Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Has anyone seen or made a purchase of 165 / 80 / 15 tires ? Seems that they are hard to find; what tire size might be closest ?
ConeDodger
The last time I was at Harvey Weidman's place he showed me a room where he had a few original unused spares in a room. He can also get a reproduction of the originals. I have one spare from my '75 that has never been mounted on the car. I will probably sell that one at the swap meet.

Weidman Wheels - 1-530-534-7903
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 11 2011, 06:55 AM) *

The last time I was at Harvey Weidman's place he showed me a room where he had a few original unused spares in a room. He can also get a reproduction of the originals. I have one spare from my '75 that has never been mounted on the car. I will probably sell that one at the swap meet.

Thanks Rob, I posted the question for a new 914 owner (jetdriver) who lives in Huntington. He's want to go for originality.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 11 2011, 06:01 AM) *

Thanks Rob, I posted the question for a new 914 owner (jetdriver) who lives in Huntington. He's want to go for originality.

Well here's a bonus for him then. At PCA Concours national level events when the owner and judges argue over originality, the judges turn to Harvey Weidman to decide what is original or not... He is considered THE authority.
Tom_T
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 11 2011, 07:01 AM) *

Jim, it will depend on which engine he has, since Porsche spec'ed them per performance, with the 1.7/1.8 getting 165(/80)SR15 (S speed rating up to 115 mph), & the 2.0 & -6 getting 165HR15 (H speed rating up to 130 mph); and there are also several tire mfgrs. supplying 165(/80)TR15 today as well (T speed rating is 118 or 12X? mph IIRC), although that speed rating wasn't around in the 70s.

BTW - I put the /80 profile size in ()s because they were/are not used for these vintage tire sizes, but are assumed to be an 80% +/- ht. to width ratio for these older style tires in general when you see 165HR15 (165R15 HR in today's tire markings) or whatever.

If you/he scroll up in this topic I did some recent searches last year on the available tire sizes & posted them.

There are a few more options for the 165SR15s than for the HRs, and Bridgestone makes a nice tubeless 165TR15 that a lot of the 912 & 356 & 914 guys in PCA OCR & GPR use on their classic Pcars which I understand handles fairly well & looks old school. Then 165SR15s range from $60+/- Kumho, to Vredestein Sport at $90+/-, up to Michelin XZX at $200+/- each (those 3 are tubeless).

The 165HR15s are far more limited with tubeless Vredestien Sport+ at $107+/-, or the tubed Michelin XAS at $250+/- plus tube - but the 914's "J" type rims are for Tubeless tires, and the tire guys back in the 1970's used to tell me that tube tires flex too much in a tubeless rim & can pinch the tubes & deflate (e.g.: on hard cornering), so that one will pass CW muster but not if the judge hardlines on it not being Tubeless as spec'ed & having the noted problem in use.

If he/you are interested in trying to bring back the OEM tubeless Dunlop SP57 165HR15's as a mfgr. repop, then go to this link & vote for both price & number of tires wanted (the last choice in no. is really for "5 or more" - e.g. 4 + spare, but I don't know how to change the poll).
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1454144

You/he can Google search with the 165R15 tire size & also with the SR, HR, TR added to narrow it, but I had the most luck with just the size & no speed rating, then you have to go to each listed offering to see if & what they have.

Also, last year I talked to the chair of CdE for PCA about this tire size/type dilemma, and about the Porsche "official" letter from the 90's where they recco'd 195/65R15 (HR or SR as appropriate) as the appropriate readily available tire size for 914s (that letter is posted earlier in this thread). He said that the 195s would be acceptable under their rules, but then again I've heard that the individual judges at the national level Parade CdE will gig for the wrong size anyway. dry.gif

Lucas Tire over in Long Beach can get anything from their affiliate Longstone Tyre in the UK, and they know classic Pcar tires as well - and their prices seem to be better than Coker, so it's worth a short drive from HB.

Hope this helps, but read back in this thread for more info. He can PM to me alos, and I'll send him my cell if he wants to call. I think I saw his Newbie post on here.

PS - I just bumped the tire poll noted above, so it goes to the top of the Garage Forums for you & others.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
////////
jim_hoyland
Thanks Tom, that's great information. smile.gif
ws91420
You can get the Michelin XZX from Coker Tire and I think one other as well. 165sr15
DarrenG
I ordered 165/80/15's from Goodyear. It took them about 2 days to get them in.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(DarrenG @ Apr 11 2011, 11:14 AM) *

Good Info ! How long ago ?
ws91420
For a wide but close to stock height use 195/65r15
FlatIV
They sell a couple different brands.
Some of the same but I think cheaper.

Andrew
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Apr 11 2011, 11:58 AM) *

For a wide but close to stock height use 195/65r15

My first 914 had those and I always thought the ride was better. Good suggestions smile.gif
DarrenG
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 11 2011, 01:16 PM) *

QUOTE(DarrenG @ Apr 11 2011, 11:14 AM) *

Good Info ! How long ago ?

About a month ago. Not very expensive either (around $100 each installed). I don't remember the brand, though.
jim_hoyland
Thanks everyone for posting their experience on this, I'm sure Tom ( jetdriver) will be able to fill the bill

Tom, Let us know what you ended up buying and where. I'm sure some others will be interested
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.