Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this head usable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
As the title says, is this head usable? I have several heads however each set has one unique problem, I am trying to find out which I should use.

My question is regarding the large dimples in the chamber- I am not talking about cracks or other issues. (the guy that I purchased this from must have really pissed his neighbor off. He said his neighbor put a nut in the spark plug hole. In addition, F#$@ You written on the head with a sharpie)
messix
for a door stop!

only if you had to.

it looks pretty bet up, you'd have to get it checked for cracks [some say they are all cracked]. and check to make sure the valves are not bent.
Dr Evil
Not worth it, IMHO.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Apr 11 2011, 08:33 PM) *

As the title says, is this head usable? I have several heads however each set has one unique problem, I am trying to find out which I should use.

My question is regarding the large dimples in the chamber- I am not talking about cracks or other issues. (the guy that I purchased this from must have really pissed his neighbor off. He said his neighbor put a nut in the spark plug hole. In addition, F#$@ You written on the head with a sharpie)

Is that a crack to the left of the spark plug hole? I would be most concerned about cracks and the condition of the valve seats, guides and valves. There also must be enough material so fly cutting will clean up mating surfaces.
tornik550
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 12 2011, 08:41 AM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Apr 11 2011, 08:33 PM) *

Is that a crack to the left of the spark plug hole? I would be most concerned about cracks and the condition of the valve seats, guides and valves. There also must be enough material so fly cutting will clean up mating surfaces.

Not sure if there is a crack, it is too damaged for me to tell. This is the worst of the 6 heads that I have to choose from. I was just curious. I have another head that is in decent shape however it has some mild pitting.

How deep can they go when flycutting without causing issues?
Dr Evil
Steve, you could salvage those heads if you learned to weld aluminum and didnt mind wasting a lot of time getting them correct. I think we are alike in that this proposal sounds intriguing rather than a huge waste smile.gif

For finding cracks, you can use the same method that some texts recommend for finding scabie burrows wink.gif (inside Dr. thing).
tornik550
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 12 2011, 09:15 AM) *

For finding cracks, you can use the same method that some texts recommend for finding scabie burrows wink.gif (inside Dr. thing).

So can I treat my heads with permethrin?

Dr Evil
Find not treat. Use toner ink, or other powdered ink/dust media to find cracks wink.gif
HAM Inc
That head has been flycut a lot. The compression ratio on those two cylinders will be elelvated.

Someone polished the chambers and my guess is they were used in a Hi-Perf application and obviously something went wrong.

My advice?
Step away from the junk head!
SLITS
Since it AL, heliarc and a mill will make it usable. Did it for many years for the track cars.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Apr 12 2011, 10:26 AM) *

That head has been flycut a lot. The compression ratio on those two cylinders will be elelvated.

Someone polished the chambers and my guess is they were used in a Hi-Perf application and obviously something went wrong.

My advice?
Step away from the junk head!

In case you didnt know, Len is THE head guy wink.gif
euro911
We know
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.