Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AX newbie question on shock settings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
MY SCCA region has AX in a few weeks. My car is a 70 with a 2.0L. stock sway bars frt & rear with adjustable koni's on all 4. I am running stock steel wheels (for now) with Falken Anezins for AXing only.

My plan was to just run the even with the koni's set
to soft (aka street driving)but would I better to set them to firm and learn to AX the car that way?

Maybe do a few runs on soft then change to firm. We are a small region so you usually get 6 plus runs
from what I have been told. Thanks!

- Garold
Part Pricer
I've found the adjustable Konis to be great for AX. They have given me the ability to make some minor adjustments between runs based upon conditions.

I normally start off with my fronts set to FULL-HARD and the rears set to FULL-SOFT. If the course conditions allow for this, I find this to be my most favorable settings (YMMV). However, if the car is pushing in spots, I sometimes tend to back off the settings on the front.
jdogg
I agree with Paul, full stiff up front and soft in the rear, helps the car rotate a little better.

Don't forget to adjust them back to full soft all the way around before you drive home unless you like to feel EVERY bump and ripple in the pavement....
GaroldShaffer
Thanks guys smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
If you're a newbie, set the shocks up one particular way (I suggest in the middle for all four, but it doesn't really matter), and then leave it alone. Concentrate on driving, not on dinking with the suspension settings and all of that crap. Set it before you go to the event (the night before or what-have-you), and then forget that you have any adjustment at all. Ditto for tire pressures. Concentrate on driving the car--unless the car is undriveable.

--DD
GaroldShaffer
Thanks dave. I really don't care how I placeI just want to have fun and LEARN to drive my car. I bought my car with this setup so I am just wondering what is the best way to set it up for teh novice AX'er

- Garold
Jeroen
If this is new for you, take Dave's advice.
Set them before the event and don't worry about them.
Just concentrate on the driving for a couple events
When you start to get comfortable, THEN you can start experimenting with the setup of you car

cheers,

Jeroen
seanery
i've got a little tidbit.

I did a DE a couple weeks ago. Saturday morning at the track I set tire pressures then adjusted shocks to full hard. Run all day then start to leave and notice the ride is shit. I didn't even get off the track's access road. Oops, forgot to go back to soft. BIG DIFFERENCE. Sunday morning setting the car up, I forget to do the shocks, so I run full soft all day.

I don't think it made a difference to how the car did on the track, maybe a bit easier to toss Sunday, but that coulda been me improving, too.

I agree with Dave, set 'em somewhere and leave it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.