Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving to the Bay Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
I am moving to the bay area in June and the guy I was renting a room from bailed on me (finger.gif) . I know that a lot of people on this forum are from the bay area and I am sending out a call for help ( pray.gif).

Does anyone have any suggestions on finding a place to rent for the remainder of the year? Either someone you know or a place to begin my search would be great. Just to help narrow my search, I need a place that has a garage (for my Porsche).

Thanks,
Britain
Dave Cawdrey
Stay away from the TL (TenderLoin sp?) wink.gif
L8Apex
Since you are working at Intel, do you want to live close to your work? ie, within a 10-15 mile radius. I live next to santa clara, (Milpitas). Nice place, quiet, good place to store a Porsche is my garage. =). Also location can change the price you pay for rent too. typical small single story 2 or 3 bedroom home rent in a nice area can range from $1300-$2000 or so.
Britain Smith
I am primarily looking for a place in the Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Milpitas area.

Are you offering a place to live or just a place to store my Porsche. Either way, I might be taking it into consideration. I would like to find a place that has at least a one car garage so that I can work on my car without having to travel somewhere, but we all have our wishes.

-Britain
L8Apex
haha, nah, that was just a joke,. hehe. Anyways, Milpitas is a great place, been here 22 years of my 22.5 years of my life. It's really a booming city. There are some nice townhouses near the mall here that have large garages. Sunnyvale is good too. Living in milpitas and working at intel will be like a 5-10 minute commute.
vortrex
check out the listings on www.craigslist.org
silver six
Not to be the buzz kill but finding a 2 to 3 bedroom home on the peninsula in a decent neighborhood for under $2000 is, essentially, impossible. You might be able to find something in that price range in East Palo Alto, but that is hardly a nice area. For a 2-3 bedroom home with a garage in this area think more around $2400, minimum.

Ask Brad about the cost of real estate on the peninsula. It's one of the reasons he moved his shop out of Palo Alto.

There are a shitload of 2 bedroom apartment complexes in decent areas, Palo Alto, Mountain View, Los Altos, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara for around $1500-$1800, but they, unfortunately do not have garages (sometimes they do have covered parking) and do not allow you do wrench on the premises (never stopped me, however).

Check out the listings on CraigsList, as vortex mentioned, on the SF Chronicle, in the SJ Mercury and in the smaller local dailys such as the Palo Alto Daily. Believe it or not, it's a renter's market right now. Prices have not been lower in years.

Douglas
Dave_Darling
Douglas, sorry to disagree with you--but my experience is different from yours. Rents went down this past year, and I'm paying about $1750/mo for a nice place. It has three bedrooms, two baths, and a detached 2-car garage. It is technically a duplex, but the only shared part is a small piece of roof that goes over the driveway. The driveway is in between the two units. The neighborhood is quite nice, reasonably quiet, very close to Pep Boyzz and grocery stores and more.

Others I have talked to have found similar deals.

The rent was changed in May or June, so it's possible that things have gotten worse again. We'll see in the next couple of months, as the landlord likes to change the rent every May/June...

BTW, I know two couples who may have places to rent in the SV/MV area. One is a condo with two one-car garages, and one is a house with a good-sized two-car garage and a separate workshop out back. The way the second guy works, he might have the place rentable by June...

--DD
tryan
thats alot of mola guys. i'm spoiled. 1300 month mortgage. 3500 up 1500 garage. leave your keys in it. don't have to lock the house. east tn.
Britain Smith
I might be interested in the condo with the garage. Can you provide me with any more details?

In regards to the nice house in the middle of now where...you live in the middle of now where. J/J...I am just going to where the job is.

-Britain
madd_dogg_914
Whats the commute like from Tennesse to the Bay area I wonder . . hehe

Maybe he can split the mortgage with you tryan and you can let him sleep in the garage!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.