Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve guide replace, ream and seat cutting - info on how to
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
I am interested in doing my own head work. From what I see on line, I dont need fancy machines to accomplish most of this; Valve guide remove/replace, ream, and seat cutting.

What I dont know, is what to buy to get started. I will be doing this on the Corvair heads first, if they need it. I am converting to stainless valves and need to have them checked in the new guides and then checked for fitment and interference on the seats.

What do ya'll use? Links, etc appreciated.
SLITS
1.) Guide removal/installation tool (just like a punch with a step)

2.) pilot for varying stones for grinding the seats (3 stones, 3 angles)

2a.) Hand drill for using the stones

3.) a machine to cut the angle on the valves .... also known as a valve grinding machine.
Dr Evil
Any examples of the above? I have seen pics, but dont know what to buy.

For seat cutting, I hear cutters are best. Stones reportedly tear up the seats a bit. At least that is what I have heard.

I looked on ebay for examples of reams and find many, but how to use them? Hand ream? No drill, right?

I have seen good tutorials on how to remove and install valve guides, that part I am confident in.

I want to do this stuff myself rather than pay someone. I always did and some day I want to have the tools to do all of my own work. No better time than now to start my collection of necessary tools.
sixnotfour
Send em to John Barnes .
sixnotfour
I hone the guides.
Dr Evil
I dont want to send them to anyone.
sixnotfour
Send em to John Barnes .
Dr Evil
headbang.gif Hello, is this thing on?
tornik550
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 11 2011, 08:52 PM) *

Mike-
If you figure this out- let me know. I'm trying to do the same stuff. I'd rather pay twice the price to do it myself that do let anybody else do it for me.
sixnotfour
you need to go to wyotech not med school............ stirthepot.gif
sixnotfour
here you go;
http://www.goodson.com/Catalog/index.php
PRS914-6
If you use bronze guides they need to be honed or the material "tears" Cast iron can be reamed.

In aluminum heads I would avoid just driving the old guides out. I use a drill and drill them thin but not all the way through leaving a step so you can drive them out by inserting a driver inside the guide and not on top.

I also chamfer the top of the guide before driving it out to prevent galling.

Remember that a valve transfers heat through the seat and valve stem and if you gall aluminum it affects heat transfer from the guide.

911 pics....

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

bigkensteele
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 11 2011, 04:52 PM) *

You shouldn't own a fishing rod either. Gordon's has already perfected the fish-stick. chowtime.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 11 2011, 10:20 PM) *

You shouldn't own a fishing rod either. Gordon's has already perfected the fish-stick. chowtime.gif

Haha av-943.gif You get it!

PRS914-6, do you heat the heads to 425* in an oven first? I have read that.

Thanks for the clarification about hone and ream. I am using phosphorbronze in my heads, which are aluminum. With luck, the steel valves will have good clearance, but just in case, I would rather be ready to do the work myself.

If I were replacing the seats, that would be a different story.
Dr Evil
Here is one of the better/best examples that I have seen on how-to.
http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/valvejob.html
scotty b
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 11 2011, 06:20 PM) *

Oh, you like fish sticks ?
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 11 2011, 07:28 PM) *

PRS914-6, do you heat the heads to 425* in an oven first? I have read that.
Thanks for the clarification about hone and ream. I am using phosphorbronze in my heads, which are aluminum. With luck, the steel valves will have good clearance, but just in case, I would rather be ready to do the work myself.

If I were replacing the seats, that would be a different story.

If you drill the guides out thin, they come out easy and no heat needed to remove.
To install I heat the heads but 425 is too hot in my opinion.

You can install the guides and have a shop hone them and cut the seats. That will at least save a few bucks.

When you drive the new guides in make a spacer to fit over the guide to prevent driving the guide in too far. The driver will hit the spacer and stop. It's hard to tell in this pic but you can see a metal spacer around the guide. The length is the factory spec for guide height

Also, don't use valve grind compound to lap the valves, that's a joke. The valves get hot, expand and don't ride in the exact spot anyway. If you cut the valves and seats properly they are both round and seat without any "help"
Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 11 2011, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 11 2011, 06:20 PM) *

Oh, you like fish sticks ?

Actually, I prefer tuna tacos, but if you have a fine Scotty B reply, then yes, I love fish sticks!!! Fire away ar15.gif
Dr Evil
What are you, a gay fish?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 11 2011, 07:59 PM) *

What are you, a gay fish?

I don't know. The last time I went snorkeling, every fish I tried to have sex with swam away too quickly to determine what sex they were. Bastards!
Dr Evil
"Snorkeling" Eh? barf.gif
bigkensteele
Oh yeah, Cincinnati has some great "snorkeling"! But since you did the clinic here, you already know that, Tranny-Boy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.