Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: saw a few 914's at California Speed Fest, Fontana
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
Only 3 cars in the corral, and 3 or 4 on track. Anyone ever heard of Mad Bob?
He had a pair of 914-6 conversions there, both black.

Met a young guy with a very nice Signal Orange 914-6 entered in the concours.
Als914
Ethan is the young man with the signal orange '73 from Vista. Goes by '73-914kid on the World.
'73-914kid
Haha, you've got me mixed up with someone else Al. I'm the kid with the bright yellow 73 that was in the car corral...
Mike Bellis
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Steve
The pictures were already posted on the invite thread.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...15605&st=40
zx-niner
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Apr 11 2011, 02:20 PM) *

Met a young guy with a very nice Signal Orange 914-6 entered in the concours.

This one!

Click to view attachment
zx-niner
My 914 felt a bit lonely in the Coral Sunday morning.

Click to view attachment
zx-niner
Mad Bob's cars:

Click to view attachment
RFoulds
Sorry. Couldn't get pics from camera to iPad. Working on it But yes that was the orange car. Bought it on eBay for 30k two years ago. Very clean and in awesome condition. It was being judged while I was there so I didn't ask much. Didn't want to interfere.
DanT
You mean to tell me that Bob Madrid has two 914-6s now?

Twice the trouble blink.gif Yowzers!
sean_v8_914
a 2.7 and a 3.2 me thinks
Strudelwagon
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 11 2011, 06:55 PM) *

You mean to tell me that Bob Madrid has two 914-6s now?

Twice the trouble blink.gif Yowzers!

Maybe he could spend a little money on some hood decals "GT4R" in Masking tape looks like he ran out of $$. lol-2.gif
I wish I had 2 914-6's hissyfit.gif
DanT
Now if he could just drive either one wink.gif
nsr-jamie
That orange car is sweet!!! Is that an original six ?
Michael N
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Apr 12 2011, 06:46 AM) *

That orange car is sweet!!! Is that an original six ?

The orange car is an original 6. The owner, Jason, is from Ventura and has owned the car for several years. He actually bumped into the route 66 guys by chance several weeks ago but was not in his 914. He is seldom on the board but is active in collecting parts to get his car to the best condition as possible. He wants to be as original/factory as possible. The car is clean and has very limited rust in the hell hole. One of the nicest original 6 I've ever seen as far as total condition.

Vin # 9140430770.

I have pictures of if but can't get them off the camera as I AM STUCK IN BAKERSFIELD right now as I blew a spark plug out of the head of my wifes Expedition while crossing the grapevine last night. headbang.gif

I know, I know ....Bakersfield is another thread all together. slap.gif

I did like the light weight Boxster with the fiberglass cayman top. The company was pitching this as a light weight racer on a budget. i think the top was priced at less than 2K.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Drums66
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Apr 11 2011, 06:37 PM) *

....It's a mad mad World.....cool cars man. first.gif
bye1.gif
RFoulds
I only saw one of the Mad Bob cars on track and it was less than fast. Seemed to be geared too short for that track. DOn't know which (2.7 or 3.2) it was. He had a 944 to race against, so maybe they had some fun anyway.

I took a good look at the Boxster Spec car kit. It is a good deal. I built one of the first Boxster Spec R cars back in Florida, and spent more money on my build than they are charging for the parts and labor. Starting with a 6-7k Boxster, they can put you in a turnkey racer for less than $30k total.
You can't be competitive for much less than that unless you go for a 944.

DanT
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Apr 12 2011, 04:56 PM) *

I only saw one of the Mad Bob cars on track and it was less than fast. Seemed to be geared too short for that track. DOn't know which (2.7 or 3.2) it was.

The comment I have heard most and what I have personally observed is " moving chicane"
'73-914kid
agree.gif That is certainly what I saw on Saturday...
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 12 2011, 05:40 PM) *

I only saw one of the Mad Bob cars on track and it was less than fast. Seemed to be geared too short for that track. DOn't know which (2.7 or 3.2) it was.

The comment I have heard most and what I have personally observed is " moving chicane"

Well said.... said but he's the one laughing all the way to the bank.. he was on track while some were on the side lines confused24.gif
DanT
I have been on track with him as have many of my friends....I stand by my previous quote smile.gif
zx-niner
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 12 2011, 05:40 PM) *

I spent quite a bit of time visiting with Bob having met him for the first time and finding out we are practically neighbors. My conversations with him reminded me of an off-color joke I heard long ago, paraphrasing the punch line, at least he is making himself happy. He appeared to be driving predictably and did not impede those going around him.
DanT
It is actually Dr. Bob, IIRC smile.gif
campbellcj
Thanks for sharing the pics. I had hoped to make it Sunday to spectate and shoot photos as well but got tied-up with family stuff.

Re. slower cars/drivers on track -- remember speed is always relative and we're just doin' this stuff for fun. I don't mind slower drivers but I do mind oblivious or erratic drivers...sounds like Dr. Bob is being safe and having fun out there.
Michael N
A couple more photos.

Click to view attachment

Chrome on an original light.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

RFoulds
I busted his nuts about the calipers. Need refinishing.

Great looking car, overall. I hope he scored well. There was a 356 B however, that was incredibly well presented, probably stole the prize.
Derek Seymour
Click to view attachment
Derek Seymour
Click to view attachment
Derek Seymour
Click to view attachment
Derek Seymour
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Are you sure the yellow one is a 914? I've seen more than one 911 that looked a lot like that. One was referred to as a "topless 935" by another club member.

--DD
DanT
There used to be a couple of those roadster911s in GGR competition
One was owned by Ray Decious and the other is still driven by Gary Walton

They were both built on 911 chassis
Steve
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 14 2011, 05:03 PM) *

Are you sure the yellow one is a 914? I've seen more than one 911 that looked a lot like that. One was referred to as a "topless 935" by another club member.

--DD

I talked to the owner. It started life as an early 911T
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(DanT @ Apr 14 2011, 05:07 PM) *

There used to be a couple of those roadster911s in GGR competition
One was owned by Ray Decious and the other is still driven by Gary Walton

They were both built on 911 chassis

Those were exactly the two that I was thinking of!!! biggrin.gif

I saw Walton's first, and it confused the heck out of me at first when I tried to find the air intake/engine location.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.