Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Be safe everybody
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Play safe out there everbody. I just heard that a friend of mine fell off his pocket bike on Friday. No helmet, but full leathers, not sure what the hell he was doing! Now he's in a coma, and it doesn't sound like he's going to make it. Shitty deal. He owned the local VW tuning shop, and he did some great things. Here's a link to his web page, if anybody is interested.

CWS Tuning
davep
I can't believe anyone riding without a helmet. I did enough damage with an open-face helmet. Then got smart, and started wearing a full coverage helmet. While I never went to full leathers, I used a leather jacket and gloves. My life is worth something at least. Good luck for your friend. I really hope he pulls through.
GWN7
Sorry to hear that.
914werke
How do you fall off a 16" motorcycle helmet or not and end up in a coma? unsure.gif
GaroldShaffer
It doesn't take much. Hit your temple, or fall flat on your back and smack the back of your head.

Hope your friend pulls through.

- Garold
mike_the_man
I'm not sure how it all happened, and not sure why he didn't have a helmet. I guess he doesn't have any inssurance, and he also has a wife and a baby. Not good at all. sad.gif
Mark Henry
That sucks.

I lost a good friend a while back, older gent drove like granny, hit a bit of gravel, fell off and hit his head on a culvert. He was wearing a full face.

I got hit by a drunk on my bike, that was it for me.
airsix
QUOTE(davep @ May 6 2004, 07:32 AM)
I did enough damage with an open-face helmet. Then got smart, and started wearing a full coverage helmet.

I did a face-plant at 70mph and it popped my full-face helmet right off my head (Yes, it fit well and was on tight). I gave up bikes after that.

Mike, I'm very sorry about your friend. Best wishes for him and those who are close to him.

-Ben M.
morph
Sorry to hear about that, I was going to buy a pocket bike for my son, but now I'm having second thoughts
914werke

I dont understand this mentality.
By this logic if the same Drunk hit you while you were drivin the teener ..youd give that up?
Your agrument will be there is more protection in a 914 than on a bike.(barely)
My point is simply if you love something why let the stupidity of one person take that from you.
Screw that. finger.gif
Ive been Riding for more than 20yrs. On the street nary a ride goes by that some, cosmetic applying, face stuffing, cell phone yacking, inattentive , smoking moron dosnt cut you off or near miss you. If you choose to ride on the streets,
(I do) you accept the risks and improve your skills, that way you'll make it 20+ yrs of riding on the streets. Have I been pegged..yes, Have I been hospitalized ..yes. Most of my riding friends have shifted to the track only (mostly cuz the speed & level we push) I still ride the street. Is it hazardous..yes

But you can t LIVE LIFE in a bubble.
Rant off
Be safe out there. wink.gif
nebreitling
yeah, of course you can't live in a bubble -- but we all make our own choices about risk vs. reward, and those choices deserve to be respected (certainly, yours too).

i'm sorry about your friend, mike. that must be horrible for his family.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 6 2004, 08:50 AM)

I dont understand this mentality.
By this logic if the same Drunk hit you while you were drivin the teener ..youd give that up?
Your agrument will be there is more protection in a 914 than on a bike.(barely)
My point is simply if you love something why let the stupidity of one person take that from you.
Screw that. finger.gif
Ive been Riding for more than 20yrs. On the street nary a ride goes by that some, cosmetic applying, face stuffing, cell phone yacking, inattentive , smoking moron dosnt cut you off or near miss you. If you choose to ride on the streets,
(I do) you accept the risks and improve your skills, that way you'll make it 20+ yrs of riding on the streets. Have I been pegged..yes, Have I been hospitalized ..yes. Most of my riding friends have shifted to the track only (mostly cuz the speed & level we push) I still ride the street. Is it hazardous..yes

But you can t LIVE LIFE in a bubble.
Rant off
Be safe out there. wink.gif

I was making a left hand turn (full stop, well lit street) and got hit from behind. Launched me 20 feet, landed in the middle of the road and a on coming Winnebago’s front wheel missed my head by inches. As it was I broke my collarbone, several ribs and I still have back problems. In a 914 or a bug the most I would have got is whiplash.

On a previous occasion, I came around a long sweeper and a Big F'ing German Shepard jumped in front of me. I ended up in a swamp, a couple of more broke ribs and a broken wrist. My bike was wrapped around a stump. In a 914 I would just have had a lot of bodywork to do.

When Roy was killed I was still hurting from the drunk incident. He was NOT a stupid rider finger.gif He had 25yrs experience and he was a cruiser not a racer.

Last year my daughter’s swimming teacher, a single mom with a 10yr old girl, was out riding with her boyfriend. She was on one bike and her boyfriend and daughter on the other. She slid though a stop sign, got hit and died in her daughter’s arms.

I personally know of at least 4-5 other guys who have had major injuries, but I won't bore you with the details.

I DON'T give a shit if you don't understand this mentality and I don't LIVE LIFE in a bubble.

I DO want to see my two little kids (who I love more than a bike) grow up.

It's called unnecessary risk and I choose to not own a bike. I don't give a rat’s ass what you choose to do.

(and that's the end of my rant!)
ablose58
SO sorry to hear that about your friend for it happened to me once. Got hit by fire marshall running a red light so I laid it over glanced off the side of his car , me and the bike continued thru intersection hit curb and I got launched. REMEMBER , ALWAYS WEAR YOUR BRAINBUCKET!!!!!!!! AL
rhodyguy
the helmet is bad enough, but with 0 insurance?

cheer up rich.

kevin
415PB
Hope your friend pulls through Mike. I have been riding motorcycles for years and have accepted the fact that someday I might be seriously injured or killed. I have never been in an accident, I have almost been hit a thousand times. I ride extremely defensive and know that the second I dont respect my motorcycle, it will let me know. I use my horn or siren if I think someone doesn't see me. I love riding and always will. An accident might change whether I ride or not, but it will not change how I feel about riding now and yesterday.
fiid
Sorry to hear about your friend - thoughts are with you and hope he pulls through.
Neal
I am truly sorry for your friend and his family, I have ridden since age 7
And I had never fallen on the street, taught a class for the Motorcycle Foundation, took the class on my on nickel have always worn a helmet (condition from my parents) and yet over the years I have ridden less and less. Riding my wife’s bike just back from the shop for her birthday I decided for a quick jaunt helmet on with jeans and a sweater took a 90 degree right hander at 25 mph and down I went like was a sack of shit. Arai helmet ruined as it ground down to my temple, torn cartilage
On my right knee, sprained ankle and road rash. I had turned and did not see a fucking 6 inch discarded sandwich bag on the road and the front tire hit that and slipped out on me. What I attribute this accident to is my not being sharp as a rider anymore I should have scanned the road surface I did not, I think this is directly because I drive a car now most of the time with a false sense of security. When you ride you must be aware always and I always liked that aspect of street riding. Your friend Was just having fun and I know exactly what he was probably thinking I am just going slow and what could happen. I will still ride but I will have to tune up my awareness.
mike_the_man
Sounds like he is doing a little better. The doctors can bring him out of the coma, and he responds to people. But, if everything goes good, it's still looking like a 3 month stay in the hospital, plus physio after. He had a major brain surgery to relieve pressure, so he might not be the same person when he recovers. His shop is closed, and everything is being sold. Our local car club is taking donations this weekend at our auto-x, and proceeds from last weekend and this weekend are going to his family. Hopefully everything turns out good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.