Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mushroom effect taking hold big time on 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seez52
Well, it started out just freshening up a few things after the car had been sitting for a while. Mind you, it runs and has been taken out, but not very much. The last time the brakes would not completely release so I knew it was time for some TLC. And of course my son is anxious to get it going as it's never really been in good running shape since he became interested in cars.

So, the plan:
rebuild all brake calipers
rebuild the carbs
adj valves
change oil
replace material on dash face, for the second time in 18 years.
done enjoy.....

Ok, that sounded pretty simple, maybe a couple of weeks in the basement after work, all done.

Does it ever happen that way? So far its been down there at least a month and we' still REMOVING parts!

But, we're having a great time and my son is enjoying helping, and he's pretty go at it, he's 17.

We decided to replace all the upholstery, can't have tears in some and not others, right? Including the back pad. Haven't tackled that yet if anyone has a tip or two for putting the new vinyl on.

More parts on the carbs needing replacing, so I've had to order more parts, twice.

Spring clip on rear brake line is missing, can't seem to find one of those, decided to put SS lines on.
Front sway bar bushings shot, order those and install.
Shift linkage bushing are shot, replace those.
May pull out the guages and clean the inside of the glass.

Not sure when this is going to end. Hope to be near the end of removal, and back to getting things back together soon or all the pretty spring weather is going to be gone!

jcambo7
Awesome man. Sounds like plenty of father and son time. Post some pics of all the work you have been doing.
PThompson509
This sounds like normal "rustoration" for a 914. Gotta be careful of the Feature Creep ( aka While We're At It).

I think you're gonna have a blast bringing it up to speed, so don't rush just to get it driving.

Do post photos, though. It's always good to share the fun.

Cheers,
Peter
carr914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Good Luck.

Look in the Classifieds for any Parts you need
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.