Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cooling fan and hub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sportlicherFahrer
I know it is keyed and a wedge fit. Think the key fell out too. Any way to take the fan out completely in car to check? The bolt is MIA. Not sure if it found its way inside the housing or not. So much for a Sunday morning drive...
VaccaRabite
Yes, you can do it in car, but it is a bitch.

You want to drop the engine for this.

Zach
sportlicherFahrer
I'm in front of a flaps(napa) so engine removal isn't really an option. What size bolt do I need to get the hub back on the crank to at least get back home?
sixnotfour
8x1.25 30mm long

sleepin must have been sleepin at the torque wrench.
sportlicherFahrer
Lol I guess Jeff. I'll see if I can get her on the road. Thanks.
sean_v8_914
tow it!
there is too much risk to the engine for you to consider jerry rigging the cooling fan

the keyway on the crank snout may be beat up. this can be cleaned up with a file but not while engine is in teh car. you will probably need a new crank key and the long bolt. the bolt has a wide shoulder and serrated teeth on the contact side. there is also a FAT large dia load washer. teh hole on teh hub may also be damaged, inspect it.
Jake Raby
Typically when the hub comes off the crank while driving the hub is damaged at minimum. Inspect that hub CLOSELY before trying to refit it.

The crankshaft can also be wasted when this happens and you MUST replace the crank hub key before reassembly. This isn't good, typically I haven't had sucess with repairing this.
sixnotfour
Its already Fdup, tighten it up drive carefully if the alternator light stays off the fan is turning. jims in the sevice,no time no cash.
Pacific Northwest 40 degrees , he is not far from Base.

Limp back jim , let us know when you have time and we will come down and get it handled. be safe. Jeff
Jake Raby
Sounds worst case. I'd not drive it, doing so can drive it to death failry easily.
Sleepin
Did the fan come off by itself or the fan and hub? sad.gif
sixnotfour
Sounds worst case. I'd not drive it, doing so can drive it to death failry easily.

He now knows its bad and if he limps it back to base with just the bolt he will be fine,, give the kid a break, it is not a perfect world.
Hell the bolt maybe broke off in the crank anyway. SOL then.or maybe he can spin it out with a scribe.

It kinda like driving with a broken clutch cable , "You'll ruin your tranny"
some can, some cant.
Dave_Darling
If you have AAA, it's a no-brainer to get the car towed. If you don't have a good cheap way to tow the car, you can risk driving it. But it's a risk that you melt the whole thing down.

I have AAA, so I would tow it.

--DD
sportlicherFahrer
I got a new bolt and washer and put it back on ok. I'll pull the engine soon to double check the key way so I can correctly time her when I need to. Btw Jeff, I'm back in Kansas already. Glad this happened in front of a Napa. Lol
sww914
Clearly it was an evil plot by Napa to sell an 8mm bolt. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.