Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I searched the "tire" threads...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
red914
Sears is having a pretty good sale on Kumho HP4 (is that the right name?). i have figured out, by searching the threads, that 195/60R15 will fit very nicely on my car. Kumho seems to make a good tire; i nice balance between performance and wear.

Can anyone think of a reason why i should not try to get a set mounted on my car? Providing, of course, that the chief Financial Officer approves the purchase, i mean. The car is a daily driver, 4-bolt Fuchs, 1.7, etc. etc. Several of the Puget Sound guys (Dino, Kevin, Geoff, Al, others) have seen it. Any comments, extra wisdom, or snide remarks about this idea of mine? The tires that are on right now are "Laramie" or something like that. 165R15. ride hard. may be a bit lopsided? or that could be me.
Brad Roberts
The 195/60/15 was the first tire I ever put on my first 914. They work great on Fuchs or any other stock 914 wheel for that matter. You will be very happy.

Here is how to handle the wife:

It is a *safety* issue.. you NEED new tires or the kids wont be safe riding in the car.. biggrin.gif

B
red914
ooooo, you're good! pray.gif

the kumho is a good tire, then, eh?
ninefourteener
I'm running 205/60's on my 4-lug fuchs... From what I understand, thats pretty common with non-flared cars????
rhodyguy
shane, you will be very pleased with the fit of the 195s. after looking at dave hunt's car with the 205s i figure they would fit on the 4 lugs, probably. get a price from discount tire as well. they are pretty competitive.

kevin
Part Pricer
I just put Kumho HP4s on my '99 Passat and I am very happy with them. They are very good in the wet as well dry roads.

Before I bought them, I was a little concerned since I had heard that the road noise would be a little louder than the Michelins that I was replacing. That hasn't been a problem.

Oh, they were also 1/3 of the price of the Michelins with a better warranty.

Good tire. smilie_pokal.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I highly recommend the Kumho's. I run the ecsta mx 205/50/15 on stock size wheels. Fit is great, and they are very sticky. If ya do alot of highway driving, go with the 60's. 195/60's are an excellent choice also, and the speedo will be very close.
rhodyguy
i figure close as reads about 10% higher than actual speeds with the 195/60. i never know how fast i'm going.

kevin
red914
Kevin,

I checked the Discount Tire website, but the Sears price, until 15 May, for 4 mounted/ balanced 195/60HR15s is $269.20. At that price, i just might be able to convince the Chief Financial Officer of the household that it is a good deal.

Of course, Brad's idea of stating it as a "safety issue" is what will probably swing the decision in favor of this fun loving boy... wink.gif
Levi
QUOTE(red914 @ May 8 2004, 08:34 AM)
I checked the Discount Tire website, but the Sears price, until 15 May, for 4 mounted/ balanced 195/60HR15s is $269.20,:

I buy almost all of my tires from Discount Tire, I always deal with the same guy
All of that to say they really take care of me and have All the free stuff..rotation, balancing, etc...for the life of the tire, but you should talk to the face to face.
I know they will at least meet the sears price and might do you a little better.

Thanks for listening to my .02 wink.gif laugh.gif :lol
red914
given those recommendations, i will give them a call. thanks for the input.

btw, Levi, where exactly are you over there in the sunny part of the state? i grew up in Coeur d'Alene, so i am familiar with Spokane.

maybe "grew up" isn't an appropriate verb... laugh.gif
red914
well, you guys were right. discount tire beat the sears sale price by just over ten bucks. the tires are now on order. once again, the information i get here is awesome! pray.gif thanks for the scoop!
rhodyguy
shane, where ever you get your tires you must tell them you want to remove the center caps for the fuch wheels. put them back on yourself. they will ruin them if you let them get away with it.

kevin
red914
Kevin,

my center caps are none too pretty as it is, but i will take your advice. what is the prefered tool? how 'bout a 24 oz framing hammer? laugh.gif or something softer, like my head? wacko.gif
Levi
QUOTE(red914 @ May 8 2004, 12:46 PM)
btw, Levi, where exactly are you over there in the sunny part of the state?  i grew up in Coeur d'Alene, so i am familiar with Spokane.

maybe "grew up" isn't an appropriate verb...  :lol:

I live on 10 acres 20 miles North of Spokane off Hwy 2 between Spokane and Deer Park.
Do you ever make back to this part of the country?
red914
i try to get back a few times a year, as i still have grandmothers in north idaho (kellogg and st. maries). nothing in cd'a for me anymore, unless an old friend comes home from china this summer. i keep thinking i am going to make a whirlwind trip to see the grandmothers, and take the teener. if'n i do, i may have to stop by to see that impressive stable you maintain!
Levi
QUOTE(red914 @ May 8 2004, 03:24 PM)
if'n i do, i may have to stop by to see that impressive stable you maintain!

Common by, your always welcome...we would have to make it a party. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

I'm not sure about the "impressive stable " seems more like a wrecking yard around here lately.
One of my friends told me the other night that " its lookin like the reservation aroung here".
MattR
Has anyone run falken azines 205/50/15 on a 15x6 in fake 5 spoke fuch? Thats what Im planning on running in my non-flared 5 lug conversion -4. Any forseeable problems?
rhodyguy
shane, imagine them even worse. i use a broken hammer handle to catch the edge of the cap from the back side and work them off with another hammer. a little pentrant helps a bunch. matt, as for the fake fuch wheels the back spacing would cause me some consern.

kevin
TheCabinetmaker
A short piece of 1 1/2" pvc turned down to fit from the back works just fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.