Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot Start Problem??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
STL914
After my normal 20 mile drive home from work today,
parked my 72, and went inside. When I tried to start the car about twenty minutes later, do dice. Heard the fuel pump but no starter engegement. I tried again a short time later and it fired right up. Is this the dreaded Hot Start problem?

Never had this issue during the 5 years I drove my 74. In fact, the same engine/transmission from that car is in my 72. What causes this and how do I correct this?
Joe Bob
Big fucking hammer....tapping the solenoid.....

Hot start relay kit.....

Replacing and/or lubing the solenoid....
STL914
Mike,

Thanks for the response. How does lubing the solenoid
help with this problem?

Is the Hot Start relay placed between the battery and the
starter/solenoid?
Black22
I have a '74 w/ a 1.8L that does this as well. It ALWAYS fires up cold. Even after weeks of not being driven or if left in the rain. After a good 2 hour drive, when I park it, I will not even get a click let alone it starting. It will start after at least 30 mins or the next day! It will also always push start if I need it to and then runs fine until I shut her off again. What gives?java script:emoticon(':confused:', 'smid_23')
Jeffs9146
Thanks for the response. How does lubing the solenoid
help with this problem?

I did this and it worked for about 4 months then went out again. The solenoid is going out and eventualy need to be replaced!
Jeffs9146
Just remove the solenoid and take it apart, clean it and reasemble it.
Kirmizi
Wouldn't hurt to give the circuit path a good inspection and cleaning.
Check all of your connections and grounds.
Mike
Cap'n Krusty
Clean and assure the wiring connections, and replace the starter with a Genuine Bosch Remanufactured unit. That way you get it all done once and for all. The Cap'n
Greenguy
I've got a 1974 1.8 with the same problem...been chasing this issue for about 4 years now with no luck on a fix. I've checked wiring, tried the hot start relay, installed 4 different new starters, and the problem still persists (had to push it this last Sunday to get it started). The only thing that I haven't tried is the rebuilt Bosch Starter or the 911 starter.....guess that will be my next attempt to fix the problem.

QUOTE(STL914 @ May 5 2004, 05:39 PM) *

After my normal 20 mile drive home from work today,
parked my 72, and went inside. When I tried to start the car about twenty minutes later, do dice. Heard the fuel pump but no starter engegement. I tried again a short time later and it fired right up. Is this the dreaded Hot Start problem?

Never had this issue during the 5 years I drove my 74. In fact, the same engine/transmission from that car is in my 72. What causes this and how do I correct this?

Tom
At the starter,look very closely at the connector that goes on the large yellow wire. It may look OK, but where the wire inside the connector meets the metal connector there could be corrosion. If so, replace it.
Tom
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 1 2010, 04:53 PM) *

Clean and assure the wiring connections, and replace the starter with a Genuine Bosch Remanufactured unit. That way you get it all done once and for all. The Cap'n

Yes, this is the true. Recomend just getting another "bosch rebuilt" starter. They are not that expensive and it is simple more permenent solution, hot start relay/lube/"big hammer"/opening aand cleaning are just masking the real problem. I think the PO in my car put in a hot start relay because of vapor lock when it was hot really did not help anything, differnet problems that can happen on hot days.. and masked the problem for me the new owner..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.