Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 front ride hieght
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tesserra
I have a 74 914 with which I am having trouble lowering the front end. The adjustment screws work fine but while the right side is loose all the way, the left side has .25-.50 of an inch left to lower. At this setting the car is level, however it is not as low as I would like it. Could the torsion bars be installed wrong? (off by a couple notches) The shocks have been replaced with Koni sports. Is it hard to change the settings of the front torsion bars? If I am gonig to take out the torsion bars to reset them should I just replace them while I am at it? (what size is recomended for an oversteering V8 conversion car)
Any advice appreciate.
Tesserra
Jeffs9146
I did this 3 weeks ago!

Raise the car up on stands
Remove the adjuster nut
Pry the end of the adjuster off of the torsion bar
Jack up the suspension
Replace the adjuster on the end of the torsion bar
Replace the adjuster nut

Do the same on the other side and then adjust using the adjuster nuts

It was easier than I thought

Jeff
Gint
You can pull the adjuster cap off and re-index it. IOW, rotate it one (or more depending on how much adjustment you need) notch of the torsion bar.
Brad Roberts
Tesserra,

Your going to need at least a 22mm torsion bar to "help" with the oversteer. They are fairly inexpensive at 200$ for a pair. Make sure you buy the correct ones. 911 control arms have a different spline count than the 914 control arms (not sure what front end you have).

Jeff above described exactly how to re-index the adjusters.

B
tesserra
beerchug.gif Thanks to all! It sounds as simple as it should be. (should be ?? on a 914) I'll try it this weekend. Anybody have experience on max neg camber for a car driven on the street ocasionally and auto-xed. What is the balance between tire wear and great handling? I have never worn the inside edge of my tires out first. I am @ 1.4neg in the rear and 1neg in the front.
Tesserra
Bleyseng
When you install the new t bars be sure to install the bars on the side they are supposed to go on. Look at the ends of the bars they are labeled.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
Tessera,

Negative camber is decided by what kind of tires and what size tires you run ...and how hard you drive the car. I personally start people off with 1.4-1.5 negative front and rear. Your car should understeer like a pig.

Please look at the top of this BBS and read the "new members read this" thread that is nailed to the top. I need for you to put your location into your BBS account.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.