of the engine and lower it to the ground with their hands. It's not that heavy, but it's not exactly light.

Remember that one of the trans mounting bolts (one that also holds the starter on) is removed by loosening the nut inside the engine bay.

--DD
TROJANMAN
If you have a few bucks, a motorcycle jack is a worthwhile investment.

My neighbor always lets me borrow his. $30 or $40 at most FLAPS
messix
i've done it alone and i'm old "not really old" fat and not as strong as i used to be. it tricky to keep the tranny balanced on the jack and a pain in the ass to get that nut and bolt on the starter alone.

put out a call to do a bbq and beer get together and that is usually enough to bribe some local guys to come help.

ok texans go help this old retarded oops retired navy vet!
michaelt55
QUOTE(messix @ Apr 9 2011, 01:56 PM) *

i've done it alone and i'm old "not really old" fat and not as strong as i used to be. it tricky to keep the tranny balanced on the jack and a pain in the ass to get that nut and bolt on the starter alone.

put out a call to do a bbq and beer get together and that is usually enough to bribe some local guys to come help.

ok texans go help this old retarded oops retired navy vet!

Ok....thanks. I guess? dry.gif

Lol.....wish it was that easy no one around my neck of the woods....want to get my modified trans in so I can do some driving! driving.gif
My issue is multiple herniated disc's and arthritis....but old and crazy enough to try!
messix
oh i bet if you offered some bbq and beer you will find some guys in the huston area!
914itis
Dont the muffler have to come off?
michaelt55
QUOTE(ppetion @ Apr 9 2011, 11:37 PM) *

Dont the muffler have to come off?

Nope..they are actually out of the way..
michaelt55
QUOTE(messix @ Apr 9 2011, 11:24 PM) *

oh i bet if you offered some bbq and beer you will find some guys in the huston area!

be happy to offer BBQ and beer.....just lets work on it before we get plastered!!! beerchug.gif beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.