Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: you think you got a rough job?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
How do you get 6 nails on accident? 5 maybe… but 6?

I don’t want to hear anyone complain about how tough their job is. At least you don’t have to face THIS!

Six nails embedded in the skull of construction worker Isidro Mejia, 39, after an industrial incident caused a nail gun to shoot nails into his head and brain on April 19, 2004, are seen in this X-ray image from Providence Holy Cross Hospital in Los Angeles. Five of the six nails were removed in surgery that day and the sixth was removed from his face on April 23, after the swelling went down.

What did THAT SOUND LIKE?

THUNK!
“Oops….sorry.”
THUNK. THUNK. THUNK. THUNK.
“Sorry.”
THUNK.
vortrex
from CNN...

Mejia, 39, was atop an unfinished home when he fell from the roof onto a co-worker who was using the nail gun, Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Mark Newlands said.

The two men tried to grab each other to keep from falling, but both tumbled to the ground. At some point, the nail gun discharged and drove the nails into Mejia's head.
SirAndy
looks like he nailed it ...

laugh.gif laugh.gif i'm going to hell, i know it for sure happy11.gif
tat2dphreak
that must not have been a normal nail gun... it's like a fully automatic nail gun rifle...

it's seriously jacked...

most nail guns I know of have several safety features that should have prevented this...
MattR
Talk about "I hate it when that happens"...
Pnambic
And if you look at one of the side x-rays, it looks like they all entered his skull through the back of his head.

Gee, no foul play there....

What'd you call my momma beotch?
*THUNK* -*THUNK*-*THUNK*-*THUNK*-*THUNK*
And this if for my momma.
*THUNK*

Yeah, umm....I fell down the stairs and I don't know how all those nails got in my head....

I dunno if I believe that story.
Dave_Darling
I used a pneumatic nail gun for about a half-day. I found it very easy to "double", or even "triple", unless I was very careful about how I used it. I found that putting the nailer against the board and pulling the trigger, fast or slow, resulted in two or three nails just about every time. I finally got it under control by holding the trigger down and tapping the board with the snout of the nailer. That usually would only put one nail in.

--DD
phantom914
So Dave did it!

Andrew
Mueller
I've got a gas* fired nail gun, never had any problems, you've got to fully press or it will not discharge at all

*mixture of Hydrogen and something else
GWN7
Paselode (gas fired types) take awhile to cycle so you can shoot again. With my framing nailer (air) it will shoot doubles.

The guys falling off of a roof, natural instinct is to grab on to something. If it happens to be he's holding a air nailer in his hand, he won't let go of it. Every time the "foot" part comes into contact with something it will shoot another nail.

We went to a call last year where the guy had borrowed a air nailerto build a deck. A little piece of metal flew off the nail and hit him in the eye (no safety glasses) and he dropped the nailer. On to his foot. Nailed himself to the deck. We cut the board on either side of his foot and took him with board attached to the hospital. blink.gif
ein 6er
OOOOOOOOUCH!!!! thanks for the memories!! i got myself in the knee a few years ago, luckily it missed all vital organs!! wacko.gif
ein 6er
nailed!!
TimT
I shot my self in the leg with a nail gun while doing a roof.

stood up to stretch my back, finger was on the trigger as I streched my back the gun came up and then down and landed on my leg just above the knee..

So I got to pull a 7/8 roofing nail from my thigh, and take a trip to the hosital with my bro for a tetanus shot

Im not proud, just a little wary of using a nail gun..hey we all live and learn
TimT
WOW Doug you got me beat!!! the nail in my leg was only 7/8ths LOL

beerchug.gif
4WheelDrifter
Someone had the profile shot of the nailed head as their avatar. Can't remember who though.
Joe Bob
The wife thought I was shooting gophers in the back yard again.....we are using a 22 caliber ramset nail gun....empty shells were in a pile where we were sweeping up. Mmmmm, the smell of cordite and gopher guts.....back to work on my master bedroom..... aktion035.gif fighting19.gif
morph
I watched this on the learning channel a few years back, The guy was stabbed in the head by his brother, and was released two days later. this is the craziest shit I've ever seen.
dflesburg
Always said you can't break what you don't have.

How are you gonna kill someone by shooting them in the head if they got nothing in there but air.

What I want to know is was there a big pop and wooshing noise when the first nail went in.
GWN7
crazy stuff happens....I was in emerg waiting for a ride back to the station when this guy walks in and asks the triage nurse to see a Dr. She hands him a clipboard with forms on it and tells him to take a seat. He turns around to walk away and there is a screwdriver sticking out of his back. Needless to say, he didn't have to fill out the forms and got to see a Dr. right away.
GaroldShaffer
My Mother is a retired nurse and has seen all types of mishaps. The two that I always remember is a kid I went to high school lost control of his car and smashed in to a wooden fence. He had 2 ft section of the fence that went up under his chin and stopped at the bridge of his nose. The other story is the guy that was carrying plate glass window that fell, broke the glass, drove himself to the ER and walked in with a 12inch section sticking out of his chest on the left side.

- Garold

PS both guys went home with in a few days
rhodyguy
fell of roof with no restraint device and shot in the head ohmy.gif . somebody's labor and industry premiums will go through the roof (or off wink.gif) and the co will be under a close eye. i love these tales. also the one where the guy fell off the ladder and the auger bit went into his eye socket. i think if you type "drilleye" or "popeye" into the search it may come up. there is an old thread with an xray of that also. if the trigger is being held in, the gun will fire a nail when ever the safety is pressed against anything. not that i have ever bypassed a safety device.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.