Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First (Only?) Track experience
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
I signed up for Potomac PCA's High Performance Driving Clinic. It was yesterday at the Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point.

I was the only "vintage" car that showed up, unless you count a 944 or mid-80's 911. Drew some attention. Had two female drivers enthusiastically tell me that my car looked "so cute!" dry.gif

Lots of Boxsters, Caymans, 911s, including a couple GT3s.

The morning was spent in various exercises, accompanied by an instructor. First up was the skidpad. I was surprised how much / how long I would understeer - almost had to try to get the back end loose. Did get some good practice recovering from having the rear end come around.

Next exercise was threshold braking. Funny, as I was probably the only car without ABS. Enjoyed that. Ate one cone during the combined brake-swerve maneuver.

Third was a slalom. I got probably 8-10 runs at it. My instructor had once owned a 914 and really encouraged me to hoon it up, taking big, wide turns and getting the back end loose. It was a blast.

After lunch, there were lapping sessions with an instructor in the car. First session, I had a hard time finding my line through turns 1-3 and turn 7. Was running WOT for about half the track and holding my own. Got passed by a few other drivers in Boxsters, Caymans, a GT3, etc. Then, on my best run through turns 1 & 2, I lifted too abruptly in Turn 3, nearly saved it, but sailed backward into the mud inside of turn 4. Chalk it up to learning experience and wanting to pack some souvenir mud into my wheelwells.

Second lapping session, I rode shotgun with my instructor in her Boxster. This gave me a much better feel for the racing line.

Third lapping session, I intentionally started last in my group to save others from having to pass me. We were out for a while - probably 15-20 laps - and I really found my groove. Not every lap was perfect - far from it - but I was squeezing all I could out of that 2.0, stock brakes, and skinny 165 tires. I think every car in the field lapped me, but only because it was so easy to catch up on the straights. I even pulled away from a Boxster S and a Cayman through the twisty sections.

All-in-all, a great experience. I have no intention of getting into DEs or even Autocross, but it was a great chance to get more familiar with the performance and feel of my 914. Not to mention, about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. Highly recommend doing something similar in an event where you can drive your own car.

On the downside, I think all that time spent at/near redline exacerbated what was once a very small amount of oil leaking. blink.gif

Other notes:
Met MikeSpraggi for dinner - great guy!
Drove through constant rain, much of it heavy, on the way out to Summit Point. Besides a weak defrost for the windshield and a moderate trickle of water intruding on the passenger side, car did great on the drive out.
flipb
Saving y'all the trouble of finding the TTIWWP emoticon...

I only have two. One I took with my crappy cameraphone:
Click to view attachment
flipb
Second one is the only photo my wife got in between managing our two kids. They really wanted to come see me, but after the hour-and-a-half drive, their patience only lasted half an hour. Was cold outside and there were long waits while the other groups drove.

(The family was there when I spun off the track, but fortunately I did it in an area that's not visible from the paddock. They didn't even notice that one lap took me an awfully long time to complete!)

Click to view attachment
euro911
Sounds like it was fun ...

Had two female drivers enthusiastically tell me that my car looked "so cute!" dry.gif
No pix? ... was your car 'cuter' than the two females? laugh.gif
914 shifter
that is awesome i need to find out where i can do this near ny/nj. i suppose the first thing is join pca. first.gif
flipb
Here's the track, for those not familiar.
IPB Image

Turns 1-2 are uphill. 5 is at the bottom of a mild downhill. 6 and the early part of 7 are a dip, with a climb up to the exit of 7 onto the front straight.
sww914
With some tires and a bit more experience, you'd be surprised about how many of the newer cars you can dominate with a mild 914.
Tom_T
Too cool! smile.gif
...... it probably improved your driving skills in general, and your feel for your 914 in particular, which may just save your bootyshake.gif one day, even if it's on the street! biggrin.gif
John
That doesn't look like the Summit Point I remember. It's been a long time, but as I recall, the track was at least clockwise.

It was 1987 when I started DE's, and 1990 when I moved to the Chicago area.

MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(John @ Apr 10 2011, 09:23 PM) *

That doesn't look like the Summit Point I remember. It's been a long time, but as I recall, the track was at least clockwise.

It was 1987 when I started DE's, and 1990 when I moved to the Chicago area.

Summit Point now has three tracks for cars, karts and bikes. The Jefferson circuit is the smallest of the three and really isn't used for "racing". You're probably familiar with Summit main, the 2 mile course used by PCA, NASA, SCCA and a host of other clubs and events. Shenandoah is the third and newest car/kart/bike track. 14 (or 17) turns in the long configuration. There is also a kart track and an off-road track (and a gun range, military style obstacle course and who knows what else). There were big explosions Friday and Saturday as "they" were blowing up cars for some type of training exercises.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(flipb @ Apr 10 2011, 06:50 PM) *

I signed up for Potomac PCA's High Performance Driving Clinic. It was yesterday at the Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point.

I was the only "vintage" car that showed up, unless you count a 944 or mid-80's 911. Drew some attention. Had two female drivers enthusiastically tell me that my car looked "so cute!" dry.gif

Lots of Boxsters, Caymans, 911s, including a couple GT3s.

The morning was spent in various exercises, accompanied by an instructor. First up was the skidpad. I was surprised how much / how long I would understeer - almost had to try to get the back end loose. Did get some good practice recovering from having the rear end come around.

Next exercise was threshold braking. Funny, as I was probably the only car without ABS. Enjoyed that. Ate one cone during the combined brake-swerve maneuver.

Third was a slalom. I got probably 8-10 runs at it. My instructor had once owned a 914 and really encouraged me to hoon it up, taking big, wide turns and getting the back end loose. It was a blast.

After lunch, there were lapping sessions with an instructor in the car. First session, I had a hard time finding my line through turns 1-3 and turn 7. Was running WOT for about half the track and holding my own. Got passed by a few other drivers in Boxsters, Caymans, a GT3, etc. Then, on my best run through turns 1 & 2, I lifted too abruptly in Turn 3, nearly saved it, but sailed backward into the mud inside of turn 4. Chalk it up to learning experience and wanting to pack some souvenir mud into my wheelwells.

Second lapping session, I rode shotgun with my instructor in her Boxster. This gave me a much better feel for the racing line.

Third lapping session, I intentionally started last in my group to save others from having to pass me. We were out for a while - probably 15-20 laps - and I really found my groove. Not every lap was perfect - far from it - but I was squeezing all I could out of that 2.0, stock brakes, and skinny 165 tires. I think every car in the field lapped me, but only because it was so easy to catch up on the straights. I even pulled away from a Boxster S and a Cayman through the twisty sections.

All-in-all, a great experience. I have no intention of getting into DEs or even Autocross, but it was a great chance to get more familiar with the performance and feel of my 914. Not to mention, about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. Highly recommend doing something similar in an event where you can drive your own car.

On the downside, I think all that time spent at/near redline exacerbated what was once a very small amount of oil leaking. blink.gif

Other notes:
Met MikeSpraggi for dinner - great guy!
Drove through constant rain, much of it heavy, on the way out to Summit Point. Besides a weak defrost for the windshield and a moderate trickle of water intruding on the passenger side, car did great on the drive out.

Flip, came over to the Jefferson circuit from the RTR DE with my green teener about 4:45 trying to catch up with you. Guess you had left. I wanted to see how it went. Sounds like you had fun.
MikeSpraggi
Flip, here's my HPDE in 2007 at the same track .... odd in that I too had the only "vintage" car ......
Click to view attachment
type47
smilie_pokal.gif Glad you had fun. It is tough to drive a car with double-digit HP against all those newer models; I get passed so much my passing-signal arm starts to hurt. If you want to be in the fast drover crowd, all you have to do is open up your check book but that would not be satisfying to me at all. Maybe I'm just an old grandmother drover and am satisfied with my speed (or lack thereof). I really like my car even if it's not fast enough for those who bought a GT3 for their first Porsche . I couldn't imagine spending my kids college tuition on a car. Don't rule out doing DE's, just get another set of wheels and put larger tires on; you can still use the 165's at the concours biggrin.gif . By the way, the Deutsch Marque concours at Nottoway Park is early May... Glad your starter problem got solved in time to do the HPDC.
flipb
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Apr 11 2011, 02:42 AM) *

Flip, came over to the Jefferson circuit from the RTR DE with my green teener about 4:45 trying to catch up with you. Guess you had left. I wanted to see how it went. Sounds like you had fun.

Mike,

So sorry I missed you. I was in the first run group, so my final lapping session of the day ended around 4:15. After that I packed up and headed home to get to dinnertime with the family.

Cool photo, BTW!

Flip
flipb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI5a3lUpGSI

My wife captured this... Note this was during the first session when I hadn't really found my racing line through that turn. A tricky turn.

And excuse my son's narration. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.