Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Shift Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falconfp2001
Well, I got all the parts I thought I needed but I ran into a small issue.

The Tail Shift Engine mount cross bar has a bolt at each end that is an 8mm hex. It insets into the bar and is 4 inches long.

Thought I could use the same bolts with the Side Shift bar but the bolt does not inset into the bar. Which takes 1 inch away and leaves no threads for me to tighten the nut onto.

Everything else looks like it lines up but I need longer bolts or different mounts on the ends.

Am I missing something?
wallys914
Whats parts did you get? It sounds like you are using the tailshift front front shift bar... that would cause this issue i believe but I am only guessing...
Chris Pincetich
Did you swap to solid mounts on each end for the side shift style bar?
The side shift results in rubber mounts on the engine, solid to the body, opposite of the tail shift.
Good luck beerchug.gif
stugray
"The side shift results in rubber mounts on the engine, solid to the body, opposite of the tail shift."

That's interesting.... I have a tail shift, and I have rubber mounts to the engine and hard mounts to the body....

Someone must have changed mine somewhere in the past?

Stu
falconfp2001
Thats what I'm missing. The solid mounts.

Would be possible for me to do this without the solid mounts?
rhcb914
You really should get the solid mounts.

However, in a pinch I have use a flat piece of 1/4 steel souced from a big box home store. I wouldn't use that as a permanent solution, just long enough to source the correct mounts and get them in.

-Rob
rick 918-S
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Apr 9 2011, 11:43 PM) *

Thats what I'm missing. The solid mounts.

Would be possible for me to do this without the solid mounts?

Double rubber mounts will result in too much engine movement. I just ordered new rubber mounts from Pelican. They shipped fast and the mounts are easy to change with the fan housing removed. Here is a photo of the outboard mount. Someone will have some of these on an old rusted donor car for you. I only have this set or I would send you a couple.
falconfp2001
thanks for the picture. They never mention this part in the tech articles. Gonna have to complete it next weekend instead.

thanks
Cap'n Krusty
Sooner or later, somewhere in every side shift conversion thread I've ever read here, the solid end mounts get mentioned.

The Cap'n
silver74insocal
hello falcon, you should contact Bruce Stone (i think his screen name is bdstone914). he will most likely have a set for you and is local , not to mention a really nice guy. oh and most likely, he'll have any other part you could possibly think of biggrin.gif good luck!! beerchug.gif Dave
Dr Evil
Pretty sure it is in my tech article below, 31 pages of notes.
Jeffs9146
OK, The parts I sent to you yesterday have all the bolts including the proper 4" bolts and should work with your side shif bar!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.