Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Member from Australia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sclarke7171
Hi all,
Well let me tell you a little about me and my 914

Myself, Live in Melbourne, Australia. 40yo Tradesman. 2 sons, Ben ansd Alex. Divorced so i have all the time in the world for cars...
My car relationship. Cut my teeth on the cars from the BMC stable and Volvo's...
Had many British cars, incliuding a mint Austin 1800 Utility. Many Volvo's and rallied a few as well.
Current car fleet is 2 Landrover 110's, Volvo 242GT, Ford Tbird 1978 RHD, Volvo 850R estate, 2010 Holden Ute and of course the 1975 914 2.0

So what convinced me to buy a Porsche??
10 years ago i nearly bought a 968CS.... i so wanted it, but bought another property instead.... i still want it...lol

I was at a car auction in March and was looking at the Volvo 850R i bought and saw the 914 on the program, so i had a look and did some quick research on the net.
It was listed as a 1973 1.7 litre. But later forund out a 1975 2.0 GC engine
It had been writen off by the insurance company due to water damage, as we had a flash flood that gave it a fresh0 water swim.
So i bid on it, bought it and took it home

1st thing was to find what was missing as the previous owner had attempted to repaint it with a Pressure pack spray can.
Wipers were missing and a few small trim items like badges and books ect..
Masking Tape had been left on the trim for the past year as the $50 paint job did not go to plan....lol so lots of citrus oil and its coming off...

A dry out in a mates heated spray booth revealled all the problems..... Bugger all...
Engine was drained and dried and oils changed 5 times before i was happy it was not wet.... Gear box was water tight, but oils changed anyhow...

It took some playing with to get started, the D-Jet was being typical, but my luck is i know D-jet like the back of my hand as i have had many Volvo's with D-Jet... and plenty of spare parts laying around.... Have to try a Volvo 164 Pressure switch to see if they work.....

But last weekend i took it out for a Drive and was very happy, it's just like a Beetle with attitude.... Ha Ha....

So i'll post Pix soon....

Lots to do, but i'm getting it ready for a RWC so i can get it registered..

Ive bought a few things of Fleabay for it, like wiper arms, headlight motors and lots of books.....

So after i get it on the Road and i make room in my Factory, i'll strip the yellow paint off and work out if it goes back to the Original Gold or the Grey it was painted in the 80's or a new colour......

History as i know it...
Imported in 1993 from the US, Converted in Western Australia (poorly) and then registered there.... it came to Victoria in the past 3 years and the owner neglected it.... i wont say who he was, but im disheartened as i contacted him asking many questions and was given the cold shoulder.... the parts missing like badges, trim and wiper arms he claimed he threw out after the flood as they were damaged... I find that hard to believe.. He also said he had a box of new parts he threw out....
I'm not fussed to be honest as it was a cheap car, cheap enough i payed for it with the cash i was carrying at the time.....

So that's me and my 914

Question, What colour do i paint it, its not getting a full Resto yet as i want to use it and enjoy it before it ends up in bits for the next 8 years while i rebuild it...lol

Regards
Clarkie
Gint
welcome.png
PThompson509
Welcome to the World. smile.gif

Sounds like you really have your hands full with this one.

As for the color, I've always been told to stick to the original color unless I was willing to completely strip the old paint off.

Cheers
Peter
sclarke7171
Original Colour is 99
It was painted in and out, in a grey. But done badly
I'll look at it as it comes. I know what I'm like lol
I worked in a euro panel shop for 5 years when I was in my 20's
So paint is no issue
Gold looks good on Volvo and merc. Not 914's. Lol

Clarkie

QUOTE(PThompson509 @ Apr 11 2011, 10:53 PM) *

Welcome to the World. smile.gif

Sounds like you really have your hands full with this one.

As for the color, I've always been told to stick to the original color unless I was willing to completely strip the old paint off.

Cheers
Peter

db9146
Hi Clarkie,

Welcome!!!!

Made a trip to Melbourne and Sidney years ago....really loved it. Beautiful country and nice folks! Hope to make it back someday.

Good luck with the 'teener. Lots of knowledge and good advice here. Please take advantage of it.

Regards!
edwin
Hi there
Good to see another local car. I live in Ballarat so close by.
I just got my second 914 on the road in November. (the first is still on the rotiserie in the shed)
Would be good to catch up and see the collection.
I was at a local car show Last week and another 2 showed up from melbourne and i know Rick who is on here has one in geelong too.
Cheers
Edwin
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Spoke
welcome.png

You've come to the right place. If you need parts, someone here has them.

Let's see that little rascal. I get bored reading. Need some photos.
JRust
Welcome to the world. Sounds like you are off to a great start. I didn't even hear anything about rust issues smile.gif . Hopefully that means you have a very solid car. Congrats
Andyrew
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

99 is a custom color per sample if Im reading the color code right... Could you take some pics of the color (Go under the car, scrape some paint off and get some good color pics.

Custom colors are rare! Depending on the color and your goal with the car I would say try and match it!!
Socalandy
welcome.png
Tom_T
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 11 2011, 09:15 AM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

99 is a custom color per sample if Im reading the color code right... Could you take some pics of the color (Go under the car, scrape some paint off and get some good color pics.

Custom colors are rare! Depending on the color and your goal with the car I would say try and match it!!

agree.gif
... keep it the 99 color that the original buyer selected. You can also order a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche, but it may just give the code number & not which color was selected. Due to the rarity of 99 colors & their extra cost at the time, it's probably worth keeping it to that when you repaint now & in the future. It will be worth more when you're done with it.

You may also want to see if OZ has an exemption for vintage & classic cars to keep them LHD, rather than doing a conversion. Crayford over in the UK (POME-land biggrin.gif ) did the RHD conversions back in the 70's for the UK/Commonwealth markets, but I think they only did a few/couple of 100s total. There was a topic in the Garage or Originality forums on them on here recently.

It's probable that you'll find the original #99 "customer selected color" or "...color match" in an easier place to get to, where they don't usually worry about resprays.

Try under the floor mats & carpet sections inside, up under the roll bar pad where the top latches are, behind the bumpers, or just pull off the rocker covers where you'll want to check for rust on the longitudinals (a common problem) - especially after the flood! blink.gif

Phil Stek on here is also from Sydney, as well as a couple of other members from OZ, so you're not alone down under! Phil is coming over here in a week or so, and returning a container with stuff for his brother & his business in OZ, so he may be able to help you out with finding/shipping US parts. Look him up in the members search & PM to him.

In addition to the 914 Info section at the top of this site's pages, here are some good info sources on 914 stuff:
p914.com
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
914club.com
ClubNARP.com

And TheSamba.com also has a section for old Porsche parts too, as well as classified sections on here and the above websites, and evil-bay. BTW - I love the "flea-bay"! biggrin.gif

welcome.png

I also did the OZ tour back in `80 to NSW etc. with our SoCal Rugby Club (Irvine Coast RFC), after we hosted their Union Club over here.

Cheers Mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
johannes
Welcome to the world... Many people from many countries ...

... ;o)
Drums66
.....Welcome to the World! flag.gif
bye1.gif
shoguneagle
Welcome.

Glad to see another car will be saved and returned to driving condition for future enjoyment. It looks like you have the skills and desire to see the project through to the end which I think is commendable.

Rust can be prevented which I am sure you will handle in the proper and complete manner.

Look forward to more threads on your car. More pictures for sure.

Steve Hurt
914-300Hemi
welcome.png
markb
welcome.png

&

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
phillstek
Mate, you 'd be hard pressed to find a more welcoming and helpful group of people than the members of 914world. You'll love this place and learn so much about these wonderful cars, so welcome.

As Tom has stated I am going to California next week and will be at the G&R swap meet, May 1st, so if you want me to grab some parts for you while I'm there, I'd be happy to help. Pm me and we can work something out.

Phil
phillstek
Sorry,double post.

Phil
silver74insocal
welcome.png and i agree with phillstek, put a list together of what you need and myself and im sure all the other guys attending the rusty parts show will do what we can to get you what you need!! welcome to the madness now lets see some pics!! beerchug.gif

oh and be sure to post what you guys need in the g and R thread so we know what to bring ya! Dave
Krank
Welcome
BTW, was that car one of the ones I saw posted on the net, floating from a parking lot? LOL, you seem to have had a bit of rain this past while.
Enjoy the car.
sclarke7171
QUOTE(Krank @ Apr 12 2011, 12:31 PM) *

Welcome
BTW, was that car one of the ones I saw posted on the net, floating from a parking lot? LOL, you seem to have had a bit of rain this past while.
Enjoy the car.

No it was parked in a street!!!! Water was only floor depth.
sclarke7171
Ohh it's gold.
The paint in the rear trunk is flaking off. It's gold
The floor. Gold
Doors behind trim. Gold

I'll post some pix

Phil
I need the engine cover drain tray
Sun visors
That's it for now. The rest I will source from pelican or 914rubber

I may be in Syd during Easter. So I may come say hi
phillstek
I need the engine cover drain tray
Sun visors

I'll look for some for you.

I may be in Syd during Easter. So I may come say hi

No point in coming to see me over Easter as I'll be in the US untill the 6th of May.

Phil
PanelBilly
Welcome to our world of fun. I say paint the car a color that will make you smile. Sounds like you just want to enjoy driving.

SirAndy
QUOTE(sclarke7171 @ Apr 11 2011, 09:32 PM) *
Ohh it's gold.

first.gif

99 code gold means it is über rare! Sorry to break the news to you but you'll have to paint it back in it's original color. It's the right thing to do.
biggrin.gif

welcome.png
Nürburg Nomad
QUOTE(sclarke7171 @ Apr 12 2011, 12:32 AM) *

Ohh it's gold.
The floor. Gold
Doors behind trim. Gold

I'll post some pix

Hey mate, welcome to 914 World! Gold sounds like an awesome original color for a 914, I agree that you have to repaint it that color!

I look forward to seeing photos, and if you've got em perhaps you can post photos of your 2010 Holden UTE also? I've thrown around the idea of importing a Holden UTE SS-V the last few years... maybe sometime in the future!? biggrin.gif
sclarke7171
QUOTE(Nürburg Nomad @ Apr 12 2011, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(sclarke7171 @ Apr 12 2011, 12:32 AM) *

Ohh it's gold.
The floor. Gold
Doors behind trim. Gold

I'll post some pix

Hey mate, welcome to 914 World! Gold sounds like an awesome original color for a 914, I agree that you have to repaint it that color!

I look forward to seeing photos, and if you've got em perhaps you can post photos of your 2010 Holden UTE also? I've thrown around the idea of importing a Holden UTE SS-V the last few years... maybe sometime in the future!? biggrin.gif

Feel free to add me on Facebook. It's always good for a giggle. All my pix are in there
My ute is nothing special. It's actually great tradesman ute. It now has a custom alloy tool box and ladder racks.
When I got it, I was not content with a V6 producing 210kw. So
It went to Walkinshaw and got a cold air intake and exhaust. Power increase??? About 15kw. I bought a V6 as work would not fund my V8 fuel bill.
But leather and Auto. It is nice to drive and still makes me grin. But my 850R is the ducks guts. It's getting it's upgrade at the moment. Est 300kw at the wheels.

I any of you have face book and want to add me to see my madness "Steve Clarke" or "cableguy7171@hotmail.com". Dont email me on that address as it's my spam account. I use it for things I don't need to check

Clarkie
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(sclarke7171 @ Apr 11 2011, 04:37 AM) *

Hi all,
Well let me tell you a little about me and my 914

Myself, Live in Melbourne, Australia. 40yo Tradesman. 2 sons, Ben ansd Alex. Divorced so i have all the time in the world for cars...
My car relationship. Cut my teeth on the cars from the BMC stable and Volvo's...
Had many British cars, incliuding a mint Austin 1800 Utility. Many Volvo's and rallied a few as well.
Current car fleet is 2 Landrover 110's, Volvo 242GT, Ford Tbird 1978 RHD, Volvo 850R estate, 2010 Holden Ute and of course the 1975 914 2.0

So what convinced me to buy a Porsche??
10 years ago i nearly bought a 968CS.... i so wanted it, but bought another property instead.... i still want it...lol

I was at a car auction in March and was looking at the Volvo 850R i bought and saw the 914 on the program, so i had a look and did some quick research on the net.
It was listed as a 1973 1.7 litre. But later forund out a 1975 2.0 GC engine
It had been writen off by the insurance company due to water damage, as we had a flash flood that gave it a fresh0 water swim.
So i bid on it, bought it and took it home

1st thing was to find what was missing as the previous owner had attempted to repaint it with a Pressure pack spray can.
Wipers were missing and a few small trim items like badges and books ect..
Masking Tape had been left on the trim for the past year as the $50 paint job did not go to plan....lol so lots of citrus oil and its coming off...

A dry out in a mates heated spray booth revealled all the problems..... Bugger all...
Engine was drained and dried and oils changed 5 times before i was happy it was not wet.... Gear box was water tight, but oils changed anyhow...

It took some playing with to get started, the D-Jet was being typical, but my luck is i know D-jet like the back of my hand as i have had many Volvo's with D-Jet... and plenty of spare parts laying around.... Have to try a Volvo 164 Pressure switch to see if they work.....

But last weekend i took it out for a Drive and was very happy, it's just like a Beetle with attitude.... Ha Ha....

So i'll post Pix soon....

Lots to do, but i'm getting it ready for a RWC so i can get it registered..

Ive bought a few things of Fleabay for it, like wiper arms, headlight motors and lots of books.....

So after i get it on the Road and i make room in my Factory, i'll strip the yellow paint off and work out if it goes back to the Original Gold or the Grey it was painted in the 80's or a new colour......

History as i know it...
Imported in 1993 from the US, Converted in Western Australia (poorly) and then registered there.... it came to Victoria in the past 3 years and the owner neglected it.... i wont say who he was, but im disheartened as i contacted him asking many questions and was given the cold shoulder.... the parts missing like badges, trim and wiper arms he claimed he threw out after the flood as they were damaged... I find that hard to believe.. He also said he had a box of new parts he threw out....
I'm not fussed to be honest as it was a cheap car, cheap enough i payed for it with the cash i was carrying at the time.....

So that's me and my 914

Question, What colour do i paint it, its not getting a full Resto yet as i want to use it and enjoy it before it ends up in bits for the next 8 years while i rebuild it...lol

Regards
Clarkie

Welcome Clarkie,
British cars and Volvo's eh? you poor bastard. I thought I was the only one that took that path. If your having issues with finding bits let us know and if I've got some spares you can have them for the price of shipping. Everybody has spares for these things. This site has a great group of guys and gals with endless knowledge.
My vote is for ORANGE ....loud and proud!
Steve
nsr-jamie
Welcome or in Japanese YOKOSO E 914 WORLD

99 is super cool and gold!!! Wow !!!!

Stay gold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I got that from the movie Outsiders)

Please post pics when you can, this place is great to make new friends, connection and get parts. I made lots of progress with my car over the last year or so and I live in Japan.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Downunderman
Clarkie,

If you are going to be in Sydney over Easter, I will be racing mine at Eastern Creek Friday, Saturday and Sunday, although I will probably pass on the Sunday races and catch up with some family. Garage 30. I will be worn out by then in any case. I'm a suburb away from Phil's shed.

Cheers,
sclarke7171
QUOTE(Downunderman @ Apr 13 2011, 05:20 AM) *

Clarkie,

If you are going to be in Sydney over Easter, I will be racing mine at Eastern Creek Friday, Saturday and Sunday, although I will probably pass on the Sunday races and catch up with some family. Garage 30. I will be worn out by then in any case. I'm a suburb away from Phil's shed.

Cheers,

I will wait until he is back. Then catch up with you both
Even thou Sydney is a day drive, time is the killer.
mojorisen914
welcome.png
sclarke7171
Thank you all for your help and advice
I'm going to give it a quick paint job soon just so I can get it in the road and use it
Then when time permits I'll strip it and rebuild it properly
I have to tidy up the RHD conversion as it's a tad rough
The welds are not to my liking. Plus the hell hole has some attention needed. But that's an easy fix.
I'll post pix this weekend

Clarkie
sww914
So, in Oz is the hell hole on the other side of the car? smile.gif
sclarke7171
Pix as requested
As you can see it's yellow, but was grey before that, and it's orig Colour GOLD

Not fond of Gold, but let's see what I come up with over the next 10 years. Lol

Bought a g worth of stuff from 914 rubber and pelican to get it running right and looking better. So
I plan on getting it registered in the next 6 months. Depending on what it needs

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

See it is gold. Lol

Last Colour it was
IPB Image

And my 2010 Holden ute. 1 week old at photo. Photo taken in country Victoria. Where all good farm utes reside
IPB Image
IPB Image

Thanks for all your help and advice

Clarkie

Mike Bellis
Your paint code L99K come back as Copper Metalic 1975 based on this info http://www.p914.com/p914_paint_75.htm If so, that is an awesome color...
sclarke7171
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 14 2011, 10:42 AM) *

Your paint code L99K come back as Copper Metalic 1975 based on this info http://www.p914.com/p914_paint_75.htm If so, that is an awesome color...
agree.gif

I'll start stripping the yellow off soon. I'm hoping turps will get it off the Von sticker and Colour plate
abnrdo
welcome.png Welcome!!

That Holden is to die for!!! Love the color too! Its almost the same color as my Palma Green Metallic 75!

sclarke7171
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Apr 15 2011, 02:07 AM) *

welcome.png Welcome!!

That Holden is to die for!!! Love the color too! Its almost the same color as my Palma Green Metallic 75!

Common over here. Every 21yo builder or plumber has one. They are cheap really. Mine was $40k, leather and auto. 210kw v6

I'll take a pic of it a year later. It's dirty, ladders on it and full of gas bottles. I'm very happy with it. Besides the hail damage. Lol

When I got it, it was the only green one I saw for ages. Now there is a few around

Utes in Oz are very common. I got excited the other day. I was at pick a part and saw a mint Austin 1800 ute in the car park. I miss my land crab

Clarkie
Andyrew
That holden is awesome!!

The yellow was painted with a paint brush!! AHH!!

However the car looks like in overall really good condition!!
nsr-jamie
Cool, your steering wheel is on the wrong side, I love it! Nice Holden too, saw a couple of them in Japan...I actually made some of the tooling for that car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.