Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
What starters will fit in the 915 transmission? Is it limited to the pre mid 80's starter or will a starter from another model work (951, 964, 993, 996, etc.)? I understand there are two early starters available and that the high output one is the one to have.
Brad Roberts
SR68X Bosch. Fits everything from 1968-1986. You wont need anything else. We have 12.5:1 compression race engines that start just fine with that one. I also use them on V8 conversions. The starter is approx. 1.5 HP compared to the SR17X 914 starter that has .75hp.

B
FlatSix
Are the so called 'hi-torque' startrers better or worse than the 1.5hp Bosch?

I have a hot start problem with my 2.0 litre six and am going to change the starter motor soon. I was thinking of the Japanese hi torque starter, but if the bosch is better... confused24.gif

Please let me know.
Brad Roberts
From what I have seen (I need to look it up) the factory 6 cars came with the stock 4 cyl starter (SR17X).

You cannot go wrong with the late model SR68X (stock starter should be easy for you to locate)

Be careful of the high torque starters. They engage the ring gear with such force (and the ring gears are fairly soft) that they can and will destroy a stock ring gear much quicker than the stock starter.

Try the 911 starter. Borrow one from a friend or shop first if you can (to try it out).

B
fuch toy
The 68X cured my problem on my 3.0 powered 914/6.....
ChrisReale
QUOTE(Zois @ Apr 14 2003, 03:36 PM)
The 68X cured my problem on my 3.0 powered 914/6.....

Those boobies in your avitar are curing my starting problems mueba.gif
FlatSix
Thanks guys. The Bosch SR68X it will be.

I'm glad actually as it will keep the car european, beerchug.gif no Jap stuff. smash.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.