Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what IF....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
I kind of hate to ask this....BUT

What if...I wanted to lower a 914? Not saying that I will...but based on the size (or actually height) of the wheelwell and stock suspension travel how much could I feasibly lower a 914 from stock hieght...

Im putting a tube frame in a 914 and trying to establish some "finish ride height" I dont want to raise the stock wheelwells....

Any ideas?

Thanks...

Steve
Andyrew
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=117008&hl=

This answer your question?
Dave_Darling
I've seen them so far down that the chassis would throw sparks on any half-decent bump. That one used very short tires, though; I remember 165/50-15s on it. (Yes, original width but just over half the sidewall height. Very much the black-rubber-band look!)

How far down do you want to drop it? You start getting undesirable effects on the alignment when the A-arms (and possibly the rear's trailing arms) go past horizontal, and you do start running out of shock travel unless you cut down the shocks or move the front spindles...

--DD
quadracerx
Im not using stock front suspension.....I am in the rear I think....

Just trying to establish:

1. "How much I can lower a 914 and still use the stock wheelwells or I guess you could call the wheel tubs"?

2. Anyone know how much travel the front and rear suspensions have?

Sorry if Im asking a "dweeb questions" Im like that....

Steve
SLITS
suspension travel?

Take the hats off the struts and remount the strut. Put a tie wrap around the shock rod where it exits the shock and go for a ride, hitting the largest bumps, tightest turns you will encounter. When done driving, measure between the shock top housing and the tie wrap.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Apr 11 2011, 03:41 PM) *

1. "How much I can lower a 914 and still use the stock wheelwells or I guess you could call the wheel tubs"?

Depends on how big the wheels/tires you use are.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 11 2011, 10:08 PM) *
Depends on how big the wheels/tires you use are.

agree.gif

I've seen 'em low enough that i could not get my hand between the asphalt and the floor pan.
That's about 2" off the ground. Is that low enough?

popcorn[1].gif
nsr-jamie
On my car I just adjusted the front torsion bars and not even to the lowest point and that was easy. On the rear I went with the Tarret Engineering adjustable pearch kit with Koni shocks. For tires I am running 15 inch Fuch alloys with 195/50 BFG tires and the car is very streetable...I will have it re-alinged soon and add a bump steer kit. I think it looks nice and is quite rideable...I still have some suspension work coming soon like Elephant bushings, front sway bar and new front Koni shocks to replace the Boges and than re-alinged and should be nice I hope but who knows. Here is a picture of my car....I still had lots of room to lower it on the front torsion bars but decided not to go that far.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.