Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TYRES TIRES BUNS HOOPS ETC>>>
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
F4i
Getting my rims this week or early next. I am stoked! But they are gonna need tires. What is the O.D. of the original tires for a 74. I think they were 165 r 15. The rims are 7 X 17 stock fenders. I am thinking 205 50 17 is the correct size to go with. Looking for good wear decent handling and maybe a narrow fit for a 205. Fire away. aktion035.gif
nebreitling
if i were running a 17" rim, i'd go with 205/45/17's

this is a smaller diameter than stock, but you'll appreciate the extra torque (and virtually nil tire flex).

post some pics when you get your wheels mounted!
F4i
The nil tire flex has me a bit concerned. Just how rough a ride am I in for? Does anyone know if the tire selection is much better in the 205 45 series?
Howard
This is handy.Tire Compare
F4i
Ok Here are my choices.
1. bridgestone re 750 $1040.00
2. falken 512 915.00
3. Hankook k104 880.00
4. federal ss 595 700.00

Car is primarily street maybe the odd auto X
Size is 205 50 17 or 205 45 17

Opinions? Is there a good value tire out there I missed.
Andyrew
I have Kumho Ecsta 711's and they are the best bang for the buck IHMO, But they dont come in 45 series. But the 712's do. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes
Joe Bob
I run 225/45 and 245/45 16 Kumhos.....grip pretty good and ya can't beat the price. They are NOT as bad as my 35 series tires on my Dodge Hot Rod.....
F4i
I thought falkens were the latest and greatest. I will have to find local prices on some kumhos. For cheap has anyone run federals? I was leaning towards the bridgestones because if I buy them and the flames win the cup there free! (local promotion)
phantom914
At Tirerack, the bridgestones have a $50 rebate(for the set) offer if you buy four. I don't know if that offer applies locally to you or if you have to buy through Tirerack.

Andrew
Mueller
the ride is going to rougher for sure !!!

I'm running 225/45/17's on our Volvo, when I had 205/55/16's, the ride was much, much smoother smile.gif

do you have Koni adj. shocks and an adj. front swaybar?

you might want to set both to full soft for normal driving on the street.
mike_the_man
I just put some Hankooks on my Audi. They seem pretty good. I haven't pushed them hard yet, but they seem pretty grippy so far. My buddy that owns a wheel and tire shop really like the Hankooks. They're what he recommended.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.